ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(m) extension - Details of time spent outside the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Picard

FLR(M) Renewal & New Tenancy Agreement

Post by Picard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:05 pm

Hi All
I have to apply for renewal/1st extension of FLR (M) in December 2021.

We are moving to a new rental in May 2021. What should the tenancy agreement mention/ or not mention as proof of our cohabitation or address proof please?

Thank you

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Re: FLR(M) Renewal & New Tenancy Agreement

Post by TODMATT » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:25 pm

Picard wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:05 pm
Hi All
I have to apply for renewal/1st extension of FLR (M) in December 2021.

We are moving to a new rental in May 2021. What should the tenancy agreement mention/ or not mention as proof of our cohabitation or address proof please?

Thank you
Tenancy agreement can be used as proof of cohabitation.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

Picard

Post by Picard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:04 pm

Is it enough if the tenancy agreement includes an address, the number of bedrooms and that the property is for the exclusive use of both tenants above (with our names listed above)?

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:53 pm

Picard wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:04 pm
Is it enough if the tenancy agreement includes an address, the number of bedrooms and that the property is for the exclusive use of both tenants above (with our names listed above)?
The tenancy agreement must show names and address for it to be considered as a proof of cohabitation.

Picard

Post by Picard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:05 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:53 pm
Picard wrote:
The tenancy agreement must show names and address for it to be considered as a proof of cohabitation.
Thanks TODMATT
I vaguely remember something about convincing UKVI that there is no overcrowding in the property and hence mentioning number of rooms (bedrooms and including no of kit-chen and bathrooms) in the property.
Has the overcrowding rule changed in last 2 years?

PS: Gosh it keeps changing Spam to spam, had to write kit-chen

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:03 am

Picard wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:05 pm
TODMATT wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:53 pm
Picard wrote:
Thanks TODMATT
I vaguely remember something about convincing UKVI that there is no overcrowding in the property and hence mentioning number of rooms (bedrooms and including no of kit-chen and bathrooms) in the property.
Has the overcrowding rule changed in last 2 years?

PS: Gosh it keeps changing Spam to spam, had to write kit-chen
It's is not that the rule has changed, it is that what initial spouse application requirements and FLR(M) as per accommodation differs slightly.
The initial application deals with it as having sufficient or appropriate space to accommodate the spouse or family that is joining you while FLR(M) deals with it as proof of cohabitation/subsisting relationship.

Picard

Post by Picard » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:15 pm

Thanks AmazonianX for the clarification.

So the renewal of FLR (M) or 1st extension will have our new tenancy agreement as cohabitation proof.

Thanks for your inputs too TODMATT.

Cheers

Picard

FLR(m) extension - Details of time spent outside the UK

Post by Picard » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:17 pm

Hi

I'm filling in the online form for FLR(m) extension.

On the question Details of the time spent outside the UK should I only include the last 2.5 years since the first FLR(m) visa was granted or should I include details since arriving in the UK - additional 2 years?

Thanks
P.

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Re: FLR(m) extension - Details of time spent outside the UK

Post by TODMATT » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:53 pm

Picard wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:17 pm
Hi

On the question Details of the time spent outside the UK should I only include the last 2.5 years since the first FLR(m) visa was granted or should I include details since arriving in the UK - additional 2 years?

Thanks
P.
Did you arrived in the UK on a spouse visa granted for 33 months or you have switched from another route within UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:19 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:53 pm
Picard wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:17 pm
Hi

Thanks
P.
Did you arrived in the UK on a spouse visa granted for 33 months or you have switched from another route within UK?
See topic from 2019, spouse was tier 2 ICT before switching to FLR m.

immigration-for-family-members/spouse-v ... l#p1785054
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Picard

Post by Picard » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:50 pm

Yes, ICT2, then FLR(m) and now FLR(m) extension.

The online form doesn't mention specific dates/periods with those question nor refers to "since the previous visa was granted" and asks a lot of the same questions, which I'm answering the same as before.

I've included all details since the first arrival in the UK, so full travel history because the next section asks about visits back to your home country regardless of this happening in the last 2.5 years or since the UK arrival.

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:39 am

Picard wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:50 pm
Yes, ICT2, then FLR(m) and now FLR(m) extension.

The online form doesn't mention specific dates/periods with those question nor refers to "since the previous visa was granted" and asks a lot of the same questions, which I'm answering the same as before.

I've included all details since the first arrival in the UK, so full travel history because the next section asks about visits back to your home country regardless of this happening in the last 2.5 years or since the UK arrival.

I would agree with you to list all travel history since you have lived here because the question did not specified since your last leave was granted.

Picard

Post by Picard » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Thanks, that's what I'm going for.

Another question about financial requirements.

I'm being asked for 6 months payslips and corresponding bank statements and relevant P60(s).

1) Payslips
I will include 7 payslips just in case, as my bank statement is available sooner than the payslip.
Worth doing this?

2) Signature on payslips
I have a separate payslips confirmation letter to confirm they are authentic on top of the confirmation of employment.

