ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mother on FBR, Granddad born in UK, Great Grandmother Born Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sptiling01
Newly Registered
Ireland

Mother on FBR, Granddad born in UK, Great Grandmother Born Ireland

Post by sptiling01 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Hi Guys,
I was born in UK.
My Great Grandmother born Ireland
Grand father Born UK
Mother Born UK but on the FBR but not yet an Ireland Passport Holder.

What sort of content would I have to write in the q12 on Form 8 to try and get citizenship granted or is there another route I can take?

I have all certificates Birth, Death, marriage along with a clean background check.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks Paul

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Mother on FBR, Granddad born in UK, Great Grandmother Born Ireland

Post by littlerr » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:33 pm

You need to either live in Ireland for 5 years (or 3 years if you are married to an Irish citizen).

You can also try to apply via Irish Associations since your mother is an Irish citizen by FBR. It may give you some relief on residence requirements, normally 2 out of 5 years, but you would have to convince the Minister that your association is strong enough for her to give you this 2 years off. Also the Irish associations applications take significantly longer than a normal application, usually up to 3 years.

Based on your description, your ‘Irish by descent’ stopped your Grandad’s generation, and there’s no attempt to retain the Irish association on your mother’s or your generation, so it would be quite hard to convince the minister to waive any condition.

How long have you lived in Ireland?

sptiling01
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by sptiling01 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:55 am

I don’t live in Ireland, I’m currently in the UK.
The applications going in with the request to waive the rule of not being on the FBR, What’s the worst that can happen?

The naturalisation by association of descent doesn’t necessarily ask for residence from what I can see, let’s see how it goes

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:31 am

Nothing ‘bad’ would happen. They would simply happily take your 175 euro application fee and issue you a refusal after 3 years. You are free to apply for it again.

If you have not lived in Ireland for at least 3 years, the chance you will be approved is zero realistically speaking.

sptiling01
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by sptiling01 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:31 am

What would be my best bet here then? Wait for my mother to get her passport and potentially apply via her using the naturalisation route again???

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 pm

Your mother is an Irish citizen with or without a passport. It doesn’t matter either way. You would have to live in Ireland for three years at least to be able to apply for naturalisation with your mother’s Irish association, or five years if you are to apply on your own.

The official website summed it up well pretty much:
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/citizen ... ociations/
Applications for naturalisation are often received where the applicant seeks the Minister to exercise absolute discretion under Section 16 of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, as amended to waive the statutory conditions on the basis of Irish descent or Irish associations going back two, three or indeed more generations. An association going back two generations without any other link to the State is generally considered as not sufficient to warrant consideration or the waiving of the statutory residence conditions.

Applicants who seek to avail of the discretion provided under Section 16 of the Act are expected to have a reasonable period of lawful residence in the State, generally around 3 years, to show they have some substantial and tangible connection with Irish society and the State.
An Irish association through a great-grandparent, (or a grandparent where that grandparent obtained citizenship through naturalisation) and where there is no, or negligible, reckonable residency would generally be deemed insufficient to warrant recommending the Minister exercise absolute discretion to waive the statutory conditions under Section 15 of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, as amended and would result in a refusal.
In general, had your mother not been an Irish citizen, you would have to get 5 years of residence. With your mother being Irish, you have a chance of having 2 of 5 years waived by the minister. However, this is not guaranteed and that you must show evidence that you are actively engaging in the Irish community (working/studying etc) for these 3 years.