ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Set (M) or Set (LR)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

priyaw3
Newly Registered
India

Set (M) or Set (LR)

Post by priyaw3 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:02 am

Hi, Please help. I was on a Tier 2 visa and then switched to EU Family member BRP from Nov 2016, married in May 2016. I qualify for 10 year Long residence since Oct 2020, but I am not sure if i qualify for dependant of a settled person (5 years) from the date of marriage or from the date the visa/BRP was granted in Nov 2016. ? My partner who is an EU citizen applied for the Settled scheme (Brexit).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Set (M) or Set (LR)

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:22 am

You don't qualify for set M.

You can apply for settled status 5 years after the date of marriage.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

priyaw3
Newly Registered
India

Post by priyaw3 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:28 am

Thank you for your quick comment....Please advise why I would not qualify for Set (M) if I complete 5 years marriage in May 2021? He is a settled person (EU citizen). I already applied via that, so I would need to cancel the application, ask for a refund and then reapply via (LR)? I arrived in the UK in Oct 2010, was on Tier 2 ICT, then switched to EU family member from Nov 2016 (took 6months for the application to go though after marriage in May 2016).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:32 am

Set M is ONLY relevant to those who have held 2 X 2.5 year Spouse visas. You don't hold a spouse visa (FLR M).

Why not simply wait till next month and apply for EU settled status which is a free application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

priyaw3
Newly Registered
India

Post by priyaw3 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:42 am

Please excuse my ignorance, what does it mean 2 x 2.5y spouse visa? Having been on a EU family member visa for 5 years don't qualify? I do want to apply for a British passport after the ILR, so wouldn't it be best to apply with Set (LR) instead of EU settled person? Please kindly advise.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:43 am

No. SET(M) requires at least 5 years leave under Appendix FM as a partner.

SET(LR) is possible, if discretion applies.

However,
CR001 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:32 am
Why not simply wait till next month and apply for EU settled status which is a free application.
is more reasonable.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:10 am

priyaw3 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:28 am
Thank you for your quick comment....Please advise why I would not qualify for Set (M) if I complete 5 years marriage in May 2021? He is a settled person (EU citizen). I already applied via that, so I would need to cancel the application, ask for a refund and then reapply via (LR)?
If you haven't done biometrics, then do cancel the doomed SET(M) application and get a full refund. Consider donating the money saved to a good charity instead of giving it away to the Home Office?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:24 pm

priyaw3 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:42 am
I do want to apply for a British passport after the ILR, so wouldn't it be best to apply with Set (LR) instead of EU settled person? Please kindly advise.
No. Settled status is just as acceptable as ILR for the purposes of naturalisation.

Settled status > Naturalisation > British passport.