ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MehreenNajeeb
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Application for British Citizenship

Post by MehreenNajeeb » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:55 pm

Hello.

I will be grateful for some advice please.
I have received my ILR after completing 5 years in the UK on PBS dependent Tier 2 visa. My husband is a British citizen since 2019. Am I correct in thinking that I can apply for British citizenship straight away and dont need to wait for 1 year post ILR?

Please let me know at your convenience.

Many thanks,

Mehreen

PS: I tried but could not post in the previous thread. May be its locked - apologies

London22
Member of Standing

Re: Application for British Citizenship

Post by London22 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:32 pm

MehreenNajeeb wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:55 pm
Hello.

I will be grateful for some advice please.
I have received my ILR after completing 5 years in the UK on PBS dependent Tier 2 visa. My husband is a British citizen since 2019. Am I correct in thinking that I can apply for British citizenship straight away and dont need to wait for 1 year post ILR?

Please let me know at your convenience.

Many thanks,

Mehreen

PS: I tried but could not post in the previous thread. May be its locked - apologies
Mehreen
You can't apply for nationality quickly after getting ILR as you got ILR not on spouse route. Nationality as soon as after ILR is only possible for marriage route while you were on tier 2 hence you should wait for 1year after ILR.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:53 pm

London22 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:32 pm
Mehreen
You can't apply for nationality quickly after getting ILR as you got ILR not on spouse route. Nationality as soon as after ILR is only possible for marriage route while you were on tier 2 hence you should wait for 1year after ILR.
Absolute nonsense. The route to ilr is completely irrelevant for spouse of BC citizenship applications. The requirment to skip waiting 12 months in ILR is ONLY that you are married to a British citizen at the time of application (even if your spouse became British 1 days ago attending their ceremony), regardless of which route tonilr you took. Nowhere does it state it is only for those who went through the spouse visa route!!

Best not to give wrong and incorrect advice if you don't know the rules, it just creates confusion
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:03 pm

Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:54 pm

London22 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:32 pm
Nationality as soon as after ILR is only possible for marriage route
That bit is definitely wrong.

So long as the applicant is settled by any route (ILR under any provision of the UK Immigration Rules or Settled Status under Appendix EU) AND the applicant's spouse or civil partner is a British citizen on the date of the naturalisation application, they need not wait one year after ILR.

There is no requirement for the applicant's ILR to have been on any spousal route or indeed for the applicant to have ever held a spousal visa at any time. Nor is there a minimum requirement for the couple to have been married for a certain period of time or for the spouse to have held British citizenship for a specific period of time.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

MehreenNajeeb
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by MehreenNajeeb » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:22 pm

Hello. Thank you all very much for your comments. Thank you for the reference. So to summarise, from your comments and the reference 6(2) BNA, I am eligible to apply for British Citizenship?

Many thanks,

Mehreen

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:32 am

MehreenNajeeb wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:22 pm
Hello. Thank you all very much for your comments. Thank you for the reference. So to summarise, from your comments and the reference 6(2) BNA, I am eligible to apply for British Citizenship?

Many thanks,

Mehreen
Yes given you meet all other AN requirements for example residence absence limits, physical presence at the start of the qualifying period, good character etc. Refer to the guidance as above.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

MehreenNajeeb
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by MehreenNajeeb » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 am

Thank you very much.

MehreenNajeeb
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by MehreenNajeeb » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:25 pm

I have another query and hope you can give some advice. The online citizenship application asks for partner’s citizenship certificate reference number - the citizenship certificate has two numbers - a certificate number (7 digits) and a reference number (9 digits)

As the question had asked for the citizenship certificate reference number, I have written the 9 digit reference number in the application. Previously on this platform both answers have been suggested i.e some suggested reference no and some suggested certificate number so wasnt really sure. Please advise which is correct or can either be used.

In any case, i will be uploading the citizenship certificate so home office can see both numbers and my partner says he can mention both numbers in a supporting letter.

Thank you for your help

Mehreen

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:13 pm

No problem, just upload a copy.