ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

amazingneo
Newly Registered

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by amazingneo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:44 am

nn7 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:23 pm
Hi dhruv4500

Did you get any response regarding your query? I have similar issue as I had submitted my documents in December and now have my new appointment date in April. I am not sure if I need to resubmit fresh documents including company letter etc. or if I continue to use my previously submitted form.

Please do let us know if you get a response or how your appointment goes.

Many thanks

dhruv4500 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:27 pm
Hi, I have filled my OCI application in Oct 2020 but have not managed to get an appointment since then,
1. Is my application still valid or do I have to make a new OCI application and
2. If my application is still valid, Do I have to re-submit my documents again since it's nearly 5 months.
Does VFS have any criteria for documents to be not older than 3 months?

I have emailed and rang VFS services with the above question but no response :(

(i was able to re-print my submitted application from https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome)

Thanks.
1) Old applications valid for 6 months.
2) I did not renew my document from December, submitted the same last week, and not questioned by VFS.

amazingneo
Newly Registered

Post by amazingneo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:46 am

Anyone has any idea of "actual" processing time for OCI (London)?
They quoted 6-8 weeks, but going by past timelines in this thread, it has generally take 4 weeks end-to-end.

vishalnatekar
Newly Registered
India

Post by vishalnatekar » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:09 pm

Hi Guys,

I am applying for OCI and i see the below documents needs to be uploaded.

Current valid passport
Letter from employer/Pay Slip/Proof of own business/Student ID card/Proof of last employment.
Naturalization/Registration Certificate
Surrender Certificate/Renunciation certificate
Indian passport

But when i upload the documents online in https://ociservices.gov.in/

I dont see the option(in the dropdown) to upload some of the documents such as -
Surrender Certficaate
Naturalization certificate

How did you guys upload them?

Thanks for your response.

Thanks

amazingneo
Newly Registered

Post by amazingneo » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:55 am

vishalnatekar wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:09 pm
Hi Guys,

I am applying for OCI and i see the below documents needs to be uploaded.

Current valid passport
Letter from employer/Pay Slip/Proof of own business/Student ID card/Proof of last employment.
Naturalization/Registration Certificate
Surrender Certificate/Renunciation certificate
Indian passport

But when i upload the documents online in https://ociservices.gov.in/

I dont see the option(in the dropdown) to upload some of the documents such as -
Surrender Certficaate
Naturalization certificate

How did you guys upload them?

Thanks for your response.

Thanks
You can upload in any document category. Try choosing something most 'reasonable' but it doesn't matter, they are aware of this, and they pick up all the uploaded docs. (alternative is you bundle the PDFs into a single file (free online merge tools) and upload that as one).

bcilr18
Mood:

Post by bcilr18 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:15 pm

Has anyone managed to book an appointment in Manchester VFS? Are they even open?

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:02 am

I am too waiting- I dont even see the option of Manchester VFS on the dropdown on the hcilondon website.

Its very frustrating! I hope they will begin normal operations from 5th April onwards?

Thanks!

qoolnaren
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by qoolnaren » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:05 am

Hello Friends,

Appointment for VFS Edinburgh is now available starting 23 March 2021

newbie0203
India

Post by newbie0203 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:39 pm

Appointments are now available at VFS Birmingham for many dates in April.

AnjUK1
Newly Registered
India

Post by AnjUK1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:48 am

Is it possible to register a new application online with the correct documents and submit it instead of the old one? I didn't find an option to upload the naturalization and surrender certificate online in my earlier application and I am planning to start a new online application instead.

kperiyasamy
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by kperiyasamy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:30 pm

I am facing a problem accessing the website https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/ to book an appointment for my Kid's OCI renewal. The website is taking ages to load, does anyone face similar issue?

Also, for the Kid's passport renewal is it mandatory to renew the OCI to reflect the new passport number, if we are carrying the old passport? I can see the services are still not fully resumed, no appointments available online , and they seem to have a heavy backlogs.

goldenstarnice
India

Post by goldenstarnice » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:35 pm

I thought of adding my experience here for minor kids OCI renewal will help someone. This is for uk and it looks every country has some different process to follow.

Two Photos to be stick in the bottom of the first page of the application form.
Minor children 5 and over must sign

Upload the below documents

Kids New passport
Kids Old Passport
Kids Current OCI
Residency proof
Parents passports combined

No need to notarize here in the UK process and I dont think they check any of the photo copied document.

