ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job Market - Good Signs

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nshar1

Job Market - Good Signs

Post by nshar1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:37 am

Today I noticed some good signs for the job market. It seems the job market seemed lower than what it actually is due to financial year end. Lots of new opportunities appear to be opening.

Last week I had received no calls from recruiters(except obviously from the fake ones). But today itself I have got 8 calls and the day is half over yet :D . Hope it is not a coincidence !!

I asked one recruitment agent as to when will the job market recover. He thought that with the start of a new financial year more companies will be recruiting with newly allocated budgets. Lets hope this new year is not the same as the previous one.

NShar1
Java/J2EE

cskmail

Hi

Post by cskmail » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:02 am

Hi,

Can you tell me where you have moved to UK?

Are you from IT sector?

Thanks in advance

nshar1

Re: Hi

Post by nshar1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:43 pm

I have moved in to London.
Yes, I am into IT - java/J2EE technologies.

Today again I felt that the job market has definitely opened up. Lots of opportunities coming up.

Cheers,
Nshar1

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Anyway i came this monday to UK
Even i also feel the same. I have not forwarded my resume anywhere but received many calls this week. got two interviews scheduled.

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:17 am

I am into .Net.
I have too noticed that market is really good. Getting so many calls this week. I think, its mainly due to April.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:17 am

There was indeed a noticeable slowdown in the market Nov 07 to Jan 08, but now it seems to be picking up, including the financial sector.

Needless to say, due to many firms laying people off, the competition on the street is increasing, but as long as business is hiring, things should be fine...

Fingers crossed ;)

cskmail

Post by cskmail » Thu May 08, 2008 4:51 am

Thank you all for your support and guidance. Please keep on populating this thread.

I was planning to move to London in the end of May, but my EC got refused, so have to wait for two more months.

I request you all to please keep on pouring your observations about UK IT-Jobs market.

Thanks a ton...
cskmail wrote:Hi,

I am curious to know about all the necessary steps required for a successful Entry Clearance. As my EC has already been rejected once, please go through my following post and guide me.

Very eagerly waiting for expert guidance.

Thanks in anticipation,
Charukant

Hi,

I had obtained HSMP approval but my EC got rejected.

Reason provided to me by ECO is

I do not hold GBP 2800 for three months.

I have deposited some GBP 4600 in my bank account and taken bank statement after two days. I was not aware that I require to show a minimum balance of GBP 2800 for minimum three months.

Does anybody know this rule is mentioned anywhere in any UK Home Office document or website. If you know this, please let me know.

I have sent an email for an Administrative Review. It had already been eight days, but there is no response.

In addition to this, my original HSMP Approval letter and original bank statements are not returned. I had applied through VFS New Delhi.

I had inquired about the missing documents, I had sent an email to visqry.newdelhi@fco.gov.uk, vfsuk.north@vfs-uk-in.com, postmaster.nedel@fco.gov.uk, ten days ago, but there is no reply. These people are very clumsy and slow.

Can any one, please guide me about my next steps. I feel cheated.

Thanks
Charukant

HSMP Application Filed: 11/01/2008
Application Received: 16/01/2008
Fee Debited: 18/01/2008
Reference No. Received: 22/01/2008
Approval Date: 11/02/2008
Papers Received: 18/02/2008
EC applied: 03/04/2008
EC rejected: 18/04/2008

subashcb
Newly Registered

Post by subashcb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:23 pm

Hi,
I am planning to come November08, How the opening will be in November08 to January 09.

I am 5+ J2EE, Kindly update the current more wanted technologies .

IF its possible, kindly send sample CV format to my mail id
subashvasanth@gmail.com

Thanks
Bye.

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:29 pm

November could be a very bad time to come to UK.

If you are in a well settled job in your home country then you shouldn't think of coming to UK.

You might have some tough time searching for a good JEE job. Good companies are hardly hiring. Infact the good companies are firing employees. The salary levels are falling day by day and the expectations of employers are sky high - you may face questions from anywhere below the earth.

ubugger

Post by ubugger » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:34 pm

November is normally dead... December even worse... Janurary is so so, only picks up near the end because of end of fin year...

August is dead because of school holidays... Expect it to take at least a month, maybe more to find a role in the current climate.

UK experience counts for a lot these days, because there's so many people out of work. Getting a permanent role when there's so many people wanting them will be hard.

sonivic
Newly Registered

Post by sonivic » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:48 am

Hi All,

It was good to know that that market is showing good signs but by the time I read the last post it was disappointing.

