ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA Driving License in UK?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

USA Driving License in UK?

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi,

My wife arrived in UK on 23 September 2019 on a spouse visa.

Regarding her American driving licence, can she drive temporarily for a year or so on her American driving license or does she need a UK provisional to drive with me accompanying her?

Thanks

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: USA Driving License in UK?

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 pm

Hello

You can use this official website to asses the situation:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

She has 12 months with the US driving license.

But you will struggle to find an insurance on a foreign license. It's nearly impossible.

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 pm
Hello

You can use this official website to asses the situation:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

She has 12 months with the US driving license.

But you will struggle to find an insurance on a foreign license. It's nearly impossible.
Thanks!

It seems crazy how she can drive for 12 months although she doesn't know how to drive a manual! At least I can teach her though.

Am I right in thinking she can essentially use the 12 months to learn under my supervision before she needs to apply for a provisional then? Or can she only drive automatic cars?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:50 am

To learn under your supervision, she needs 2 things:

- A DVLA Provisional License
- An insurance for learners
- L signs on the car

I am not convinced she will find an insurance with a foreign license.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:20 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:50 am
To learn under your supervision, she needs 2 things:

- A DVLA Provisional License
- An insurance for learners
- L signs on the car
And for you-

Anyone you practise your driving with (without paying them) must:

be over 21
be qualified to drive the type of vehicle you want to learn in, for example they must have a manual car licence if they’re supervising you in a manual car
have had their full driving licence for 3 years (from the UK, the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein)

You can be fined up to £1,000 and get up to 6 penalty points on your provisional licence if you drive without the right supervision.

You can drive with as many passengers as the vehicle can legally hold.

It’s illegal for your friend or family member to use a mobile phone while supervising you.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-lear ... or-friends

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:42 pm

You may be able to add her as a named driver onto your car insurance.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:51 pm

I can tell you for fact as my wife came to the UK with a Vietnamese license. She was allowed to drive in the UK for one year from the day she arrived.

Insurance was no bother, and I bought her a fiesta ST for her first car, had a tracker on it for the first year but not this year. She had only got her license in VN a month before she came to the UK.

I taught her to drive, in her car on her fully comprehensively insured car. Not at all against the law, after all, all I did was sit next to her and tell her what to do.

She passed her test in VN on a manual car, so there was no issue with only being able to drive an automatic. If your wife has an automatic license only, then that is all she can drive one of those here too, if she has a manual gearbox license, then even if she has forgotten how to change gear, she can drive one in the UK. You can teach her.

Before her US license year expires, she will need to apply for a UK provisional, and do the theory and practical so she can receive a full UK license. She can still drive on her US license without worry, while she is preparing for her UK test and has a provisional. Best to apply for UK provisional and do this asap, because if she fails the UK license, but still has her US one, she can still drive herself and you can still teach her, she can then retake her test.

MY OH passed the theory first time, and then failed the first time for practical, passed second time a few weeks later, and no need to stop driving herself.

THO.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Fri May 14, 2021 4:38 am

ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:54 pm
Hi,

Regarding her American driving licence, can she drive temporarily for a year or so on her American driving license or does she need a UK provisional to drive with me accompanying her?

Thanks
If your wife arrived in 2019, her US driving licence is no longer valid (can only be used for 12 months).

Unfortunately due to pandemic there’s a huge backlog for those willing to take test. Currently the bookings are only opened for October this year!

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Tue May 18, 2021 11:31 pm

iwolga wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:38 am
ChugaLuvMe wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:54 pm
Hi,

Thanks
If your wife arrived in 2019, her US driving licence is no longer valid (can only be used for 12 months).

Unfortunately due to pandemic there’s a huge backlog for those willing to take test. Currently the bookings are only opened for October this year!
Sorry, I meant 23/SEP/2020.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:59 am

It's not a case of can you drive a car.
Over here, we have LOT of rules. She must take lessons with a driving instructor and must pass the Theory test or go through it as a minimum. Hope this makes sense.