ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Special characters in name and surname during naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chai
Newly Registered
Ireland

Special characters in name and surname during naturalisation

Post by chai » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:51 am

Hi everyone,

I have some special characters in my name and surname, for example ö that’s present for example in the German alphabet.

Now, I’m about to sign and send my affidavit to citizenship office and have always converted these characters to an English character eg. ö -> o but I want to make sure what I’m doing is correct.

Did anyone have this problem before? Should I convert non-English characters to one of the 26 English letters or do Irish naturalisation certificates, passports etc allow for some Latin based special characters, so I should be naturalised with ö etc. in my name / surname?

Thank you in advance!

nojoyfrominis

Re: Special characters in name and surname during naturalisation

Post by nojoyfrominis » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:56 am

Approval letter says that the name should exactly be same as written in that letter. For any variation, you will have to contact INIS. If you sign your name In Latin characters, in best scenario they will ignore and you won’t have it on naturalisation certificate. In worst scenario, they will refuse the declaration and ask you to sign new one. So I think you will have to contact them to have right form on the certificate

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:36 am

You need to write your name as on your application:

From the guidance:
Important – your Name, Nationality and Date and Place of Birth which will be recorded on your certificate of naturalisation, should your application be approved, will be as stated by you in your application.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:02 am

Umlaut is fine. You should use whatever name that’s recorded in your passport, including the umlaut.

I’d be more interested in knowing whether the Irish system allows for some Nordics characters such as æ̂.

chai
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by chai » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

I wanted to make sure about this and contacted citizenship office via email, they let me know that the letters need to be English letters and they can't accommodate non-English letters (I'm guessing Irish letters like ó would be allowed as well but a person with an Irish name would probably have Irish citizenship already :)