ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendering Indian Passport and applying for OCI for minor child

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

deba.theia
Newly Registered

Surrendering Indian Passport and applying for OCI for minor child

Post by deba.theia » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:12 pm

Hello everyone!

I hope I am posting in the correct sub forum, if not, can the moderators please re-direct me to the correct sub forum?

I applied for OCI for my newborn last year before the second lockdown. However, because of the lockdown, HCI/VFS was closed and we could not get an appointment before 29th March this year. As a proof of Indian origin, we had uploaded both mine and my spouse’s copies of Indian passport. We have not yet received our child’s OCI.

Now because of this massive gap between application submission and OCI appointment for my child, both of us have received our British naturalisation certificate (we did not have British Citizenship at the time of application and did not anticipate that there would be such a long wait). We have an appointment to surrender our Indian passports on April 10th.

Can someone advise if we should surrender our Indian passports which we have submitted as proof of my child’s Indian origin or should we wait till we have received our child’s OCI and then surrender our Indian passports?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you all.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: Surrendering Indian Passport and applying for OCI for minor child

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:08 pm

If you let it be as is and wait for the childs OCI application to proceed there is no harm. But then you would have to get another appointment for your surrender application.

At the same time, Surrender of Indian Passports takes max 10 days (might take longer now, never know with current scheme of things), and they return your the passports after clipping the corner anyway. A cancelled/surrendered/clipped indian passport remains valid proof all the way. So you don't have to worry.

If however, after making surrender of passport application on 10th you are asked for your passports you may inform them of the same (highly, highly unlikely).
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

deba.theia
Newly Registered

Re: Surrendering Indian Passport and applying for OCI for minor child

Post by deba.theia » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:35 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:08 pm
If you let it be as is and wait for the childs OCI application to proceed there is no harm. But then you would have to get another appointment for your surrender application.

At the same time, Surrender of Indian Passports takes max 10 days (might take longer now, never know with current scheme of things), and they return your the passports after clipping the corner anyway. A cancelled/surrendered/clipped indian passport remains valid proof all the way. So you don't have to worry.

If however, after making surrender of passport application on 10th you are asked for your passports you may inform them of the same (highly, highly unlikely).
Thank you very much for your response.