ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Germany while working remotely UK firm under a Tier 2 visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Anyelib
Newly Registered
United States of America

Moving to Germany while working remotely UK firm under a Tier 2 visa

Post by Anyelib » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm an USA citizen working for a UK firm on a Tier 2 visa and would like to relocate permanently to Germany while working remotely for my current UK employer, It goes without saying, my employer is supporting me 100% with this decision and has done their fair amount of research. I must point out though, my employer is not willing to switch to a consulting contract as I'm in charge in making decision on their behalf. My current employer is also not registered in EU and is not planning to do so.

Up to date, they have spoken to Home office UK which has concluded that I can't move to Germany under my Tier 2 visa, which is understandable and expected. I don't expect to retain the Tier 2 visa and understand that I will need to switch to another visa that would allow me to live in Germany instead.

They have also asked xxx for taxation advise but they do not want to get involved until there is a clear path to the immigration portion of the equation. Having said this, I have reached out to an immigration Solicitors who has stated that this is a common and straightforward process but they will not be able to assist as this is a finance query rather than immigration.

Taking the above into considerations, Is there any way I can move to Germany, be employed by my UK firm and avoid double taxation between UK and Germany? If so, would appreciate some guidance on the type of German visa I would need, potential tax liability and rules I would be subject to (forms etc), and employee contract changes required (excluding consulting)?

I would highly appreciate your input.

Kind regards.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Moving to Germany while working remotely UK firm under a Tier 2 visa

Post by ALKB » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:54 am

Anyelib wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 pm
Hello everyone!

I'm an USA citizen working for a UK firm on a Tier 2 visa and would like to relocate permanently to Germany while working remotely for my current UK employer, It goes without saying, my employer is supporting me 100% with this decision and has done their fair amount of research. I must point out though, my employer is not willing to switch to a consulting contract as I'm in charge in making decision on their behalf. My current employer is also not registered in EU and is not planning to do so.

Up to date, they have spoken to Home office UK which has concluded that I can't move to Germany under my Tier 2 visa, which is understandable and expected. I don't expect to retain the Tier 2 visa and understand that I will need to switch to another visa that would allow me to live in Germany instead.

They have also asked xxx for taxation advise but they do not want to get involved until there is a clear path to the immigration portion of the equation. Having said this, I have reached out to an immigration Solicitors who has stated that this is a common and straightforward process but they will not be able to assist as this is a finance query rather than immigration.

Taking the above into considerations, Is there any way I can move to Germany, be employed by my UK firm and avoid double taxation between UK and Germany? If so, would appreciate some guidance on the type of German visa I would need, potential tax liability and rules I would be subject to (forms etc), and employee contract changes required (excluding consulting)?

I would highly appreciate your input.

Kind regards.
I am not aware of any visa that would allow you to do what you are planning to do.

If the immigration solicitor (in the UK or Germany?) says this is common and straightforward, then I highly recommend getting their services for the visa application.

As I see it, the taxation/social contributions bit would be doable if you had work authorisation in Germany in the first place. I do not see which visa with work authorisation you would qualify for in this scenario, though.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Anyelib
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Moving to Germany while working remotely UK firm under a Tier 2 visa

Post by Anyelib » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:38 pm

Thank you for your reply!