ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling abroad after submitting naturalisation application/biometrics

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

stegio80

Payslips as proof of residence

Post by stegio80 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:01 pm

Good evening,
I need a piece of advice. I've started preparing the documents for my naturalisation application. I've always been employed for the last five years, so I have a payslip for every single month plus P60.
As every single month is covered, I thought of asking a letter only to my current employer and not to every single employer I had in the past. In particular, there is one of them where I was employed for just two months and it would be burdensome to get a letter.
I have a friend of mine who applied for naturalisation not long ago and used only payslips and P60s, and the process went smoothly. Taking into account I don't have any employment gap (maybe two days overall), can you confirm I don't need to ask a letter from my previous employers?
Would I need any additional proof of residence if every month is covered by a payslip and P60?
Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Payslips as proof of residence

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:07 pm

P60s (a summary of your payslips!) is all that is required, one per year for the five year period, NO payslips. Employer letter is an alternative - if you worked for one employer for the five years a letter is easier normally (just one document). No need for any additional documents to prove residency or address.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:12 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:07 pm
P60s (a summary of your payslips!) is all that is required, one per year for the five year period, NO payslips. Employer letter is an alternative - if you worked for one employer for the five years a letter is easier normally (just one document). No need for any additional documents to prove residency or address.
That's really good. Thank you. I just thought of adding payslips to make sure the Home Office don't have doubts about possible gaps, but if they are not necessary, it's even better!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 pm

My own experience was: 1 letter from my then employer - no issue at all - there's no need to overload the application with unnecessary documents.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:16 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:07 pm
Sorry, I was thinking that the only risk is that the most recent months might not be covered by the P60. The P60 is issued in April, so let's say I apply in September, the P60 might not cover the last six months.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:19 pm

OK, you could use the payslips then, or if you have a council tax bill for 2021/22 you could include that, again just one document.

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:23 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:19 pm
OK, you could use the payslips then, or if you have a council tax bill for 2021/22 you could include that, again just one document.
Perfect, as long as letters are not needed, it's great.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 am

stegio80 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:23 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
It was always a choice between documents, either P60 or Employer Letter or something else, never all of them - you'll be ok.

stegio80

Letter from employers as proof of residence

Post by stegio80 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:04 am

Good morning,
I am a EU citizen. I currently hold settled status in the UK and I am planning to apply for naturalisation.
I'll have to prove my present in the UK for the last 5 years. I have P60s and payslips covering each month for the last five years. I also have council tax bills. However, when I called the Home Office for clarification, one of the operators said that I also need to add a letter from each of my employers in the last five years. I remained in a couple of jobs for a short period of time, and it'd be fairly burdensome to get letters from them. I must say that a second operator didn't want to confirm or not whether the first operator was correct. He just told me to read the guidance, which is not really clear on that. Do I need to add employers' letter or would payslips and P60s suffice? Is one document for each period sufficient, or is it better to add more documents, such as bank statements, utility bills etc on the top of payslips and P60s?
Thank you

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Letter from employers as proof of residence

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 am

P60s for the qualifying period only are enough.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

stegio80

Registered at GP with different address - Is it an issue?

Post by stegio80 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:19 am

Good morning,
I am a EU citizen. I currently hold settled status in the UK and I am planning to apply for naturalisation. I'll have to prove my present in the UK for the last 5 years.
I've been living at my current address for almost 4 years. However, while I use my current address for every purpose, including HMRC, Council, banks, etc, I am still registered at my GP with my old address.
I've never bothered to change it because initially I thought I'd go back to my old address, and then because I was in a situation in which it was difficult to change GP practice.
The NHS and the GP have my previous address basically. Would that cause an issue for my application?

Thank you

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:21 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 am
Thank you. The first operator was quite insistent on the fact that I need the employers' letters, but I am glad she was wrong.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Registered at GP with different address - Is it an issue?

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 am

Irreverent. No issue.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 am

Agree - just P60s on their own are sufficient.

Not sure where that Home Office advice comes from.
Employer letter(s) are sufficient as well - ideal if you worked for the same employer the full period - as was the case when I applied and just submitted one letter. But as you said getting them from more than one employer can be difficult.

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:24 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 am
Agree - just P60s on their own are sufficient.

Not sure where that Home Office advice comes from.
Employer letter(s) are sufficient as well - ideal if you worked for the same employer the full period - as was the case when I applied and just submitted one letter. But as you said getting them from more than one employer can be difficult.
Thank you. Both operators weren't very helpful.

stegio80

Re: Registered at GP with different address - Is it an issue?

