ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DreamerInDarkness
Taiwan

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by DreamerInDarkness » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:41 am

PhantomPermit wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:49 pm
All done
Cambridge county council
Approval 15th October 2020
Ceremony invitation 21st February 2021
Attended ceremony 4th march.

All the best you losers 😂 jk
Did you attend the ceremony in Cambridge or did you need to travel to Huntingdon? The website is confusing....

successorxx
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by successorxx » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:27 am

Hey Guys,

Don't even know where to start from, after 7 months of depression I finally received my Invitation letter from the Home office dated 24th February even though I had to write a letter and post since they stopped replying my emails...This forum really helped kept pushing.. For people that are still waiting Insha Allah you will receive urs soon and it shall all come past.

M'ashallah

successorxx
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by successorxx » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:32 am

Thank so you so much for this....It worked I wrote them a letter post it and then got a reply 2days after " Your certificate was printed yesterday and your invite will arrive within the next couple of weeks'' Today 8th of March I finally received my Invitation..Thanks so much for your help

nnn15 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:54 pm
successorxx wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:37 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 pm
SamcoSamco wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 pm
I have been waiting since July and nothing yet. I have seen others mentioning this system error before and wonder if UKVI is checking how many are affected by it.
I'm not sure the HO will be fixing it proactively. They've already confirmed that they printed and sent the paperwork for all the applications approved through August long ago.
In my case the HO also told my MP that my paperwork was sent (in reality it wasn't printed and sent). After I told my MP that I hadn't received anything and my council hadn't received the certificate either, the HO re-started the checks and eventually printed the paperwork. I reached out to my MP, sent the HO a paper letter and also submitted a complaint at the HO website - you might consider these options to draw their attention to your case.
Hey,

Please what address did you send the paper letter to?? As I have been waiting since August still nothing from them.
Thanks
Hi, the address is

Home Office
UK Visas and Immigration
Nationality Group
The Capital Building
Liverpool, UK
L3 9PP

I wrote that I was concerned about my application being marked as "complete" in the Home Office system as they confirmed the paperwork for all the applications approved through August was issued and sent. However, I didn't get any letters and my council didn't receive my certificate. I asked if they could print and despatch my paperwork.

I'm not sure what eventually made my paperwork to be printed. I sent multiple emails, asked the helpline to escalate my case, submitted 2 complaints at the HO website and also reached out to my MP. I received my paperwork 10 months after my application was approved and 4 months after my MP first submitted an enquiry to the Home Office (the MP had to submit 4 enquiries in total and also call the MP hotline). As you can see, the waiting times are quite long, so probably you should try to contact the HO via all the channels in hope that something will have an effect. I'm sorry for what you have to go through and I hope it will be sorted out soon.

Bazaar

Post by Bazaar » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:28 pm

Blimey , I've just booked my ceremony with Hounslow council, I knew most likely would be virtual but I wasn't expecting to wait until June 2nd :( :( :( this is absurd to have to wait this long for a virtual ceremony on top of all the waiting I've already done. At least they didn't ask me to pay

mcc1380
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by mcc1380 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:00 pm

Received ceremony letter (2nd class)!
Date of application: 18/09/2020
Date of approval: 10/12/2020
Date invitation letter received: 08/03/2021 (letter dated 23/02/2021)

Sent email to council. Next phase of waiting starts.

pistol242
Newly Registered

Post by pistol242 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:20 pm

I received this email today, from the Newham council:
Subject: Citizenship Ceremony Appointment Details
From: Registrars - Booking Confirmation <registration@newham.gov.uk>

Dear ***,

This to confirm your appointment is booked for 22/03/21 at ##:00 at Room #, # Floor, East Ham Library, 328 Barking Road, East Ham, E6 2RP.

At the present times the ceremonies are for applicants only and we cannot allow any guests to attend with you on the day.

Please, bring your photo ID and the invitation letter from the Home Office on the day. Please wear a face covering. No car park is available on the premises.

Your appointment will last no longer than 15 minutes. You won’t be seen if you are late. If you come too early, you will be asked to wait outside, you will not be let in the premises before your appointment. There is no toilet or baby changing facilities available on site at this time. Please bring your own pen with you.

You MUST ensure that you bring the following documents to the Ceremony:

- The Invitation Letter from Home Office which confirms that your application for citizenship has been approved (paper or email).
- Photo Identification (for example passport, drivers licence, or Home Office travel document).

