ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit form question

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NadiiaR
Ukraine

Child benefit form question

Post by NadiiaR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi village!
I recently got my ILR and I would like to complete child benefit form for my 2 children. Important notice, I need to complete it, as I want to get NI credits.
There are few questions on thus form that I am not sure...
Q18. Are you subject to immigration control now or in past 6 months... Yes ( I guess even with ILR, I will remain a subject to immigration control)
Q19. Tell us date your immigration status was granted???
Date of ILR or my previous visas?

There is no question about type of visa or status I have..how do they know that I can claim these benefits?

I would appreciate your advice.
NadiiaR

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Child benefit form question

Post by JB007 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:43 pm

NadiiaR wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:28 pm
I recently got my ILR and I would like to complete child benefit form for my 2 children. Important notice, I need to complete it, as I want to get NI credits.
There are few questions on thus form that I am not sure...
Q18. Are you subject to immigration control now or in past 6 months... Yes ( I guess even with ILR, I will remain a subject to immigration control)
For benefit (public funds) purposes, somebody with ILR is not subject to immigration control. Have you held ILR for the past 6 months?
NadiiaR wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:28 pm
Q19. Tell us date your immigration status was granted???
Date of ILR or my previous visas?
Date you were granted ILR. You can't have Child Benefit if you don't have ILR.

Child Benefit can be backdated for 3 months, IF you have held ILR for that time.

NadiiaR
Ukraine

Post by NadiiaR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply, JB007.
I received my ILR just few weeks ago.
I don't actually plan to claim any child benefits, as my husband doesn't want to complete self-assessment every year. Not much point for us. But kids will get NI number automatically and I do get NI credits for times when I am on maternity leave. So I want to do it.
So I say "yes" to subject of immigration control in past 6 months and put date when I was granted my ILR.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:11 am

NadiiaR wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 pm
I received my ILR just few weeks ago.
I don't actually plan to claim any child benefits, as my husband doesn't want to complete self-assessment every year. Not much point for us. But kids will get NI number automatically and I do get NI credits for times when I am on maternity leave. So I want to do it.
You pay tax and national insurance on maternity pay.
https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/pay

National Insurance Contributions and National Insurance Credits are not the same thing.
There are different types of of both Contributions and Credits and they give different things.
https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits
A Credit from CB only seems to be towards a state pension.

NadiiaR wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 pm
So I say "yes" to subject of immigration control in past 6 months and put date when I was granted my ILR.
That's how I am reading it, for the reasons I gave in my previous post. You can only have CB from when you have been granted ILR, unless you are in one the exempt groups that can claim CB before ILR.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds