ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Tier 4 Dependant Visa Questions

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

TropVibes
Newly Registered
United States of America

UK Tier 4 Dependant Visa Questions

Post by TropVibes » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:39 am

Looking to apply as a dependant, unmarried partner under my significant other's U.K. Tier 4 visa in order to move in with her in London. She is a full-time, undergraduate student at a licensed sponsor institution. I also hold American citizenship/passport, if that matters.

Based on the research I've done, my only concern is fulfilling the "living in a relationship" requirement. I'm in a catch 22 situation, where we have been in a long-distance relationship for at least two years, but we do not have shared bank statements or utility bills because she lives in the U.K. and I live in the U.S.

The only documents we can produce are a communication history going back two years (WhatsApp, Skype), photos (Facebook), and trip itineraries (Airbnb, Passenger Locator Form).

Questions:
  • Are these communication documents enough?
  • How soon should I apply for the visa if I want to arrive in the U.K. in six months?
Thanks in advance!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: UK Tier 4 Dependant Visa Questions

Post by sah10406 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:14 am

TropVibes wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:39 am
I'm in a catch 22 situation, where we have been in a long-distance relationship for at least two years, but we do not have shared bank statements or utility bills because she lives in the U.K. and I live in the U.S.
See Appendix Student, paragraphs ST 32.1 to ST 32.6:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ix-student

The first requirement for an unmarried couple at ST 32.2(a) is not just that you have been in a relationship for 2 years, but that you

have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for at least the 2 years before the date of application;

You could in theory meet this if you can show, for example, that you were already living together in your home country before the student came to the UK.

Separately, because you have been living apart, the visa officer would be especially vigilant about you meeting paragraph ST 32.4:

The relationship between the applicant and their partner must be genuine and subsisting.

For a couple who have been living apart because one of them came to the UK for studies, it will be useful to provide evidence of contact, visits, ongoing joint commitments and responsibilities, etc.

If the relationship does not pre-date the student coming to the UK, it seems highly unlikely that you would be seen as their unmarried partner.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

TropVibes
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by TropVibes » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:14 pm

Our relationship pre-dates her arrival to the U.K., but we are from separate home countries, so we have always been living apart in our relationship. We have correspondence (WhatsApp, Skype) dating back two years to show that our relationship is "genuine and subsisting".

Is that enough? Thanks!

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:25 pm

It won't be sufficient. At present you are 'boyfriend & girlfriend' in long distance relationship. The Entry Clearance Office will want to see documented evidence of a relationship 'akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years..
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:01 pm

TropVibes wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:14 pm
Is that enough?
No. As advised above, the first requirement is that you

have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for at least the 2 years before the date of application;
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.