ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Digital Status challenges

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ayeesha29
Newly Registered
Finland

Digital Status challenges

Post by Ayeesha29 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:21 pm

Hello,
Apologies if this issue has been raised before as I can't seem to find an answer. I am wondering if anyone here has experienced or can help guide me regarding issues with the digital platform for checking EUSS status. For whatever reason the online system keeps changing my official name back to my maiden name despite having applied for Pre-settled and settled status using my married name. I initially noticed this in December 2020 and duly notified the EU resolution centre/sent numerous emails before the issue was rectified.
However, when my employer requested for right to work last week, I logged into the system and to my dismay, the name had changed again to my maiden name. I know I can prove it's the same person using my marriage certificate but what annoyed me most about the issue was the fact that my settled status notification had vanished and the only thing mentioned on the online page along with my maiden name was " You can work in the UK". How in the world do I prove I have settled status when my employer can't view it online?

To make it worse, I have a pending naturalisation application that has now been affected by this issue as the most recent correspondence from UKVI also used my maiden name despite the application and all supporting documents being in my married name. This is very frustrating and I find it appalling that despite numerous calls, complaints and emails, the Home Office still can't seem to rectify this problem. Does anyone know how I can go about resolving this issue permanently?

Thank you in advance.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: Digital Status challenges

Post by askmeplz82 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:23 am

They usually copy name from Official ID example passport. I never use my middle name . i've middle name in my passport. HMRC / NHS / BANKS don't use my middle name except Home office
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:53 am

Ayeesha29 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:21 pm
Hello,
Apologies if this issue has been raised before as I can't seem to find an answer. I am wondering if anyone here has experienced or can help guide me regarding issues with the digital platform for checking EUSS status. For whatever reason the online system keeps changing my official name back to my maiden name despite having applied for Pre-settled and settled status using my married name. I initially noticed this in December 2020 and duly notified the EU resolution centre/sent numerous emails before the issue was rectified.
However, when my employer requested for right to work last week, I logged into the system and to my dismay, the name had changed again to my maiden name. I know I can prove it's the same person using my marriage certificate but what annoyed me most about the issue was the fact that my settled status notification had vanished and the only thing mentioned on the online page along with my maiden name was " You can work in the UK". How in the world do I prove I have settled status when my employer can't view it online?

To make it worse, I have a pending naturalisation application that has now been affected by this issue as the most recent correspondence from UKVI also used my maiden name despite the application and all supporting documents being in my married name. This is very frustrating and I find it appalling that despite numerous calls, complaints and emails, the Home Office still can't seem to rectify this problem. Does anyone know how I can go about resolving this issue permanently?

Thank you in advance.
You will see your naturalisation through well before you are going to fix this.

That system is not working well at the moment. My wife was recently challenged by her employer about her right to work and it took us 1 week to get the page working. They managed to check then it stopped working for her. She can't check her status now no matter how she writes her names. I know many people in the same situation.

I don't worth chasing it if you have a citizenship application already in progress. Just when you get your citizenship, ensure everything is correct and it should be the end of your worries when it comes to immigration.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:25 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:53 am
She can't check her status now no matter how she writes her names. I know many people in the same situation.
What do you mean? As far as I know, you never need to type your name to check.

To personally check your status, you only need the document you used to apply, your DOB, and a one-time code that is sent to your email or phone. To have your employer check your status, you only need an alphanumeric code you generate, and your DOB.

Are you using the same links I am using?:
Check your status here.
Prove right to work here

That being said, something interesting happens to me: My old photo of Pre-Settled status from back in 2019 has been replaced with the recent one I took to apply for Settled Status two weeks ago, even though my application for Settled Status is still pending. But other than that I have no major issues, I can log in and check my status and generate the code for others to check.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 am

With my wife, it's not an issue with name but with residence permit number.

Sometimes the page works with her current card number. Sometimes it works only with previous one. Sometimes it doesn't work with any of them. It seems a bit random.

Here is what she is getting today (tried with old and new card)

The details entered don't match our records and then game over. She is settled. But if tomorrow she wants to change job, she won't be able to prove her right to work.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:05 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 am
The details entered don't match our records and then game over. She is settled. But if tomorrow she wants to change job, she won't be able to prove her right to work.
That is... not ideal. But does she have a physical EUSS card?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Ayeesha29
Newly Registered
Finland

Post by Ayeesha29 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:10 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:23 am
They usually copy name from Official ID example passport. I never use my middle name . i've middle name in my passport. HMRC / NHS / BANKS don't use my middle name except Home office
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. It’s not my middle name that’s the issue but my last name.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:19 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:05 pm
Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 am
That is... not ideal. But does she have a physical EUSS card?
Not yet... She applied for it 5 months ago and we are still waiting...

Ayeesha29
Newly Registered
Finland

Post by Ayeesha29 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:53 am
Ayeesha29 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you in advance.
You will see your naturalisation through well before you are going to fix this.

That system is not working well at the moment. My wife was recently challenged by her employer about her right to work and it took us 1 week to get the page working. They managed to check then it stopped working for her. She can't check her status now no matter how she writes her names. I know many people in the same situation.

