ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child's naturalisation eligibility

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

absra
Newly Registered

Child's naturalisation eligibility

Post by absra » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi

I am currently on a Tier 2 GM visa, with my wife and child on Tier 2 dependent visas. My child was born in Jersey (Channel Islands) and has a Jersey based birth certificate.

1) Once my ILR has been processed, would I have to:
- First apply for ILR for my child and then apply for naturalisation?
- Directly apply for naturalisation of my child based on the fact that one or both parents have an ILR (but after the child is born)?

2) If we have another child (born in London) before our ILRs are due, should we first apply for that child's Tier 2 dependent visa or wait until our ILR is processed, so the child is eligible for naturalisation directly?

Question is mainly to budget for costs involved in the process.

Thanks for the help.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Child's naturalisation eligibility

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:13 pm

1) I am not sure how Jersey works (someone else can clarify on Jersey) but as a general rule anyone born outside UK follows the same path as the less privileged parent (in immigration terms) so will require ILR before being registered as British. And can only be registered as British when at least one parent is British or applies at the same time as the child and both parents have ILR.

2) If your child2 is born in (UK - London as you said) BEFORE you have ILR, you can simply register the child as British AFTER you have ILR. No need to get a Tier2 dep visa unless the child has to travel obviously.

If the child is born AFTER you (at least one parent) already have ILR, child will be automatically born British. You can apply for a British Passport straightaway in this case.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:16 pm

50(1)
the Islands ” means the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man;
“ the United Kingdom ” means Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Islands, taken together;
UK born children born to non-settled, non-British, parents will be entitled to register after a parent is granted ILR.

A UK born non-British child does not have to apply for leave to remain, but may be subject to applicable NHS charges after three months.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

absra
Newly Registered

Post by absra » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:25 pm

Thanks both for the quick and clear replies.

Summary of costs based on how I understand:
- ILR for myself and missus (~£3000 x 2)
- Naturalisation for children (~£1000 x 2)

Is that right?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:29 pm

Current ILR cost £2389 plus £19.20 biometrics plus any UKVCAS appointment fee (Free or up to £250 based on appointment type/location/availability).

Child registration as British cost £1012 plus £19.20 plus the UKVCAS appointment fees if applicable as stated above.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

absra
Newly Registered

Post by absra » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:15 pm

Thanks CULLINAN.

Is there a separate charge for passport after child registration as British?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:32 pm

absra wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:15 pm
Thanks CULLINAN.

Is there a separate charge for passport after child registration as British?
Yes, passport is a separate application and cost.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

absra
Newly Registered

Post by absra » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:54 pm

Thanks all.

Seems like my employer will bear costs of ILR, but only 3 months prior to the current visa expiry, which is a year after we will be eligible.

So one last question, if my wife applies for ILR 9 months after I do, can we both apply for naturalisation together? Or will her 12 months start after she acquires ILR?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:59 pm

absra wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:54 pm
Thanks all.

Seems like my employer will bear costs of ILR, but only 3 months prior to the current visa expiry, which is a year after we will be eligible.

So one last question, if my wife applies for ILR 9 months after I do, can we both apply for naturalisation together? Or will her 12 months start after she acquires ILR?
If you are British by the time your wife gets ILR, she can apply for Naturalisation straight away without waiting 1 year on ILR. Otherwise she will have to wait 1 year after ILR.

absra
Newly Registered

Post by absra » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:40 pm

Thanks folks, appreciate the quick replies.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:15 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:59 pm
If you are British by the time your wife gets ILR
To clarify further on this statement, you only become a British citizen after attending the citizenship ceremony and being issued the naturalisation certificate. The letter of approval from the Home Office does not confer British citizenship.

Be aware that there is currently a delay of a few months between the Home Office approval letter and the the citizenship ceremony taking place.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

absra
Newly Registered

Post by absra » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:11 pm

So my plan is:
- October 2021 - apply for super priority ILR - potentially issued by end of the month?
- September 2022 - firm applies for wife's ILR
- October 2022 - apply for naturalisation (considering COVID delays are well over and normal timelines apply - 3 months?)

Should I expect to be done by ceremony and receive passport (considering normal pre-COVID timelines) by Feb/Mar 2023? And then another 3 months for my wife?

absra
Newly Registered

Post by absra » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:12 pm

Also the firm is saying they will cover cost of ILR for all dependents. Is there an ILR route for children on Tier 2 Dependent? Just wondering if that will save me any costs of naturalisation for them?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:25 pm

Since both your children are born in the UK (including Jersey, for naturalisation purposes), they don't need to apply for ILR. They can register as British citizens directly after either one parent is granted ILR.

The only reason you would want to apply for ILR for the UK-born children would be if you intend to not apply for British citizenship for them, but want them to have a long-term ability to reside in the UK.
absra wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:12 pm
Also the firm is saying they will cover cost of ILR for all dependents. Is there an ILR route for children on Tier 2 Dependent? Just wondering if that will save me any costs of naturalisation for them?
No. The costs of registration of children as British citizens are irrespective of whether they have ILR or not.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.