Do I need to ask HR to sign/date the payslips or having this letter + payslips without anything written on them is enough?

3) P60
The last P60 was generated in April with is more than 6 months ago, should I include it anyway?

4) Bank statements
I will download bank statements from an online system, my bank doesn't sign or stamp statements, so there's not much else I can do. Are online statements ok, or should I ask the bank to send me duplicates and I'd then scan them?

Thanks
P.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:02 pm

Picard wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:28 pm
Thanks, that's what I'm going for.

Another question about financial requirements.

I'm being asked for 6 months payslips and corresponding bank statements and relevant P60(s).

1) Payslips
I will include 7 payslips just in case, as my bank statement is available sooner than the payslip.
Worth doing this? Any thing to cover any eventualities

2) Signature on payslips
I have a separate payslips confirmation letter to confirm they are authentic on top of the confirmation of employment.

Do I need to ask HR to sign/date the payslips or having this letter + payslips without anything written on them is enough? That's overkill, no need.

3) P60
The last P60 was generated in April with is more than 6 months ago, should I include it anyway? If this specifically asked of you as hinted in your post then provide what you have

4) Bank statements
I will download bank statements from an online system, my bank doesn't sign or stamp statements, so there's not much else I can do. Are online statements ok, or should I ask the bank to send me duplicates and I'd then scan them?

Thanks
P.

Picard

Post by Picard » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:01 am

Thanks... moving on to the English language requirements.

The last time A1 was valid for 2 years. FLR(m) extension requires A2.

Is there a way to pass B1 now so it is valid when the time comes for ILR in 2.5 years?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:37 am

Picard wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:01 am
Thanks... moving on to the English language requirements.

The last time A1 was valid for 2 years. FLR(m) extension requires A2.

Is there a way to pass B1 now so it is valid when the time comes for ILR in 2.5 years?
If you pass your B1 now and use it for the extension successfully, by ILR time you can still reuse it so far still on HO list

Picard

Post by Picard » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:20 am

Thanks, I got confused after reading the Trinity College SELT FAQ:

"All Trinity certificates are valid for life as evidence of the candidate’s achievement and performance in a Trinity exam. However, where certificates are used for UK visa or immigration purposes, Trinity has recommended to the UK Home Office that, for security reasons, only certificates less than two years old should be accepted."

I've found also this, sharing in case someone else ends up here looking for the answer:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications
If your qualification has run out
Some recognised test qualifications only last for 2 years. You can still use a B1 level qualification that you took more than 2 years ago in 2 situations.

Applying for citizenship
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.

It does not matter if the B1 level test you took is not on the current list of recognised tests. You do not need to take another test.

Applying to settle in the UK
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:
* it’s on the current list of recognised tests
* it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:18 am

Picard wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:20 am
Thanks, I got confused after reading the Trinity College SELT FAQ:

"All Trinity certificates are valid for life as evidence of the candidate’s achievement and performance in a Trinity exam. However, where certificates are used for UK visa or immigration purposes, Trinity has recommended to the UK Home Office that, for security reasons, only certificates less than two years old should be accepted."

I've found also this, sharing in case someone else ends up here looking for the answer:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications
If your qualification has run out
Some recognised test qualifications only last for 2 years. You can still use a B1 level qualification that you took more than 2 years ago in 2 situations.

Applying for citizenship
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.

It does not matter if the B1 level test you took is not on the current list of recognised tests. You do not need to take another test.

Applying to settle in the UK
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:
* it’s on the current list of recognised tests
* it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter
A test provider states that it test is good for life but recommends to HO (probably the source of largest patronage) to accept it only for 2years while the HO (as of now) accepts a B1 qualification for longer on the criteria you quoted so whats the confusion?

Picard

Post by Picard » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:42 am

Thanks, I wasn't confused anymore when I was posting my response, I left it as a reference for anyone else looking. Nonetheless, thank you for further clarification and your help.

Picard

Post by Picard » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:09 pm

Hello, a few additional questions

1) When to pay the IHS surcharge?
Can I submit the IHS surcharge payment ahead of time e.g. a week or two, or should I do it on the day when I'm submitting my visa application? I'm trying to prep everything I can before submitting it close to the expiry date. Not sure if I can do this with IHS.

2) Visa length
Want to confirm my maths is correct. Is the visa expiry date included in the count?
With:
* Issue date: 15th July 2019
* Valid until date: 15th Jan 2022
This means we end up with 2 years, 6 months, 1 day - 1 additional day?
This relates to the next question.

3) When to submit the application?
I can submit the application within 28 days of the first visa expiring, that's clear. But when to actually submit it? I'd like to ensure I'm not short by a couple of days or a week as the requirement is 5 years to apply for ILR/citizenship.

* Should I then submit 1-2 days in advance e.g. valid until 1st Jan 2022, submit on 30-31st Dec 2021?

The ideal scenario is that the HO will issue the visa from the expiry date of the last one, so there's continuity. But I remember seeing examples here saying a date between the application date and the expiry date was used to issue the extension - 5 years was not met with 2 visas and the 3rd visa application was required.