On your appointment date they want to see only the

Application form
New passport
OCI
Prepaid envelope(2 per application) if you want to save some money otherwise they will give you

After verified they keep only the oci and will return the New passport immediately.

NB:
ref third party weblink removed by koderator5

nickcooluz
Newly Registered

Post by nickcooluz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:37 am

Hi,

I need some advise.

1. What day/time appointments are made available on HCIlondon website as they are all fully booked for Birmingham and Leicester from past few weeks and I have been checking regularly but no luck!
2. I'm unable to find my surrender certificate and wanted to check if there is an alternative document I attach to my application. The photocopy of my old indian passport help in this case?

Thanks

bcilr18
Mood:

Post by bcilr18 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:49 am

nickcooluz wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:37 am
Hi,

I need some advise.

1. What day/time appointments are made available on HCIlondon website as they are all fully booked for Birmingham and Leicester from past few weeks and I have been checking regularly but no luck!
2. I'm unable to find my surrender certificate and wanted to check if there is an alternative document I attach to my application. The photocopy of my old indian passport help in this case?

Thanks
Hi Nickcooluz,

1. All VFS centers are open now. From others' experiences, seems like the slots kind of refresh at 6.30pm daily. It is true that their website is getting a lot of traffic and crashes but will have to keep trying till you get one.

2. You can combine your documents into one and upload in the most relevant category. I combined the below and uploaded
a. CURRENT PASSPORT - British passort, naturlaization certificate and driving licence
b. EMPLOYMENT/WORK LETTER - Employment letter and payslip (payslip wasn't required)
c. PREVIOUS INDIAN PASSPORT OF SELF - Cancelled indian passport and Surrender certificate

You can refer this link (if moderators permit) for detailed process of oci application third party weblink removed by moderator - you can read the comments for that blog for faqs.

Indian 6699
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Indian 6699 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:58 am

bcilr18 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:49 am
nickcooluz wrote:
Hi Nickcooluz,

1. All VFS centers are open now. From others' experiences, seems like the slots kind of refresh at 6.30pm daily. It is true that their website is getting a lot of traffic and crashes but will have to keep trying till you get one.

2. You can combine your documents into one and upload in the most relevant category. I combined the below and uploaded
a. CURRENT PASSPORT - British passort, naturlaization certificate and driving licence
b. EMPLOYMENT/WORK LETTER - Employment letter and payslip (payslip wasn't required)
c. PREVIOUS INDIAN PASSPORT OF SELF - Cancelled indian passport and Surrender certificate

You can refer this link (if moderators permit) for detailed process of oci application third party weblink removed by moderator - you can read the comments for that blog for faqs.
What are the original documents that Vfs is taking with them when applying oci at the moment ? Do buy special delivery envelope size C4 ?

nickcooluz
Newly Registered

Post by nickcooluz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:12 am

bcilr18 wrote:
nickcooluz wrote:
Hi,

I need some advise.

Thanks
Hi Nickcooluz,

Hi bcilr18,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I still have a question on the point c. above - Unfortunately I have misplaced my surrender certificate and only have a copy of my old indian passport. Would it be a problem if I don't submit the surrender certificate with my application for OCI? Is there a way to request for a copy of my surrender certificate again from the Indian embassy?

Thanks again

bcilr18
Mood:

Post by bcilr18 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:02 am

nickcooluz wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:12 am
bcilr18 wrote:
nickcooluz wrote:
Hi,

I need some advise.

Thanks
Hi Nickcooluz,

Hi bcilr18,

I still have a question on the point c. above - Unfortunately I have misplaced my surrender certificate and only have a copy of my old indian passport. Would it be a problem if I don't submit the surrender certificate with my application for OCI? Is there a way to request for a copy of my surrender certificate again from the Indian embassy?

Thanks again
Surrender certificate is mandatory for OCI application. This needs to be uploaded prior to your VFS appointment. VFS will check the uploaded documents at the time of appointment and will notify you. You cannot go ahead with the application past this stage.

I'm not sure which scenario you fit into;
1. Applicants who got foreign nationality after May 2010 require Surrender Certificate for OCI application
2. Applicants who got foreign nationality before May 2010 require some sort of affidavit to prove being an Indian citizen
3. Applicants who lost Surrender cert after May 2010 need to apply again by contacting VFS and Indian consulate. Your chances are stronger provided you have the cancelled indian passport and its photocopies, copy of the original surrender certificate, copy of the vfs appointment receipts, letters etc, all have to be submitted as evidence to reissue.