Without both these documents you may not be permitted entry to the ceremony. please see more information here https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies

If you have any queries or require further information, please contact us on register.office@newham.gov.uk or call 0208 430 2000 ext 57659
In previous emails they said they were preparing for virtual ceremonies, but I guess they've failed to do that, and chose to resume the face-to-face ceremonies instead.

Trinity21
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Trinity21 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 pm

Jedicote wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:47 pm
Hi guys I need on information how long it takes for some one in Nigeria to get his ceremony invitation ..was informed that it was dispatched since the 4/11/2020. Still waiting till today !.
Hi Jedicote, can you kindly share your timeline. I noticed you applied from Nigeria.

yezi0432
Newly Registered
China

Post by yezi0432 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:11 pm

yezi0432 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:23 am
Timeline:
Application fee paid: March 2020
Biometric enrolled: June 2020
Approval received: 03/11/2020
Invitation letter: 06/03/2021

After emailing UKVI multiple times and calling the support line, I finally got this below from UKVI.

"Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority due to a system error. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased. "

Not sure how many people are stuck here like me due to "system error". Looks like will be still a few weeks longer of waiting. Good luck!
Finally got the invitation letter on 06/03/2021 (printed on 25/02/2021) after I wrote to UKVI again to ask for the letter to be expedited. Council was very fast, reached out to book a virtual ceremony today already. Thanks a lot for all the info on the forum. And good luck to everyone who is patiently waiting!

madansowmiya21
India

Post by madansowmiya21 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:30 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone recently attended Virtual ceremony from Birmingham Council.? Pls let me know. Thanks

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:59 pm

successorxx wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:32 am
Thank so you so much for this....It worked I wrote them a letter post it and then got a reply 2days after " Your certificate was printed yesterday and your invite will arrive within the next couple of weeks'' Today 8th of March I finally received my Invitation..Thanks so much for your help

nnn15 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:54 pm
successorxx wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:37 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 pm

I'm not sure the HO will be fixing it proactively. They've already confirmed that they printed and sent the paperwork for all the applications approved through August long ago.
In my case the HO also told my MP that my paperwork was sent (in reality it wasn't printed and sent). After I told my MP that I hadn't received anything and my council hadn't received the certificate either, the HO re-started the checks and eventually printed the paperwork. I reached out to my MP, sent the HO a paper letter and also submitted a complaint at the HO website - you might consider these options to draw their attention to your case.
Hey,

Please what address did you send the paper letter to?? As I have been waiting since August still nothing from them.
Thanks
Hi, the address is

Home Office
UK Visas and Immigration
Nationality Group
The Capital Building
Liverpool, UK
L3 9PP

I wrote that I was concerned about my application being marked as "complete" in the Home Office system as they confirmed the paperwork for all the applications approved through August was issued and sent. However, I didn't get any letters and my council didn't receive my certificate. I asked if they could print and despatch my paperwork.

I'm not sure what eventually made my paperwork to be printed. I sent multiple emails, asked the helpline to escalate my case, submitted 2 complaints at the HO website and also reached out to my MP. I received my paperwork 10 months after my application was approved and 4 months after my MP first submitted an enquiry to the Home Office (the MP had to submit 4 enquiries in total and also call the MP hotline). As you can see, the waiting times are quite long, so probably you should try to contact the HO via all the channels in hope that something will have an effect. I'm sorry for what you have to go through and I hope it will be sorted out soon.
Glad it finally got resolved for you!!

Mak9878
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by Mak9878 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are fine.

My timeline is mentioned below but I am still waiting for invitation letter from Home Office and Newham council since approval on 07/01/2021.

Eligibility criteria: 5 year (Tier 1 Entrepreneur) + 1 year ILR
Language/LIUK Criteria: UK Degree + LIUK
Nationality: Non-EU Pakistan
Method of application: online
Date of application: 19/10/2020
Date of acknowledgement: 20/10/2020
Date of debit of fees: 19/10/2020
Date Biometrics enrolled: 03/11/2020
Date of receipt of approval: 07/01/2021 by email
Date on Approval letter: 07/01/2021 by email pdf file attached.
Date of receipt of ceremony invitation letter from Newham Council: waiting
Date of receipt of ceremony invitation letter from Home Office: waiting
Date of Ceremony: waiting

Have anyone had approval from January 2021 from Newham council?