In my case with a buffer of 1 day, I'd like to minimize this risk.

Thanks in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:38 pm

1) When to pay the IHS surcharge?
Can I submit the IHS surcharge payment ahead of time e.g. a week or two, or should I do it on the day when I'm submitting my visa application? I'm trying to prep everything I can before submitting it close to the expiry date. Not sure if I can do this with IHS.
No, you cannot pay it in advance. It is payable as part of the online application.
2) Visa length
Want to confirm my maths is correct. Is the visa expiry date included in the count?
With:
* Issue date: 15th July 2019
* Valid until date: 15th Jan 2022
This means we end up with 2 years, 6 months, 1 day - 1 additional day?
This relates to the next question.
Yes, visa expiry date is the last date of the visa validity.
3) When to submit the application?
I can submit the application within 28 days of the first visa expiring, that's clear. But when to actually submit it? I'd like to ensure I'm not short by a couple of days or a week as the requirement is 5 years to apply for ILR/citizenship.
You can apply for ILR within 28 days before the 5th anniversary of the date you entered on a spouse visa (excluding a fiance visa). Plan accordingly. Citizenship laws are different and separate to ILR and spouse visa rules. You should not apply any sooner than within 28 days of reaching 30 months of residence calculated from the date you entered the UK.
* Should I then submit 1-2 days in advance e.g. valid until 1st Jan 2022, submit on 30-31st Dec 2021?

The ideal scenario is that the HO will issue the visa from the expiry date of the last one, so there's continuity. But I remember seeing examples here saying a date between the application date and the expiry date was used to issue the extension - 5 years was not met with 2 visas and the 3rd visa application was required.
The new visa is issued from the date of approval. It is not 'tagged onto the old visa expiry date'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Picard

Post by Picard » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:50 pm

No, you cannot pay it in advance. It is payable as part of the online application.
Yes, as part of the online application, before submitting it, I'd like to pay the IHS surcharge, a week or so ahead and a week later or two submit the online application form itself. The question is if paying for the IHS won't automatically force me into the submission of the whole visa application? I can't check it without doing it, that's why I'm asking.
The new visa is issued from the date of approval. It is not 'tagged onto the old visa expiry date'.
If the date of approval is used + the 8 weeks timeline for the visa process, does the gap between the first and the second FLR(m) matter to the HO/UKVCAS and would this in any way affect the citizenship application after reaching 5 years?

Having 2.5ys 1st FLR(m) + 1-2 months waiting + 2.5ys 2nd FLR(m) means I'd be able to apply for citizenship while the extension is still valid for another 2-3 months (considering 28 days ahead), correct?

If I get it right, the gap doesn't matter:
* From the FLR(m) extension side, as long as the application was submitted before the old visa expired, the stay is valid and legal while waiting for the visa application to be reviewed/issued
* From the Citizenship application perspective, as long as 5 years have passed aka "the 5th anniversary of the date you entered on a spouse visa", the HO will be fine with that?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:14 pm

Picard wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:50 pm
Yes, as part of the online application, before submitting it, I'd like to pay the IHS surcharge, a week or so ahead and a week later or two submit the online application form itself. The question is if paying for the IHS won't automatically force me into the submission of the whole visa application? I can't check it without doing it, that's why I'm asking.
It is not going to force you, its a step in a process. There is no clearer way to put it than as before, what purpose does paying IHS earlier serve
If the date of approval is used + the 8 weeks timeline for the visa process, does the gap between the first and the second FLR(m) matter to the HO/UKVCAS and would this in any way affect the citizenship application after reaching 5 years? No it will not so far as you still have valid leave at the time of application.

Having 2.5ys 1st FLR(m) + 1-2 months waiting + 2.5ys 2nd FLR(m) means I'd be able to apply for citizenship while the extension is still valid for another 2-3 months (considering 28 days ahead), correct?

If I get it right, the gap doesn't matter:
* From the FLR(m) extension side, as long as the application was submitted before the old visa expired, the stay is valid and legal while waiting for the visa application to be reviewed/issued
* From the Citizenship application perspective, as long as 5 years have passed aka "the 5th anniversary of the date you entered on a spouse visa", the HO will be fine with that? Correct

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:15 pm

For what reason do you want to pay it before applying online? It givens you no benefit at all.
If the date of approval is used + the 8 weeks timeline for the visa process, does the gap between the first and the second FLR(m) matter to the HO/UKVCAS and would this in any way affect the citizenship application after reaching 5 years?
No.
Yes, however, ILR first before citizenship.
Correct
* From the Citizenship application perspective, as long as 5 years have passed aka "the 5th anniversary of the date you entered on a spouse visa", the HO will be fine with that?
No. You are confusing the ILR requirements with the citizenship requirements. They are two completely separate processes with different requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Picard

Post by Picard » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:05 pm

Thanks for all the answers.

You're right, I've confused ILR and Citizenship thinking they are parallel routes. The ILR first regardless and citizenship is the next step but optional.