ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling Straight After Naturalisation / Returning ILR certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tezzaaa
Newly Registered
France

Travelling Straight After Naturalisation / Returning ILR certificate

Post by tezzaaa » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:22 am

Hi,

I've just booked my naturalisation ceremony for 23rd of June (impossible to get an earlier date). I'm a EE passport holder with ILR. My ILR certificate is a paper card, not a biometric plastic card. I've read that 'Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)' need to be returned within 5 days of naturalisation ceremony. I have a couple of questions:
- do I need to return my ILR certificate even though it's not a biometric (plastic) one? when i applied for ILR at the time I did not go through biometrics
- I need to go to China end of June latest for my work, I'm likely to stay away for a few months given it's not easy to back and forth at present. In case I do need to return my ILR card, can I come back using my naturalisation certificate? I'm not sure what the score is with EE passport with regards to Brexit
- Alternatively, could I apply for my first British Passport from China? (I'm obviously not resident there)

Thank you + Best Wishes

Salsero_007
Newly Registered
Russia

Re: Travelling Straight After Naturalisation / Returning ILR certificate

Post by Salsero_007 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 pm

1. You are not a British citizen till you pronounce the oath. So you are not eligible for the passport till the ceremony.
2. Immediately after the ceremony you become British and may return to the UK only by using the British passport OR
3. AFAIK - you might either have your other passport being stamped to allow you to return to the UK (just a few days) or express passport could be issued.

Here is a quote from the WWW.
... in such circumstances, it may be best to delay booking and attending the citizenship ceremony.
Normally, you will have 3 months from receipt of the Home Office letter of your application outcome to book and attend the ceremony. It your travel is booked to take place within that time, it may be best to contact your local council and explain the situation to them.
Council officials are extremely helpful and may possibly arrange for you to attend the ceremony at the latest available date. This may give you sufficient time to complete your travels and return to the UK using your BRP before attending the ceremony. This option will not be available if your certificate of British citizenship has been sent to you instead.
BTW: Search for the "Urgent! Travelling after Citizenship ceremoney" topic on this forum.
british-citizenship/urgent-travelling-a ... 64980.html

Salsero_007
Newly Registered
Russia

Re: Travelling Straight After Naturalisation / Returning ILR certificate

Post by Salsero_007 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:00 pm