Post by stegio80 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:25 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 am
Irreverent. No issue.
Thank you!

stegio80

Letters from former employers - date of issue - help

Post by stegio80 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:53 am

Good morning,
I've just realised that I have a couple of letters issued by my past employers, where they confirm when and how long I worked for them. I requested them because I planned to use them for a new job application.
I think I could attach them to my UK naturalisation application to prove I was in the UK during that period.
However, by the time I apply for UK naturalisation, the letters will be 8-10 months old.
Would that matter? I think it doesn't matter as these letters confirm my employment periods of a while ago (2015-2018). Even if the letters were one year old, they would confirm facts happened well before the letters had been issued. I want to use such letters for my UK naturalisation, to prove I was in the UK between 2015-2018, without asking for new ones and bother my former employers again.
Could you confirm I can use these letters without asking for new ones?
Many thanks for your help.

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:15 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Good morning,
I've just realised that I have a couple of letters issued by my past employers, where they confirm when and how long I worked for them. I requested them because I planned to use them for a new job application.
I think I could attach them to my UK naturalisation application to prove I was in the UK during that period.
However, by the time I apply for UK naturalisation, the letters will be 8-10 months old.
Would that matter? I think it doesn't matter as these letters confirm my employment periods of a while ago (2015-2018). Even if the letters were one year old, they would confirm facts happened well before the letters had been issued. I want to use such letters for my UK naturalisation, to prove I was in the UK between 2015-2018, without asking for new ones and bother my former employers again.
I know about previous answers about P60, but letters would really be ideal so I was wondering if these can be used.

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 am
stegio80 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:23 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
It was always a choice between documents, either P60 or Employer Letter or something else, never all of them - you'll be ok.
Previously I asked information about P60 and payslips but as I have these letters I thought they could be used as well. They would exactly match the Home Office requirements. My doubt is about the date of issue.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Letters from former employers - date of issue - help

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:32 pm

On the face of it the letters should be ok - unfortunately there's no guidance in terms of when they should be issued, but if you think about it, a P60 issued five years ago will still be accepted. And it seems those employers are probably still in business so can easily be traced. I don't believe there will be an issue, it's not something one gets refused about, and UKVI can always ask for further information if they so wish.

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:21 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:32 pm
On the face of it the letters should be ok - unfortunately there's no guidance in terms of when they should be issued, but if you think about it, a P60 issued five years ago will still be accepted. And it seems those employers are probably still in business so can easily be traced. I don't believe there will be an issue, it's not something one gets refused about, and UKVI can always ask for further information if they so wish.
Thank you. Also, I have P60s and all the payslips. Probably letters would have be redundant for all this.

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:30 am

alterhase58 wrote:
I am wondering, as first date of arrival in the UK, what should I put? I visited the UK as a tourist in the 90s, then studied here in 2009-2010 as a tourist, but then left and came back in 2015.
The period that qualifies me for naturalisation starts in 2015. I am pretty sure I should put 2015. A friend of mine, who was in a similar situation, put the date when she moved back to the UK, and was successful in her application for naturalisation.
Other people on the forum seems to give a difference advice. PR guidance indicates that I should put 2015 though so, again, that confirms what I think. Could you confirm?

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:42 am

stegio80 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:30 am
alterhase58 wrote:
I am wondering, as first date of arrival in the UK, what should I put? I visited the UK as a tourist in the 90s, then studied here in 2009-2010 as a tourist, but then left and came back in 2015.
The period that qualifies me for naturalisation starts in 2015. I am pretty sure I should put 2015. A friend of mine, who was in a similar situation, put the date when she moved back to the UK, and was successful in her application for naturalisation.
Other people on the forum seems to give a difference advice. PR guidance indicates that I should put 2015 though so, again, that confirms what I think. Could you confirm?
I meant, in 2009-2010 I was student here, not a tourist.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:04 am

stegio80

Post by stegio80 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:32 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
I've asked you a question about the qualifying period under a different post. What does it happen if a person was abroad at the beginning of the qualifying period? You know, I didn't know about such a rule.
A friend of mine had an issue about it, which I could not understand before you mentioning it.
He had been in the UK for more than ten years but at the beginning of the qualifying period (date of application minus 5 years), he was abroad for holidays, and he received an email from the Home Office when he had submitted his application for naturalisation. I mean, they see he's been in the UK for more than ten years anyway. Thank you