Has anyone received invitation letter either from Home Office or Newham Council since January approval only? And shall I chase up home office for invitation letter and on which email address?

Is Newham inviting for ceremonies virtually or in person?

Please guide

Jojo0316
Newly Registered
India

Post by Jojo0316 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:27 pm

Mak9878 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:29 pm
Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are fine.

My timeline is mentioned below but I am still waiting for invitation letter from Home Office and Newham council since approval on 07/01/2021.

Eligibility criteria: 5 year (Tier 1 Entrepreneur) + 1 year ILR
Language/LIUK Criteria: UK Degree + LIUK
Nationality: Non-EU Pakistan
Method of application: online
Date of application: 19/10/2020
Date of acknowledgement: 20/10/2020
Date of debit of fees: 19/10/2020
Date Biometrics enrolled: 03/11/2020
Date of receipt of approval: 07/01/2021 by email
Date on Approval letter: 07/01/2021 by email pdf file attached.
Date of receipt of ceremony invitation letter from Newham Council: waiting
Date of receipt of ceremony invitation letter from Home Office: waiting

Have anyone had approval from January 2021 from Newham council?

Has anyone received invitation letter either from Home Office or Newham Council since January approval only? And shall I chase up home office for invitation letter and on which email address?

Is Newham inviting for ceremonies virtually or in person?

Please guide
Hi mak, hope you are well too. I am also January approval. From what i can see on this thread they have only reached to the middle of December approvals. I think for unlucky ones like you and me, we are still in the waiting game for another month or so. Anyway all the best my friend.

N S
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by N S » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:40 pm

19 December 2020 approval still haven't received my invitation for ceremony 😩.

Moha007
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Moha007 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:20 pm

Anyone from Newham, approval on 22 January?

heyaheya
Member of Standing

Post by heyaheya » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:11 pm

sambaixo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:16 am
Good news from Lewisham Council, they finally started virtual ceremonies this week :D

They called me yesterday for an appointment for tomorrow (approval 30/09/2020, invitation received 15/12 dated 2/12).

I can't do it as I am out of the country, but that's a great update I suppose. I had no longer hope they would introduce virtual ceremonies :P
M redbridge council. I m out of country as welll.. and my invitation letter is dated 18 november 2020. I sent them a email with invitation yesterday only.. i m trying to book ticket asap . But still i have to quarantine for 10 days. When they cLled to ask if ur available for tomrrow . What did u tell them? I am worried that if they will call me and i wouldnt be available for thr given time. Would they book appointment for some other day. Please if u can help. Many thanks

sydney19
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by sydney19 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:56 pm

Luluokis29 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:50 pm
Bazaar wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:00 pm
MavMap wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:29 pm
Shazali wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi, I also got approval on 11 December and waiting for the ceremony invitation letter as you are!
I just received my ceremony invitation today. I was approved 11 Dec 2020. Ceremony letter dated 24 Feb 2021
me too, got the letter today, mid December approval, letter dated 26th February
Hi Everyone,
I also got my invitation letter...(dated 25/02/2021) I have moved houses since approval on 14/12/2020. I have been very anxious about getting my invitation letter. Glad it is over now. Ceremony booked for 26/03/2021. Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Please did you communicate to home office regarding change of address. I was approved in 9/2/2021 but I have house and expecting ceremony invitation. I have registered a Royal Mail redirection to my new house. Please explain to me how you go with your regarding moving house - did you notify home office?

Thanks

Simba2021
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by Simba2021 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:56 am

Eligibility criteria:18 years in UK, 7 on ILR Refugee Settlement route
Language/LIUK Criteria: MA/MSc from UK & LIUK pass
Nationality: Zimbabwean
Method of application:Online
Date of application :23 September 2019
Payment method: Visa Debit
Date of acknowledgement: 24 September 2019
Date of debit of fees:24/09/2019
Date of biometric letter received/issued:
Date Biometrics enrolled: 6/October/2019 on the UKVIS paid £60
Emails after emails and complaints to HO
Date on Approval letter: 18 December 2020
Date of receipt of approval: 19 December 2020
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: waiting

Still waiting for the letter, its now 12 weeks since I received approval letter, anyone in similar circumstances

sydney19
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by sydney19 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:11 am

Hello Great minds,
Please do I have to communicate to Home office regarding my change of address. I was approved in February 5th but I have to move house and expecting ceremony invitation. I did registered for Royal Mail redirection to my new house. Please can anyone in the same shoe respond to me how they handle this ? did you notify home office? I don't want to notify and they bring me back to the cue :shock: .