Just collected all the above info from various forums and gov websites. Best approach is to contact directly the vfs centre and consulate. Will speed up your process.

nickcooluz
Newly Registered

Post by nickcooluz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:40 am

bcilr18 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:02 am
nickcooluz wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:12 am
bcilr18 wrote:
nickcooluz wrote:
Hi,

I need some advise.

Thanks
Hi Nickcooluz,

Hi bcilr18,

Thanks again
Surrender certificate is mandatory for OCI application. This needs to be uploaded prior to your VFS appointment. VFS will check the uploaded documents at the time of appointment and will notify you. You cannot go ahead with the application past this stage.

I'm not sure which scenario you fit into;
1. Applicants who got foreign nationality after May 2010 require Surrender Certificate for OCI application
2. Applicants who got foreign nationality before May 2010 require some sort of affidavit to prove being an Indian citizen
3. Applicants who lost Surrender cert after May 2010 need to apply again by contacting VFS and Indian consulate. Your chances are stronger provided you have the cancelled indian passport and its photocopies, copy of the original surrender certificate, copy of the vfs appointment receipts, letters etc, all have to be submitted as evidence to reissue.

Just collected all the above info from various forums and gov websites. Best approach is to contact directly the vfs centre and consulate. Will speed up your process.
Thank you so much for your help and guidance.

santa
Newly Registered
India

Post by santa » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:26 pm

When booking an appointment for OCI which passport number to use - Indian passport or British passport ?

Indian 6699
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Indian 6699 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:14 am

If you had British passport , then that is your current passport , so you need use your British passport number ( I had booked with British passport number ) but as I am not in to appointment yet I am not sure but please check with other members too.

Also if you had surrendered Indian passport recently. I need your help mate , for self-addressd royal mail envelope do we need put address label our-self with special delivery stamp ? Also when self -attesting documents do we need to put only signature or with date too ? Just wondering if VFS will send any text for dispatch when using royal mail ?

alex86
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by alex86 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:05 am

I am going to apply for fresh OCI for 2 adults application and two child application. I have a doubts about the submitting the documents for the adult application and children’s application in OCI portal and the documents which we need to submit with application with vfs office Manchester.
Could anyone help me please thanks

bcilr18
Mood:

Post by bcilr18 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:05 am

santa wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:26 pm
When booking an appointment for OCI which passport number to use - Indian passport or British passport ?
I booked with British passport and my appointment went fine. As per my understanding, you book with a current valid passport as Indian pspt is cancelled.

bcilr18
Mood:

Post by bcilr18 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am

Indian 6699 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:14 am
If you had British passport , then that is your current passport , so you need use your British passport number ( I had booked with British passport number ) but as I am not in to appointment yet I am not sure but please check with other members too.

Also if you had surrendered Indian passport recently. I need your help mate , for self-addressd royal mail envelope do we need put address label our-self with special delivery stamp ? Also when self -attesting documents do we need to put only signature or with date too ? Just wondering if VFS will send any text for dispatch when using royal mail ?
You need to buy the postage in advance and the post office will stick them on for you, you just need to fill in your home address. I personally would go for the service provided by VFS which is usually DX courier and you get the SMS on every stage. Cost is slightly higher but you won't have to worry about loss of post and VFS isn't responsible for royal mail losing post.

For self attesting, I usually sign with the date underneath my signature. I haven't seen a set format to do so but this is how I have always done with VFS applications.

bcilr18
Mood:

Post by bcilr18 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am

alex86 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:05 am
I am going to apply for fresh OCI for 2 adults application and two child application. I have a doubts about the submitting the documents for the adult application and children’s application in OCI portal and the documents which we need to submit with application with vfs office Manchester.
Could anyone help me please thanks
What are your doubts?

sraj
Newly Registered

Post by sraj » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:31 am

Hi all
I read in the news that OCI renewal for under 20s is not required anymore, when passport is renewed but copy of new passport and child's photo need to be uploaded on the website within 90 days of passport renewal.
Is there anymore information available regarding where to upload passport copy and photo?
I can't find anything on official websites but it was all over the media 7-10 days ago.
Regards

santoshphilip88
Newly Registered
India

Post by santoshphilip88 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:47 pm

Just posting an observation re: appointments release - there does not seem to be a set time for appointments release. I recently booked 2 appointments at London Hounslow - 1 for surrender of Indian passport which was booked at 5pm UK time and another for OCI which was booked at 1pm! Today at 1pm there were plenty of appointments on several dates in April and May at London Hounslow. So check the website randomly whenever possible - you may get lucky!