ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adoption Affidavit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

klukas14
Newly Registered
United States of America

Adoption Affidavit

Post by klukas14 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:55 pm

Good morning!
I sent in my paperwork to register my birth in Ireland (adoptive father born in Ireland). The Adoption Authority of Ireland emailed me requesting an affidavit to be signed by an attorney. I have come to a bit of a roadblock. I have contacted a few attorneys in the state where I was adopted to complete the affidavit. They cannot help me. Does anyone know if the attorney needs to 1. be in the state where you were adopted and 2. be practicing adoption law? Has anyone else had this issue?
Thank you!
K

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Adoption Affidavit

Post by littlerr » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:40 pm

How does the affidavit look like and why did those attorneys not want to sign it?

At least in Ireland, all that a solicitor does in an affidavit is to verify you are who you say you are and the signature is consistent. They don’t really care about the contents in the affidavit as that’s not something they can verify. I wonder what specific contents in your case are causing them not to want to get their money?

klukas14
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by klukas14 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:20 pm

Hi! The affidavit is quite short. I think it is 1.5 pages. I worked with an attorney to get my application and documents together. I was hoping she could complete the affidavit, but she is saying an attorney who practices in the state I was adopted and who practices adoption law needs to complete. I can't seem to find that requirement anywhere though, so I was wondering if anyone else ran into this situation.

The Adoption Authority in Ireland wants an attorney to draft and sign the affidavit swearing certain things about my adoption. Basically, to show the adoption was completed within the Irish adoption laws.

I am not sure. I explained what I needed and they said they did not think they could help. I actually heard back from one attorney, but they would like $500 just to review my adoption records.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:43 pm

All I can say is to keep calling other attorneys. You might have just happened to find a few picky ones who don’t bother doing small jobs (who will always tell you either they can’t do it or charge a monstrous amount of fee for it).