ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting Divorced While Naturalization in Progress

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chad
Newly Registered
Ireland

Getting Divorced While Naturalization in Progress

Post by chad » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:57 pm

My partner and I have decided to get divorced. I am on stamp 2 as a dependant of my partner until June 2022. I have applied for the naturalization 13 months back. Would my naturalization application be impacted by the divorce? Would anyone know? Thanks all....

irishman003
Ireland

Re: Getting Divorced While Naturalization in Progress

Post by irishman003 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:25 pm

You need to inform the INIS as this is required.

I don't think this would negatively impact your citizenship as long as your claimed 5 years were legit and you keep your visa running until you get approval.

I am not an expert on stamp 2, I think you will lose your visa after divorce, how many years you here?

My advice is to see if there is a way to reconcile relationship with your partner, this would be definitely favorable to your application and visa status.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:31 pm

You can't be on Stamp 2 on the basis of marriage. You can't apply for naturalisation on the basis of Stamp 2 either. Check your stamp again.

How many years have you been married? Are you going for the legal separation now? Or are you going to divorce abroad?

What is your basis of applying for naturalisation? 3 years with an Irish spouse, or 5 years with your non-Irish spouse?

Finepaddy
Mood:
Norway

Post by Finepaddy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Try to delay the divorce. No matter what others say don't inform citizenship about divorce. U will regret it.
Finepaddy becomes badpaddy :mrgreen:

zigandzag
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by zigandzag » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:14 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:31 pm
What is your basis of applying for naturalisation? 3 years with an Irish spouse, or 5 years with your non-Irish spouse?
People can also apply via the 5 year route even though they've an Irish spouse, right? Less documentation that way.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:46 am

zigandzag wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:14 pm
littlerr wrote:
People can also apply via the 5 year route even though they've an Irish spouse, right? Less documentation that way.
Yes that’s right.

polarcub
Mood:
Ireland

Post by polarcub » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:23 am

Unless anything is official don't jump the gun and get sound legal advice if you need to. As I understand it a separation & a divorce takes a very long time in Ireland.

To make a new citizenship application (i.e. 5 year) and cancel the old one is not easy. There is a forum about this and it's typically not advised, especially as you'll go in the back of the queue under current processing times.
littlerr wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:46 am
zigandzag wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:14 pm
littlerr wrote:
Yes that’s right.

chad
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by chad » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:53 am

Many thanks all. I should have been more clear. We have both applied for naturalization on the basis of 5 year residency so neither of us is Irish. That said, my application status (i.e 5 year) will not change if the divorce happens but would the divorce impact my current application in any other way?