ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Son's Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shahid77
Newly Registered

Son's Naturalization

Post by shahid77 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi All,

I got ILR Visa since 2015, My Wife and Son got ILR today, My son born in Pakistan that is why he had to go through five year route along with my wife. My daughter born here in UK after my ILR and she has British passport. Now my question is:

Could I apply for my Son's naturalization straight away from today or shall i have to wait a year to apply for his naturalization?

Regards
Shahid

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Son's Naturalization

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:20 pm

Children are REGISTERED not naturalised.

He can apply now.

Your spouse can also apply now if they meet the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:20 pm

You can register your son now IF either parent applies for British Citizenship/or is a British Citizen already also.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

shahid77
Newly Registered

Post by shahid77 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:35 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:20 pm
Children are REGISTERED not naturalised.

He can apply now.

Your spouse can also apply now if they meet the requirements.
Thanks for getting back, I am slightly confused here when you said my wife can also apply for naturalization. My Wife got ILR Visa today, will not she wait for a year before she can apply for naturalization (British passport). also
When my son was born in Pakistan i did not have ILR at that time he is 9 years old now he also got ILR today along with his mother. Do i have to apply first for my naturalization and British passport before they can apply, or they by their selves can apply straight away for Naturalization and soon after for British Passport from today?

Regards
Shahid

shahid77
Newly Registered

Post by shahid77 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:39 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
You can register your son now IF either parent applies for British Citizenship/or is a British Citizen already also.
First of all thanks for your reply, I do not want to apply for British Citizenship now but i have ILR, my wife ILR application approved today and as for as i know she might need to wait for a year before she can apply for British Citizenship (British Passport), does it mean my son can not apply for British citizenship and British Passport till next year 15 April?

Regards
Shahid

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:53 pm

Children born abroad are expected to have ILR and at least one parent who either is a British citizen or who is applying to become a British citizen at the same time.

In your case, there are two choices.
a) Wait for a year and the child can apply with the mother when she applies for British citizenship (provided they are under the age of 18).
b) Wait until the child's 18th birthday and the child can then apply for naturalisation in their own right, meeting the same requirements as any adult (absences, physical presence, English language, LITUK, etc).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:46 pm

shahid77 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:39 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
First of all thanks for your reply, I do not want to apply for British Citizenship now but i have ILR, my wife ILR application approved today and as for as i know she might need to wait for a year before she can apply for British Citizenship (British Passport), does it mean my son can not apply for British citizenship and British Passport till next year 15 April?

Regards
Shahid
In your case as @secret.simon mentioned, your child born in Pakistan will have to wait till your wife applies for BC after 1 year on her ILR in April 2022 OR can apply now IF you apply for BC along with him.

Your wife is not dependent on you anymore for citizenship application. She can apply in her own right after 1 year on ILR. You do not have to apply if you do not want to. There is no dependent concept for Naturalisation. Everyone meets requirements on their own. Your wife will apply via Section 6(1) BNA in this case.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.