I don't worth chasing it if you have a citizenship application already in progress. Just when you get your citizenship, ensure everything is correct and it should be the end of your worries when it comes to immigration.
Hi,

It’s sad to hear your wife is also having similar issues. The only reason I’m trying to resolve this is because the nationality team might approve my naturalisation in my maiden name despite the application being in my married name. This obviously means I can’t get a British passport when the I apply as my current passport is in my married name. Do you now see the dilemma?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 pm

Ayeesha29 wrote:
what annoyed me most about the issue was the fact that my settled status notification had vanished and the only thing mentioned on the online page along with my maiden name was " You can work in the UK". How in the world do I prove I have settled status when my employer can't view it online?
Your employer should not care wether you have Settled or Pre-Settled status, only that you have the right to work. At least that's the rationale.

That being said, these are responsibilities of two different pages.

In your own personal "check your status" screen, you will see if you have Settled or Pre-Settled.
In the "prove your right to work" screen, having Settled or Pre-Settled is not relevant, hence it only shows that you have the right to work, and until when.

[Just edited the prove right to work url, as it was wrong in previous message]

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:25 pm

Ayeesha29 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:10 pm
askmeplz82 wrote:
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. It’s not my middle name that’s the issue but my last name.
Why you didn't change your name on your passport before applying ?
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Ayeesha29
Newly Registered
Finland

Post by Ayeesha29 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:04 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:25 pm
Ayeesha29 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:10 pm
askmeplz82 wrote:
Hi,
Why you didn't change your name on your passport before applying ?
I don’t think you actually understood my initial query. I stopped using my maiden name in 2015 after marriage. All applications/decisions post 2015 has been in my married name which is the same name used for the naturalisation application. My passport and all documents are in my married name which is my only legal name. It is only the online status that’s the issue. Thanks anyway.

Ayeesha29
Newly Registered
Finland

Post by Ayeesha29 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:17 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 pm
Ayeesha29 wrote:
what annoyed me most about the issue was the fact that my settled status notification had vanished and the only thing mentioned on the online page along with my maiden name was " You can work in the UK". How in the world do I prove I have settled status when my employer can't view it online?
Your employer should not care wether you have Settled or Pre-Settled status, only that you have the right to work. At least that's the rationale.

That being said, these are responsibilities of two different pages.

In your own personal "check your status" screen, you will see if you have Settled or Pre-Settled.
In the "prove your right to work" screen, having Settled or Pre-Settled is not relevant, hence it only shows that you have the right to work, and until when.

[Just edited the prove right to work url, as it was wrong in previous message]
Hi Kamoe,

Thanks for link but that’s the same link I used to check earlier. Well you will surprised to know that my employer cares about the status and not just the right to work. My job requires permanent residency in the UK and since both pages only state “ you have right to work” and nothing else, it presents a problem.
Anyway, the EU team have advised me to show a copy of the decision email to my employer while this is pending.

It’s obvious my situation is unique so I’ll write my MP for help. Thank you and good luck with your settled status application.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:23 pm

Ayeesha29 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:17 pm
Well you will surprised to know that my employer cares about the status and not just the right to work. My job requires permanent residency in the UK and since both pages only state “ you have right to work” and nothing else, it presents a problem.
Can you, yourself get the "Settled status" screen using the "check your status" first link?

I get "Status Pre-settled status, also known as limited leave to remain" when I check with the first link;
I get "You have the right to work until <date>" etc. when using the second link.

Ayeesha29
Newly Registered
Finland

Post by Ayeesha29 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:30 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:23 pm
Ayeesha29 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:17 pm
Well you will surprised to know that my employer cares about the status and not just the right to work. My job requires permanent residency in the UK and since both pages only state “ you have right to work” and nothing else, it presents a problem.
Can you, yourself get the "Settled status" screen using the "check your status" first link?

I get "Status Pre-settled status, also known as limited leave to remain" when I check with the first link;
I get "You have the right to work until <date>" etc. when using the second link.
Hiya,

The first link just shows my photograph and maiden name ( which is the issue) and no further information.
The second link shows same information but in addition “You have right to work”. Weird right?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:33 pm

Ayeesha29 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:30 pm
The first link just shows my photograph and maiden name ( which is the issue) and no further information.
Ohhh yeah, that's annoying! Definitely, do follow that up with your MP, you have no way of demonstrating your confirmed Settled Status because of this!

Deeply sympathyse and wishing you good luck!

Ayeesha29
Newly Registered
Finland

Post by Ayeesha29 » Mon May 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Just an update!

My journey with UK immigration has finally come to an end following a successful citizenship application.

After a long battle to rectify the discrepancies in my settled status details with no success, I can finally put this nightmare to rest. Although I chose not to contact my MP about this issue, the home office/citizenship staff were helpful after my complaints were upheld. I was advised not to travel outside the UK even with a valid residence card as they could not guarantee that the name on the portal will match the card details at airport check-in. It was a nightmare but thanks to COVID-19, I had no plans of going anywhere.

I know a lot of people don’t bother checking their online status once they’ve received their residence card. I can but only imagine the challenges one might face at the airport/POE if the name doesn’t match.
Anyway I’m glad this is over now and I don’t have to deal with immigration issues anymore. @Kamoe and Zerubabbel, thank you both for your help.