ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absences fom UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

annoyedatukba
Member of Standing

Absences fom UK

Post by annoyedatukba » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:25 pm

Hi Gurus,

It has been a while since i've posted on here here. I am in the final stages -fingers crossed.

I am writing re the absences from the UK - I satisfy the criteria for the 5 year period. But unfortunately I have spent 111 days out in the last 12 months. Is it worth submitting an application at the moment under the discretion clause or is it better to wait a few months until I am under the 90 days ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Absences fom UK

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:20 pm

I would say wait till you bring your absences in the last 1 year to at least less than 100 (it is normally disregarded).

If you have anything over 100 in the last 1 year, you have to meet additional requirements.

Ideal situation would be to wait till you meet the requirements less than 90 days.

If you have been outside UK due to pandemic delays, you could have a stronger case in case you decide to apply having 90+ absences.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ber_20.pdf
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

annoyedatukba
Member of Standing

Post by annoyedatukba » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi Cullinan,

Many thanks for your prompt response. I have indeed seen and read the guidance you sent across, that is how I learned that there was a discretion clause for absences between 101-180 days. The discretion clause stipulates that I have to demonstrate strong links with the UK alongside the future intentions requirement.

I was traveling on business and one of the people I was with tested positive for Covid, so naturally I had to self isolate for 2 weeks and test negative before I was able to board a flight to the UK. While I know that there is an area in the application form where I can explain this I cannot exactly prove it.

Having said all of that, I am leaning more towards applying later when my absences are between 90-100 days to avoid any excuse for a refusal.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:26 pm

annoyedatukba wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:22 pm
I am leaning more towards applying later when my absences are between 90-100 days to avoid any excuse for a refusal.
And that is also a valid choice.

You are not obliged to apply for British citizenship at the earliest possible opportunity. You can wait until you meet the requirements without asking for discretion.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

annoyedatukba
Member of Standing

Post by annoyedatukba » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 pm

Hi secret.simon

I know that I can apply, get a refusal and then reapply again later. But that would be silly, a waste of time and money. I would rather wait and apply when everything is in order to avoid any unnecessary delays / refusals.

Thank you for your advice and support.