I am also planning to come to UK for job search in month of october or november. I have been working in IT industry since 5 years in mobile application development (symbian) and telecom domain.

As per the comments it's seams that the market is not in good shape now. Despite of the current market condition I am able to see quite a job openings on various job sities for my skills. I am little confused whether the opening are in actual or bogus.

Please advice what would be the appropriate time to travel for job search. After reading the comments posted on the fourm regarding the job market conditions I can understand that the market is not good, but is it so bad that I should not even think about coming there or can take a chance still not at very high risk.

Regards

netacct

Post by netacct » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:57 am

Don't compare the market with job postings on the job site...
Both are very different things...
You could see 100s of jobs advertised on sites but still you may not get the interview calls..
To be very honest, no one can give you clear picture whether you should come here during Nov or not..
It would entirely depend on your circumstances...
Are you prepared to be unemployed for few months?
Do you have anyone here like friends/relatives etc...?
Sufficient funds etc?

There are people on HSMP who got very good job offers...
Also, there are people on HSMP who went back to India after few months trying there luck here...

So, its very unpredictable what will happen...

There can not be growth without calculated risk...

cskmail

Post by cskmail » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:45 pm

netacct wrote:Don't compare the market with job postings on the job site...
Both are very different things...
You could see 100s of jobs advertised on sites but still you may not get the interview calls..
To be very honest, no one can give you clear picture whether you should come here during Nov or not..
It would entirely depend on your circumstances...
Are you prepared to be unemployed for few months?
Do you have anyone here like friends/relatives etc...?
Sufficient funds etc?

There are people on HSMP who got very good job offers...
Also, there are people on HSMP who went back to India after few months trying there luck here...

So, its very unpredictable what will happen...

There can not be growth without calculated risk...
Thank you for your balanced comment. I like to request all and sundry to keep flowing their views and updated on current IT Job scene in UK.

I recently got EC and planning to visit UK in coming Nov-Dec.

I like to share one recent study published on BCS site with heading

wwwDOTbcsDOTorgSLASHserverDOTphp?show=ConWebDoc.19599

IT and computer staff pay defies economic downturn

Key indicators published in the report show:
  • Basic salaries up 4.8 per cent in the year to May 2008;
    Basic salaries plus bonuses up 5.7 per cent;
    Average bonuses for IT managers at 15.3 per cent of salary;
    Average bonuses for non-managerial staff at 8.5 per cent;
    Redundancy rate at 1.6 per cent.

Keep on posting...

custodian

Post by custodian » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:41 am

My EC has been approved. I'm scheduling to come to the UK in 1st week Feb'09.

I have enough funds in my bank to last me for 20 weeks without a job. (approx 200 pounds a week [rent + food] )

As I have sufficient money in the bank... I will try to choose the best job offer out of the few I hope to get.
I will not out of frustration and panic grab the first job offer I receive. (only if its really good)

I'm a techie with 5 yrs Infrastructure Services experience. Building and maintaining enterprise level systems. (Solaris, Unix, W2k3)

My plan... ! :D

pyke

Post by pyke » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:56 pm

custodian wrote: I will not out of frustration and panic grab the first job offer I receive. (only if its really good)
very sensible! all the best!

vnvijay

Jan/Feb 2009

Post by vnvijay » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the information give.
Just wanted to know, does Jan/Feb 2009 would be good time to come to UK.

I am from Financial sector, have 2 to 3 months of UK exp too.

Kindly provide me ur inpupts.

VJ
Cosmopol wrote:There was indeed a noticeable slowdown in the market Nov 07 to Jan 08, but now it seems to be picking up, including the financial sector.

Needless to say, due to many firms laying people off, the competition on the street is increasing, but as long as business is hiring, things should be fine...

Fingers crossed ;)

vnvijay

Jan/feb 2009

Post by vnvijay » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:33 pm

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:31 pm Post subject: Jan/Feb 2009

Hello,

Thanks for the information give.
Just wanted to know, does Jan/Feb 2009 would be good time to come to UK.

I am from Financial sector, have 2 to 3 months of UK exp too.

Kindly provide me ur inpupts.

VJ

Cosmopol wrote:There was indeed a noticeable slowdown in the market Nov 07 to Jan 08, but now it seems to be picking up, including the financial sector.

