ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

H1B visa on Indian Passport to UK passport

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

krish99
Newly Registered

H1B visa on Indian Passport to UK passport

Post by krish99 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:47 pm

Hi All,

I have some queries to know how it works as I have unusual thing.
Currently I am on Indian Passport and one of the employer is filing H1b and on another side I have already applied for UK citizenship 2 months back.
So if I got in lottery for H1b and then if I get Uk passport on hand can I do anything to get the H1B visa stamped on UK passport?
On another hand If I get get H1B stamped on my Indian passport what will happen if Iget UK passport? Can I get H1B visa transferred to UK passport?

Please help me with the questions.

Thanks

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: H1B visa on Indian Passport to UK passport

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:43 pm

Hello

It's not possible to make an application with a passport then get the visa transferred to another citizenship passport.

I understand you would have to surrender the Indian passport. That's problematic if the visa is attached to it.

secret.simon

Re: H1B visa on Indian Passport to UK passport

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:55 am

Having an H1B visa in your passport, while applying for British citizenship, may cause complications with the future residence requirement for British naturalisation (see page 33 onwards), if the Home Office caseworker concludes that you do not intend to reside in the UK after becoming a British citizen.

Keep in mind that even after acquiring British citizenship, you do need to send in all your other uncancelled passports (including expired ones) when applying for your first adult British passport. Your H1B stamp will be visible on your Indian passport. There have been two cases on these forums where investigations were triggered into whether the applicant had lied about the future residence requirement, when, after they were naturalised in the UK, they applied for first adult British passport from abroad. Having a stamp that clearly indicates a desire to reside abroad would almost certainly trigger such an investigation.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.