ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post Study Work (PSW)

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Shreakh
Sri Lanka

Post Study Work (PSW)

Post by Shreakh » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:31 am

UK has begun to offer the 2 years of post study work permit (from 2020 I think) for those who complete a Bachelor or Master degree in the UK. I completed my bachelors in the UK in 2012 and got the PSW for two years, worked and came back to my home country in 2014. Now in 2021, I'm planning to go back to UK for the Masters.
After completing my MSc, will I be eligible to apply for the 2 years of PSW again ? I heard that PSW is a once in a life time offer and cannot have it again. Any advise on this please ?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Post Study Work (PSW)

Post by sah10406 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:32 am

Shreakh wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:31 am
After completing my MSc, will I be eligible to apply for the 2 years of PSW again ?
Yes. The Graduate route is a new work route, it is not Tier 1 Post Study Work. The only part of the new Appendix Graduate in its Rules that excludes people with previous types of permission is

GR 1.4. The applicant must not have been previously granted permission under the Doctorate Extension Scheme or as a Graduate.

Paragraph 6.2 of the immigration rules now defines a Graduate as "a person who has, or had, permission as a Graduate under Appendix Graduate of these Rules.”

Appendix Graduate includes no references to Tier 1 Post Study Work.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... march-2021
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Shreakh
Sri Lanka

Post by Shreakh » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:21 am

Thanks for the clarification.

Regarding the dependents,
If I wish to bring my dependents to the UK after receiving the post study work visa, will it be allowed?
Should the dependents be living in the UK (as dependents of my student visa) at the time I apply for the PSW if my dependents need to remain in the UK ?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:43 am

Shreakh wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:21 am
Should the dependents be living in the UK (as dependents of my student visa) at the time I apply for the PSW if my dependents need to remain in the UK ?
Yes.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Shreakh
Sri Lanka

Post by Shreakh » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:17 am

In that case, if I apply for visa for my dependents as well at the same time I initially apply for the student visa, can my dependents come to UK at the last three months of my student visa validity period ? (regardless of them having the visa from the beginning itself )

Or

I apply for my student visa, come to the UK and after 6 months I can apply for visa for my dependents.

Would that work ?

Shreakh
Sri Lanka

Post by Shreakh » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:19 am

my course duration being 12 months...

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:24 am

Given your ongoing and multiple questions about the Student route and Graduate route applications, I would recommend getting professional advice from the international student adviser at your university.

eisls
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by eisls » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:20 pm

@Shreakh,

As per the rules a dependent cannot join on PSW unless he is already on Student Visa. It means if you want to bring a dependent on PSW they should be your dependent on student visa.