ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can citiz. application be effected if I temporarily leave country

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dub291
Newly Registered
Croatia

Can citiz. application be effected if I temporarily leave country

Post by Dub291 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi all,

I would like to ask for advice. Here is the question:
Can my citizenship application be negatively effected or even dismissed if I leave the country for 3-6 months?

However, my housemate can contact me if I receive a letter from immigration or if they require any additional documents, and we can send it to them.

Application timeline:
Applied: January 2020 (EU passport, 5 years residency).
In September 2020 they asked for documents as proof of residency for 3 different years. I sent the documents and got the letter after 3 weeks (September 2020) reading:

"I am directed by the Minister for Justice to refer to your application for naturalisation.
Your application is being processed with a view to establish whether you meet the statutory conditions for the granting of naturalisation and will be submitted to the Minister for decision as expeditiously as as possible as soon as our enquiries are complete and all required documentation has been compiled.

In general it takes 12 months for a straightforward application to be processed from the date it is received to the date a decision is made. However, the nature of the naturalisation process is such that for a broad(genera text continues)...

If further documentation and/or clarification of any matter related to your application is required from you, we will write to you requesting it. Otherwise, you will receive a letter in due course informing you of the Minister's decision on your application."

Thanks for your help.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Can citiz. application be effected if I temporarily leave country

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:50 pm

It shouldn't be negatively impacted but you are obliged to inform INIS about your intended absence. Leaving How INIS will interpret that is a different story. They may delay your application for a certain period of time, or they may do nothing at all. Either way, you'd be better having a good reason when you tell them that.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/citizen ... alisation/
If you are outside the State for longer than 6 weeks after you submit your application, you must notify ISD by letter or email to explain why.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:54 pm

Dub291 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:13 pm

"I am directed by the Minister for Justice to refer to your application for naturalisation.
Your application is being processed with a view to establish whether you meet the statutory conditions for the granting of naturalisation and will be submitted to the Minister for decision as expeditiously as as possible as soon as our enquiries are complete and all required documentation has been compiled.

In general it takes 12 months for a straightforward application to be processed from the date it is received to the date a decision is made. However, the nature of the naturalisation process is such that for a broad(genera text continues)...

If further documentation and/or clarification of any matter related to your application is required from you, we will write to you requesting it. Otherwise, you will receive a letter in due course informing you of the Minister's decision on your application."
I second to @littlerr.

Just out of interest , considering the timeframe you have been waiting, is that the second stage letter you received?

Dub291
Newly Registered
Croatia

Post by Dub291 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:02 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:50 pm
It shouldn't be negatively impacted but you are obliged to inform INIS about your intended absence. Leaving How INIS will interpret that is a different story. They may delay your application for a certain period of time, or they may do nothing at all. Either way, you'd be better having a good reason when you tell them that.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/citizen ... alisation/
If you are outside the State for longer than 6 weeks after you submit your application, you must notify ISD by letter or email to explain why.
Hi littlerr, thanks for your respond. Would the letter I received be the second letter? Does anyone know approximately how long now days applications take (considering Covid and people who applied due to Brexit)?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:28 pm

Previously the second stage letter would clearly say that your application has now been moved to second stage, but based on a few people’s feedback recently, it is no longer always the case any more. The easiest way to check would be to simply drop them an email and ask what stage you are in.

Currently a straightforward application takes 12 months to process, although I suspect that number is going to increase as the lockdown continues...

Dub291
Newly Registered
Croatia

Post by Dub291 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:47 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:28 pm
Previously the second stage letter would clearly say that your application has now been moved to second stage, but based on a few people’s feedback recently, it is no longer always the case any more. The easiest way to check would be to simply drop them an email and ask what stage you are in.

Currently a straightforward application takes 12 months to process, although I suspect that number is going to increase as the lockdown continues...
That makes sense. Should I send an email to this address "citizenshipinfo@justice.ie"?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Yes that’s correct.

Dub291
Newly Registered
Croatia

Post by Dub291 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:15 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:08 pm
Yes that’s correct.
Thanks very much for your help.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:27 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:28 pm
Thanks @littlerr. Makes sense. I was only intrigued by Dub291's letter that he received after several months coz I got my acknowledgement with exact same wording along with my Passport and Receipt 😂

klick02
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by klick02 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:57 pm

Can you advice if its 6 weeks in total in a year or 6 weeks at a stretch please?
Also does the year start and end on 1st Jan?

Asking this as I had to visit my parents last year for 4 weeks for an emergency, and I might have to go for 3-4 weeks in mid of this year as well.
I had applied in Oct 2019

PhilipR
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by PhilipR » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:56 pm

Dub291 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:15 pm
littlerr wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:08 pm
Yes that’s correct.
Thanks very much for your help.
Hi littlerr could you answer this question please, If a person leaves for 5 and half weeks, comes back to Ireland then after 2 days leaves the Ireland again and comes back after 5 and half weeks, would that be "considered longer than 6 weeks". Would that be ok to do ? I applied for citizenship, as an eu citizen Oct 2020.
Thanks