ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Waiting for decision: what happens after my old BRP expires?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

UBNck
Newly Registered
Thailand

Advice appreciated: unmarried partner visa from Tier 4

Post by UBNck » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:39 pm

Hi all,

Hope I have posted this in the right place. I would greatly appreciate your expertise on some questions that I had about switching to an unmarried partner visa, on the basis of living together for 2 years.

I am currently on a Tier 4 student visa, expiring on 30 March 2021. I submitted my application online in mid-February 2021, and have my biometrics appointment on 20 March 2021 (tomorrow). Prior to this we submitted all of our evidence online (6 items of correspondence, declarations, finance, partner's employment, my education etc.).

I was wondering about the appointment itself:

1. Does my partner need to come with me to the biometrics appointment?
2. Do I need to bring my partner's original passport, on top my my own passport and old BRP?
3. Should I bring any originals of the evidence we have uploaded online? (the appointment email from UKVCAS said not to bring evidence that has been already uploaded, but you never know)

Furthermore, I had a question about my visa status while waiting for a decision:

4. My current Tier 4 visa expires (30 March) very soon after my biometrics appointment (20 March). The UKVI call center has let me know that so long as my application was made before my previous visa's expiry date, then I will be allowed to stay in the UK until I receive a decision. But is there anything I would be cautious or wary about with this, e.g., overstaying?

I would be grateful for advice on these questions, as the system is so complicated and easy to get lost in.

UBNck
Newly Registered
Thailand

Re: Advice appreciated: unmarried partner visa from Tier 4

Post by UBNck » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:54 pm

Another question just popped up!

5. Will there be any sort of interview questions?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:29 pm

UBNck wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:39 pm
Hi all,

Hope I have posted this in the right place. I would greatly appreciate your expertise on some questions that I had about switching to an unmarried partner visa, on the basis of living together for 2 years.

I am currently on a Tier 4 student visa, expiring on 30 March 2021. I submitted my application online in mid-February 2021, and have my biometrics appointment on 20 March 2021 (tomorrow). Prior to this we submitted all of our evidence online (6 items of correspondence, declarations, finance, partner's employment, my education etc.).

I was wondering about the appointment itself:

1. Does my partner need to come with me to the biometrics appointment? No
2. Do I need to bring my partner's original passport, on top my my own passport and old BRP? No
3. Should I bring any originals of the evidence we have uploaded online? (the appointment email from UKVCAS said not to bring evidence that has been already uploaded, but you never know) The email already told you No, if in doubt you may take it along for your own peace of mind

Furthermore, I had a question about my visa status while waiting for a decision:

4. My current Tier 4 visa expires (30 March) very soon after my biometrics appointment (20 March). The UKVI call center has let me know that so long as my application was made before my previous visa's expiry date, then I will be allowed to stay in the UK until I receive a decision. But is there anything I would be cautious or wary about with this, e.g., overstaying? Your current status/rights under Tier 4 visa will be maintained till decision is made on the application.

I would be grateful for advice on these questions, as the system is so complicated and easy to get lost in.

UBNck
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by UBNck » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:53 pm

Wonderful, thanks so much for responding so promptly. Greatly appreciate the advice.

UBNck
Newly Registered
Thailand

Waiting for decision: what happens after my old BRP expires?

Post by UBNck » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Hi all,

Hope you are keeping well and healthy. I am writing with some questions on waiting for a decision after my current visa expires, that I would really appreciate your knowledge on.

For context: I am currently on a Tier 4 student visa and am applying to switch to an unmarried partner visa, on the basis of having lived together for 2 years. I submitted my application online in mid-February 2021, and attended my biometrics appointment on 20 March 2021, which another member of the forum kindly answered my questions about.

The UKVCAS officer told me that it could take 4 weeks to 6 months for a decision to come back, but my current BRP (for the Tier 4 visa) expires before that, on 30 March 2021. Both members of this forum and the UKVI call center have told me that I can legally stay in the UK until I receive the decision (although please correct me if I have misunderstood).

Even so I still have some concerns:

1. After my BRP expires, how can I prove to my letting agents/bank/etc. that I am legally staying in the UK? I didn't get any sort of confirmation letter from UKVCAS that my application has been made, or anything that says in writing that my visa status is extended until I get a decision.

2. In case the application is refused, how much time would I get to prepare to leave the UK? I am wary of overstaying. I am starting a PhD this September and so my back-up plan is to leave the UK, then apply for another Tier 4 to enter the UK in September - but this might be scuppered if I end up overstaying somehow.

I would be grateful for your advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Waiting for decision: what happens after my old BRP expires?

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Topics Merged!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

UBNck
Newly Registered
Thailand

Re: Waiting for decision: what happens after my old BRP expires?

Post by UBNck » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:29 pm

Bumping this for visibility - I would appreciate any advice you could give me!