ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish passport supporting documents

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

FlyingMum

Irish passport supporting documents

Post by FlyingMum » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:58 pm

My apologies if this has been asked before. I’ve had a look through the forum and can’t find a similar question.

My son submitted a paper application in December with certified copies of his British passport/driving licence. Yesterday, everything was returned with a cover letter advising him that all applications now must be online but not to submit supporting documentation until Ireland comes out of Level 5. He has now completed the new application as required and got a reference number.

However, the option in the Citizen Category where he has to supply his FBR certificate also states, ‘AND original passport from country of birth (if you have one)’ Ideally, he would rather not send the original. Has anyone had any success with the fully certified copy that would have originally been acceptable with a paper application?

Many thanks.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Irish passport supporting documents

Post by littlerr » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:01 pm

Certified copies were acceptable before the Level 5 lockdown (even though it is never an official rule), where the passport application is based on FBR and naturalisation.

I am not sure if this is still the case, as they haven't been progressing any passport application for a long time now. Your best bet would be to contact their WebChat agent during business hours. You can find them at https://www.dfa.ie/passports/contact/

The 'WebChat' button will be enabled when their staff come online.

FlyingMum

Re: Irish passport supporting documents

Post by FlyingMum » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:58 am

Many thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

As advised, I contacted the web chat service and they have confirmed that a certified copy IS acceptable. It isn’t made clear on the form.

I hope this information might be useful to anyone else who comes across this.