ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How do people usually prove they were in the UK on a given date?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamoe

How do people usually prove they were in the UK on a given date?

Post by kamoe » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:54 am

Just curious... what are standard, accepted ways to prove one was physically present in the UK exactly 5 years before the application is received? Specially for EU nationals, who usually don't get stamps on their passports, what is a good way? I'm scratching my head over this.

Pictures? (Do they take your word for it regarding dates?)
Officially recorded events? (e.g. your first dose of covid vaccine; your being a witness at someone else's wedding). This seems the strongest, but the most difficult to match to an exact date!
Absence of travel stamps? (Again, do they take your word for it?)

Can anyone share examples of how they did this? Thanks.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: How do people usually prove they were in the UK on a given date?

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:16 pm

As I understand it there is no requirement to prove that date, or your absences. I suppose if the date 5 years prior is not in your list of absences then you were present, a negative proof. I don't recall any reports where naturalisation applicants were asked to prove this date positively, or provide documents for absences. BTW, I didn't.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

cmar2017
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by cmar2017 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:39 pm

I would assume, every time I enter the UK, that in order to pass through the e-gates, my passport is scanned and a visual confirmation that I am the bearer of the passport is completed. When you have merely a national identity card or a paper card, such as the Italian paper card which is being currently phased out, you have to stand in the other queue so that a UKBF offer runs the information through the database.

However, the UKBF also performs a quick check into if the person's identity (Name and DOB) matches up with anyone flagged on the warnings database. This is one of the tricks that some EU nationals try to pull at UKBF/Immigration. So let's say an Italian commits a crime in Poland and goes tries to enter the UK, there is a warning system that a warrant has been made for that person matching the name and DOB, so that they can be arrested within the UK airport.

The simple answer to the question though is UKBF does monitor people's immigration into the UK. I can't remember the specific statute but airlines, if that is how you have travelled, do share their information with government security agencies.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:45 pm

Thanks both.

So you do not actually have to prove it? Just make sure that you were indeed in the UK, and it's up to the Home Office to verify this?
If so, the whole thing is much easier than I thought. :)
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:21 pm

So you do not actually have to prove it?
No
Just make sure that you were indeed in the UK, and it's up to the Home Office to verify this?
UKVI does their own checks. If you don't meet this mandatory requirement, your application can be refused and you lose your fee. There is no discretion on this rule.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:26 pm

You need to list your absences in the application form. The Home Office will likely have its own resources to verify the information that you provide, such as the API information from airlines, etc.

And if you did not list a material absence (such as that absence being exactly five years before the
date of application or an excessively long absence), a subsequently granted citizenship, based on what the Home Office would see as deception, can be withdrawn/deprived or declared a nullity.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:14 pm

All the above solve my question.

May main worry was the potential of having to come up with evidence of UK presence on a specific date (or rather a full range of dates, since how can you know precisely when the HO will receive your application???). This seemed quite a difficult thing to do, except if you happened to travel in and out of the UK (and could provide entry/exit stamps or boarding passes), or had a life event (recorded appointment, wedding, etc.) on that precise date. I visualised myself on a nightmare scenario trying to calculate the optimal time to send the application so that a suitable proof existed for the date the application happened to land at the Home Office!

Therefore it makes sense that the burden of proof is not on the applicant, but rather on the intelligence/logs from UKVI and the Home Office. The applicant of course acts in good faith and truthfully lists their absences.

Got it.

Thanks everyone.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:31 pm

or rather a full range of dates, since how can you know precisely when the HO will receive your application???
The date of application is the date you submit and pay online and is the date that is relevant to the physical requirement rule at the start of the qualifying period. It is not the biometric date or the date that UKVI start looking at your application that determines the 'relevant date'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:31 pm
or rather a full range of dates, since how can you know precisely when the HO will receive your application???
The date of application is the date you submit and pay online and is the date that is relevant to the physical requirement rule at the start of the qualifying period. It is not the biometric date or the date that UKVI start looking at your application that determines the 'relevant date'.
Ok thanks!