Fingers crossed ;)

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:07 pm

To be Honest, market is really really bad and NO ONE KNOWS what it will be in next few months. So plan accordingly.

ubugger

Post by ubugger » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Especially the financial market. Realistically the financial market is a LONG way off recovering. I wouldn't come at all to be honest. Getting a job is hard for people who've got UK experience and have 5+ years experience....

I wouldn't recommend it!

Markie

Post by Markie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:41 pm

now the credit pinch is affecting all across the world...think wisely and do not jump eagerly to the bandwagon of finding jobs in the UK.

Think one two hundred times...before you plunge

zubie patel
Newly Registered

job market for admin & secretarial jobs

Post by zubie patel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:18 am

im thinking of coming in Jan/Feb, how do u think it is for admin/secretarial jobs now with the lehman fiasco ? i work as a secretary in a mnc bank in mumbai... how is the scene with admin jobs ? my husband is in the aviatian industry in mumbai working for an international airline as a reservations agent... how is the airline industry doing there ? thanks

zubie patel
Newly Registered

admin/secreatarial job scene

Post by zubie patel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:21 am

im thinking of coming to london on tier 1 in jan/feb 2009... how is the admin/ secretarial job scene in london now? i work for an mnc bank in mumbai as a secretary to the director & my husband works as a reservation agent for an international airline.. we are both well settled here but want a better life in london since we are not able to save here in India.. how are airline jobs at the moment in london ?

ubugger

Re: admin/secreatarial job scene

Post by ubugger » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:51 pm

zubie patel wrote:im thinking of coming to london on tier 1 in jan/feb 2009... how is the admin/ secretarial job scene in london now? i work for an mnc bank in mumbai as a secretary to the director & my husband works as a reservation agent for an international airline.. we are both well settled here but want a better life in london since we are not able to save here in India.. how are airline jobs at the moment in london ?
No offence, but does anyone here read the news???

Airline jobs are going down, the travel industry is suffering... I think only 2 tour operators have gone under so far, but there's going to be another one and an airlne go before the end of the year! Call centres are moving OUT of the UK, not into it. They are moving up north, etc.
Personally I don't see a chance for you to save in london at all, especially on the wages you'll be on. London is quite expensive and a 'secretary' role is reasonably low paid and likewise a reservation agent would be too. I don't know of any call centres in london, I highly doubt there are any.

General concenous is that if you can't save in India, you definately can't save here. Lots of admin/secretarial work needs people with english as a first language, so that makes it more difficult. Banking sector is dead too.

No offence to you specifically but people seriously need to read the news and understand a city/country before even attempting to come here. Sure, i'm doing OK, so are many others, but the days of getting things easy are well and truely gone!

shiva_jaime
Newly Registered

Re: Embedded software development...

Post by shiva_jaime » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:45 am

Hi,
Any idea about embedded automotive software development opportunities in UK?
How is the job market for this domain???

[quote="ubugger"][quote="zubie patel"]im thinking of coming to london on tier 1 in jan/feb 2009... how is the admin/ secretarial job scene in london now? i work for an mnc bank in mumbai as a secretary to the director & my husband works as a reservation agent for an international airline.. we are both well settled here but want a better life in london since we are not able to save here in India.. how are airline jobs at the moment in london ?[/quote]

No offence, but does anyone here read the news???

Airline jobs are going down, the travel industry is suffering... I think only 2 tour operators have gone under so far, but there's going to be another one and an airlne go before the end of the year! Call centres are moving OUT of the UK, not into it. They are moving up north, etc.
Personally I don't see a chance for you to save in london at all, especially on the wages you'll be on. London is quite expensive and a 'secretary' role is reasonably low paid and likewise a reservation agent would be too. I don't know of any call centres in london, I highly doubt there are any.

General concenous is that if you can't save in India, you definately can't save here. Lots of admin/secretarial work needs people with english as a first language, so that makes it more difficult. Banking sector is dead too.

No offence to you specifically but people seriously need to read the news and understand a city/country before even attempting to come here. Sure, i'm doing OK, so are many others, but the days of getting things easy are well and truely gone![/quote]

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:51 am

In general the UK job market is pretty dull at the moment and unless you have loads of experience (incl UK experience) it is hard to get your hands on a new job.
Moreover, we are fast approaching end of the year, which is not making things easier either. To be honest it will be better to wait until may be April next year to see if things turn any good.