ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Asylum Seeker wishing to marry non-UK national

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GraceKay
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Asylum Seeker wishing to marry non-UK national

Post by GraceKay » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:09 pm

Hello all..
I'm looking for some advice. I am an asylum seeker (have just made further submissions towards a fresh claim) and my fiance is American. We met 2years ago while he was working here and got engaged late last year. We plan to get married here in the UK (as I can't travel while my case is pending), does anyone know the implications of this? I know we have to give notice to marry and allow 70 days for H.O. to carry out investigations.. But he intends to come back to the UK on a marriage visa so we can go to the designated register office to give notice.. Will this affect my asylum claim in any way?
Any help will be appreciated..

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Asylum Seeker wishing to marry non-UK national

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:27 pm

It might be a struggle for your US fiancé to be granted a fiancé visa in order to marry in the UK. I have assumed you are a previously failed asylum seeker based on your resubmission of claim?

As you know you are not free to marry in the UK unless the Home Office grants you permission. A caseworker is not going to look favourably on the potential of having two individuals in the UK rather than just yourself potentially reliant on your asylum claim. This is probably not your intention but if you marry your fiancé he can be a dependent on your asylum application. The Home Office will not want to take that risk.

As for your actual asylum claim, getting married will not impact the decision and how it is outcomed. It may have a secondary impact if the claim is refused. It may point to the USA as being a viable country to move to rather than return to your home country.

shooroma

Post by shooroma » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:01 pm

GraceKay wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:09 pm
Hello all..
I'm looking for some advice. I am an asylum seeker (have just made further submissions towards a fresh claim) and my fiance is American. We met 2years ago while he was working here and got engaged late last year. We plan to get married here in the UK (as I can't travel while my case is pending), does anyone know the implications of this? I know we have to give notice to marry and allow 70 days for H.O. to carry out investigations.. But he intends to come back to the UK on a marriage visa so we can go to the designated register office to give notice.. Will this affect my asylum claim in any way?
Any help will be appreciated..
Hello @ GraceKay, Your situation appears to be a complicated one as said by Frontier Mole , your fiance may struggle to get a fiancée visa to UK to for the purposes of getting married based on your current circumstances because you currently have not been granted leave to remain in the UK yet and you are waiting the decision on your further submissions which may take a while depending on your case. Informing the Home office about your relationship with your fiancée may impact your case negatively should the HO decide to refuse your further Submissions , they may simply say "you can relocate with your fiancé to America as it is a safe and economically well country and he will support you financially . They wont care whether you can travel there or not but use it as a reason to refuse asylum. You might need to seek proper legal advice regarding your situation. All the best wishes

GraceKay
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by GraceKay » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:12 pm

Thank you all so much for your advice. Its all helpful.

GraceKay
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by GraceKay » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:00 pm

Hello everyone.. I have an issie. As someone who just made a further submission, and am waiting for a response; the Home Office has my passport and my initial ARC is expired. I have my I.D and birth certificate from my home country; but how do I give notice without my passport? Is it even possible? :cry: