ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Key worker housing. Public funds.

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

surfsumi
Mood:

Key worker housing. Public funds.

Post by surfsumi » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:07 pm

Hi,
I work for NHS & I've been offered a flat ( rent) under key- worker housing scheme in a London borough. The rent is 80% current market rent, still have to pay CT & all the bills. I have ILR but spouse and elder child on visa ( 10 years next year). My younger child is BC.
I had to supply all the documents ( passport, visa, birth certificates, etc) for verification before they informed me that I'm qualified. Even on the council's website, it says you have to have a visa valid for 1 year with other requirements.
But I thought to check with the expert panel if there is any risk in accepting this offer.
Could this be classified as a public fund ?

thanks.
S
SURESH

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Key worker housing. Public funds.

Post by manci » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:56 pm

surfsumi wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:07 pm
I work for NHS & I've been offered a flat ( rent) under key- worker housing scheme in a London borough. The rent is 80% current market rent, still have to pay CT & all the bills.
Could this be classified as a public fund ?
I don't believe so, this is a benefit which will be part of the remuneration package in your employment contract. See the full list of public funds here (in the Interpretation section):
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... troduction

a more user friendly document is this:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf

In case you are wondering about Housing Benefit, it has now been replaced by universal Credit
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Key worker housing. Public funds.

Post by JB007 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:44 am

Make sure any social housing tenancy is only in your name only, but that your No Recourse to Public Funds spouse has permission to live there.
manci wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:56 pm
In case you are wondering about Housing Benefit, it has now been replaced by universal Credit
Unlike Housing Benefit, the replacement benefit; Universal Credit; requires both parents to work.

If you are already claiming any of the benefits that Universal Credit will replace, ask Citizens Advice to carry out a benefit check first as you may receive less benefit money under Universal Credit. However if you will be renting in a different area and want benefits to help with your rent/can get benefit help with your rent, it appears you won't have any choice and will have to go onto Universal Credit.