Question : If I use Royal mail redirection could them redirect Ceremony certificate and passport to my new address. Is it possible to use my new address for Passport application without effecting the change in Home office? Just curious - Great minds help me out.

Thanks

sydney19
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by sydney19 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:14 am

sydney19 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:56 pm
Luluokis29 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:50 pm
Bazaar wrote:
MavMap wrote:

I just received my ceremony invitation today. I was approved 11 Dec 2020. Ceremony letter dated 24 Feb 2021
Hi Everyone,
I also got my invitation letter...(dated 25/02/2021) I have moved houses since approval on 14/12/2020. I have been very anxious about getting my invitation letter. Glad it is over now. Ceremony booked for 26/03/2021. Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Please did you communicate to home office regarding change of address. I was approved in 9/2/2021 but I have moved house and expecting ceremony invitation. I did registered a Royal Mail redirection to my new house. Please explain to me how you go with yours regarding moving house - did you notify home office?

Thanks

Shazali
Newly Registered

Post by Shazali » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 pm

Shazali wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:21 pm
Bazaar wrote:
MavMap wrote:
Shazali wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi, I also got approval on 11 December and waiting for the ceremony invitation letter as you are!
Congrats! I was also expecting mine in today's post but it hasn't arrived. So the wait is on for the next week :(
Today I received my invitation letter dated 24/02/2021. My application was approved on 11 December 2020.

moh_saker
Newly Registered
Algeria

Post by moh_saker » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:48 pm

Simba2021 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:56 am
Eligibility criteria:18 years in UK, 7 on ILR Refugee Settlement route
Language/LIUK Criteria: MA/MSc from UK & LIUK pass
Nationality: Zimbabwean
Method of application:Online
Date of application :23 September 2019
Payment method: Visa Debit
Date of acknowledgement: 24 September 2019
Date of debit of fees:24/09/2019
Date of biometric letter received/issued:
Date Biometrics enrolled: 6/October/2019 on the UKVIS paid £60
Emails after emails and complaints to HO
Date on Approval letter: 18 December 2020
Date of receipt of approval: 19 December 2020
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: waiting

Still waiting for the letter, its now 12 weeks since I received the approval letter, anyone in similar circumstances
[Today I received my invitation letter dated 03/03/2021. My application was approved on 18 December 2020.]

sitidis
Newly Registered
Mood:
Fiji

Post by sitidis » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:37 pm

:o So just some information for those who need it !

I received my approval on the 02/12/20

I moved house and redirected my Mail,
After 12 weeks I realised my letter hasn’t arrived I called the home office they said it should have arrived.

I had to go to my old residence. It was there and arrived 2 weeks ago !

Please if you moved after the 12 weeks check your old residence.

Another thing they don’t send your certificate to the council you live in !

Mine was sent to Islington and I lived in Hammersmith before.

I asked Hammersmith Council before I got the letter just to see if there was a mismatch and they hadn’t received it either.

So my advice if you moved check you old house.

Thanks and all the best !

haj85
Newly Registered

Post by haj85 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:11 pm

kenadams wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:28 am
Hi anyone - Has anyone got any updates from the Newham council? The last time I spoke to them was about 2-3 weeks ago with no sign of starting the ceremonies.
hi have u received your letter??
i live in newham.waiting for my invitation letter too.

gk777

Post by gk777 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:05 am

yezi0432 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:11 pm
yezi0432 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:23 am
Timeline:
Application fee paid: March 2020
Biometric enrolled: June 2020
Approval received: 03/11/2020
Invitation letter: 06/03/2021

After emailing UKVI multiple times and calling the support line, I finally got this below from UKVI.

"Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority due to a system error. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased. "

Not sure how many people are stuck here like me due to "system error". Looks like will be still a few weeks longer of waiting. Good luck!
Finally got the invitation letter on 06/03/2021 (printed on 25/02/2021) after I wrote to UKVI again to ask for the letter to be expedited. Council was very fast, reached out to book a virtual ceremony today already. Thanks a lot for all the info on the forum. And good luck to everyone who is patiently waiting!
Congratulations. What email id did you use to contact UKVI?

JKAR25142
Newly Registered
Swaziland

Post by JKAR25142 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi Guys

I just wanna ask a question Anyone the same as me waiting for the invitation letter for eight months?

approved in July

Thanks