ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Effect of disability/mental health on visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

guest514
Newly Registered
China

Effect of disability/mental health on visa

Post by guest514 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:46 am

Hi. I’m on a Tier 4 visa in the UK. I would be applying for an extension soon. I need help in getting a sense of general attitude of UKVI for applicants with disability/mental health issues.

I have a disorder that caused many issues related to my ability to understand emotions/information clearly, movements, lack of awareness of body in space, behaviour (I felt mentally excited all time and unable to calm down or emotionally feel anything), not feeling interested in doing anything and feeling depressed due to a long period of no improvement. I’m seeing a neurologist and psychotherapist. It has been getting better recently.

At no time, I was in a situation of harming myself or others. Over last year, my grades have suffered a lot since it started but I’ve recently got good grades in few courses. I’ll be applying for an extension soon and would like to know the general attitude towards applicants with past health issues like above. This will help me in determining how comfortably I can detail my disability and whether I should provide any statement to assure that it’s getting better.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Effect of disability/mental health on visa

Post by sah10406 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:22 pm

It has no real bearing on or relevance to your immigration application.

The only possible relevance is that your Student sponsor will need to make a judgement on whether they feel you are able to complete the course, and hence whether to continue to sponsor you.

Note that if you are applying because you need more time to complete your course, this application would normally need to be done in your home country, not in the UK, unless you are repeating a module or re-sitting an exam or you are a PhD student. I recommend getting advice from your university about this and in fact about all of it.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:08 pm

Hello

This is not part of the equation. If you are unable to complete your course in time or maintain attendance, that will eventually compromise your student visa status. The reasons why you aren't performing will not be taken into consideration by the Home Office. Even pregnant women can lose their student visa when they have to take time off studies.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:24 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:08 pm
The reasons why you aren't performing will not be taken into consideration by the Home Office. Even pregnant women can lose their student visa when they have to take time off studies.
This is a little blunt and it may worry OP unnecessarily. To clarify, it is not that the Home Office does not care about a student's illness or incapacity, just that it is not their concern to evaluate its effect on their studies. That is the sponsor university who decides whether someone is in a position to continue their course and therefore can be sponsored for further studies. If they are happy with that, they will issue the CAS and the visa can be granted.

OP, please discuss this with your university and take their advice on your options. I am not sure it will help to crowdsource advice, and it may give you the wrong impression.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

guest514
Newly Registered
China

Post by guest514 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:40 pm

Do these health issues matter if I’m later applying for a different type of visa such as graduate route which doesn’t need a sponsor? I mean do they consider factors like major depression, decline in ability to process and express information clearly, burden on NHS resources? Does it matter if they’re getting better?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:09 pm

guest514 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:40 pm
Do these health issues matter if I’m later applying for a different type of visa such as graduate route which doesn’t need a sponsor? I mean do they consider factors like major depression, decline in ability to process and express information clearly, burden on NHS resources?
No. You are really over-thinking this. It has no bearing on any visa application. Wishing you well.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:40 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:24 pm
Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:08 pm
The reasons why you aren't performing will not be taken into consideration by the Home Office. Even pregnant women can lose their student visa when they have to take time off studies.
This is a little blunt and it may worry OP unnecessarily. To clarify, it is not that the Home Office does not care about a student's illness or incapacity, just that it is not their concern to evaluate its effect on their studies. That is the sponsor university who decides whether someone is in a position to continue their course and therefore can be sponsored for further studies. If they are happy with that, they will issue the CAS and the visa can be granted.

OP, please discuss this with your university and take their advice on your options. I am not sure it will help to crowdsource advice, and it may give you the wrong impression.
I agree. I should've been more human on this one. Thank you for pointing this out.

For the OP: they don't evaluate your medical circumstances. If you are resident in the UK as a student, you are entitled to use the NHS. So even if you have, God forbid, major surgeries, they are not going hold it against you when you apply to renew your visa.

What you need to ensure, is that you are performing in your course and abiding by the rules and the agreement you have with your sponsor.

What you cannot do however, is to abandon your studies or miss classes and hope that the Home Office will take into consideration your mental issues and close their eyes or be more lenient with you.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:39 pm

guest514 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:40 pm
Do these health issues matter if I’m later applying for a different type of visa such as graduate route which doesn’t need a sponsor? I mean do they consider factors like major depression, decline in ability to process and express information clearly, burden on NHS resources? Does it matter if they’re getting better?
As far as I can remember, no visa application asks you for your mental health, so you don't need to disclose those details.

However, you also need to ponder your personal circumstances considering your mental health as a first priority. There is no course or job above your mental health and wellbeing.

Are you in the UK on your own? Would you be okay staying more time in a foreign country? I mean, being away from family and friends could have a big impact on people's mental health, in one or another way. Do a personal assessment and decide what is more convenient for you, also considering the current uncertain situation. Nonetheless, your health must be your top priority.

Hope your situation keeps improving.