ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British overseas territory

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JAmom
Newly Registered
United States of America

British overseas territory

Post by JAmom » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi good all hope someone can help I need a little help a friend of mine was born in the British virgin islands Nov 1,1986 here parents were lawful resident at the time of her birth. In 2002 she advised that she need registered as a overseas citizen she was issued citizenship under section 15(4) she has a British overseas passport. Her children was born in the British virgin islands and all have both UK passport and British virgin islands passport.
Does she qualify for a UK passport or does she need to register in the UK before she can apply for a UK passport?
Thanks in advance for any help

secret.simon

Re: British overseas territory

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 pm

When was she registered as a British Overseas Territories citizen? If she was registered in 2002, the month of registration may be relevant.
JAmom wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:26 pm
she need registered as a overseas citizen...she has a British overseas passport
Also, be aware that British Overseas Citizenship (BOC) and British Overseas Territories Citizenship (BOTC) are two very different things and have very different rights. Your friend has the latter citizenship (based on the section that you quoted above).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JAmom
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by JAmom » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:21 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.
She was registered as a British Overseas Territory Citizen on December 13, 2002

What rights does she have?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:50 pm

I believe that your friend will need to register as a British citizen under Section 4A of the British Nationality Act 1981 on Form B(OTA) (also see Guide B(OTA)). The fees are £901.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JAmom
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by JAmom » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:15 pm

thank you for your reply that was helpful.