ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absence after application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alexhu
Newly Registered
Hungary

Absence after application

Post by alexhu » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:48 pm

I submitted my citizenship application & self-submitted documents in December and did biometrics in January. Obviously, I’m only waiting 3 months, well below 6 months so nothing to worry about. I wanted to ask if there are any limits on absences between submitting the application and finishing the process in a ceremony, like my current status? I’m aware of the possibility of future intentions being investigated. I’m more thinking about whether spending the better part of this summer (upwards of 100 days) abroad would be a problem? I’d come back for the ceremony if required and all this is subject to int’ travel being allowed so won’t be breaking any COVID restrictions.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Absence after application

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:06 pm

The date of application is the date you pay and submit online. You have to meet the residence requirements on that day. After, it does not matter. You can travel and have no limits. You will become British when you attend the ceremony and will have to return your ILR BRP then.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:07 pm

No restrictions on travelling after application, provided you return for the citizenship ceremony and British passport application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alexhu
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by alexhu » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:13 pm

Thank you both for clarifying my query. All the best.

alexhu
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by alexhu » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi again, I’ve been tracking the approvals on the timeline thread and I noticed quite a few people are only receiving approvals via post and not email. I’m a university student, staying at my term-time address. I’ve selected a ceremony council where I live term-time, but used my permanent address since that’s what I use as my address for almost everything. My permanent address is currently empty as my father is out of the country due to COVID and I’m unlikely to visit until the end of term in June (it’s halfway across England).

I gather that changing the address by contacting the Home Office is a bad idea, especially since I’ll be leaving my term-time address in August. Is there anything I can do to make sure I’m promptly notified of approval? I’ve seen a few very quick approvals as well so there’s a small chance I can miss a ceremony invitation as well - what happens then?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:40 pm

The official correspondence will go to the address you mentioned in your online form when you applied. It can be via post or email. Its just random.

You can email HO and request to send the approval/ceremony invitation in email. It might or might not work.

But dont worry, you have 6 months (covid extension) AFTER ceremony invitation date to attend the ceremony so hopefully by then, you will have access to your permanent address.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

alexhu
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by alexhu » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:03 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:40 pm
The official correspondence will go to the address you mentioned in your online form when you applied. It can be via post or email. Its just random.

You can email HO and request to send the approval/ceremony invitation in email. It might or might not work.

But dont worry, you have 6 months (covid extension) AFTER ceremony invitation date to attend the ceremony so hopefully by then, you will have access to your permanent address.
I appreciate your response. The resource I accessed only mentioned 3mths, hence my concern, but especially given the clock starts from invitation (not approval) date, I should most certainly be fine.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:37 pm

Citizenship ceremonies and coronavirus (COVID-19)
Usually you must attend a citizenship ceremony within 3 months of receiving your invitation from the Home Office. Because of coronavirus, this has been extended to 6 months.

Do not book a ceremony until you’ve received your invitation letter. Because of coronavirus, it can take up to 3 months from being told your application was successful to get your letter.

Your local authority will confirm any restrictions - for example, if guests can attend - when you book your ceremony.

You might be able to have an online ‘virtual’ ceremony, if your local council offers it. You can attend alone or with members of your household.
https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies