ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Side income on Stamp 1

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

stbigo
Newly Registered
Armenia

Side income on Stamp 1

Post by stbigo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:00 pm

i have stamp 1 critical skills work permit but i also have some additional income from the books and side projects i have had before moving to ireland

i know that i cannot work for any other companies but i currently get the extra income into my irish bank account. is this against the rules of stamp 1 crit skills work permit? do you have any suggestions?

thanks

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Side income on Stamp 1

Post by Vorona » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:09 pm

No, it's not against the rules. Your Irish bank account can be used to receive money from any sources, not only from your employer.

Another concern is that this income can be investigated by Revenue (all banks in EU periodically report this to the local tax authorities) and this may come back to you in the future. This is not an immigration query. You need to declare any extra income to the Revenue.

stbigo
Newly Registered
Armenia

Post by stbigo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Vorona wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:09 pm
No, it's not against the rules. Your Irish bank account can be used to received money from any sources, not only from your employer.

Another concern is that this income can be investigated by Revenue (all banks in EU periodically report this to the local tax authorities) and this may come back to you in the future. This is not an immigration query. You need to declare any extra income to the Revenue.
thanks. i'm going to to pay the extra income tax anyways, so my question was more about that critical skills work permit rules. i think a critical skills permit only allows me to work for one company (although my extra income is from the sales of books/articles i wrote for a US company)

do you think this is going to cause any confusions in the future? like for my citizenship application after 5 yrs

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:23 pm

Your Irish work permission does not restrict you from working for any company outside of Ireland. If you receive money from any foreign company, you're not breaking the conditions of your Irish work permission.

No I don't think so. Unless you end up on the list of tax defaulters there will be no issue.

stbigo
Newly Registered
Armenia

Post by stbigo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:48 pm

Vorona wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:23 pm
Your Irish work permission does not restrict you from working for any company outside of Ireland. If you receive money from any foreign company, you're not breaking the conditions of your Irish work permission.

No I don't think so. Unless you end up on the list of tax defaulters there will be no issue.
thank you so much.

quick question about the periodic tax investigation that you mentioned earlier: do you have any idea how it works and how far do they go back when they want to investigate that (e.g. a year, two years)?

i noticed that revenue publishes the list of defaulters these days but looks like they only investigate the account for the last year, 2020

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:56 pm

stbigo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:48 pm
quick question about the periodic tax investigation that you mentioned earlier: do you have any idea how it works and how far do they go back when they want to investigate that (e.g. a year, two years)?
When you open a bank account anywhere in the EU, you need to provide tax and residence details. Banks are under obligation to report anything that they suspect to be money laundering, tax avoiding etc. At least 10 years I believe, you need to check that yourself. Not an immigration issue.

stbigo
Newly Registered
Armenia

Post by stbigo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:59 am

Vorona wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:56 pm
stbigo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:48 pm
When you open a bank account anywhere in the EU, you need to provide tax and residence details. Banks are under obligation to report anything that they suspect to be money laundering, tax avoiding etc. At least 10 years I believe, you need to check that yourself. Not an immigration issue.
thank you!! very very helpful

do you know who will end up in the list of tax defaulters? i mean can a minor tax offense also affect the citizenship application? say when you owe 5k tax or less. sorry to hijack the conversation

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:58 am

stbigo wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:59 am
do you know who will end up in the list of tax defaulters? i mean can a minor tax offense also affect the citizenship application? say when you owe 5k tax or less. sorry to hijack the conversation
People who we reported will end up on the list. Any offence can make an impact.