ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

child benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

yaseengani

child benefit

Post by yaseengani » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:12 pm

Hi
I got my British nationality in September 2019 and started claiming my child benefit (who is on Tier 2 dependent Visa)from November 2019. I am now applying for her ILR. Will this have impact on her application?
Any lead or advice would be welcome.
Thanks
regard
Yas

vinny

Re: child benefit

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 pm

Should be okay to claim.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

yaseengani

Post by yaseengani » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi
My immigration advisor today said that to her knowledge she thinks only British children qualify for child benefits and asked me what grounds did I think, I qualified for it. I am quite confused now ! Could she be wrong here ?
thanks
regards
Yas

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm

She is wrong.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

yaseengani

Post by yaseengani » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:17 pm

Thank u.
I called up the HMRC and he said that when we have approved your entitlement to child benefit after verifying all your documents, how does it matter what your solicitor says as , "I work for the HMRC". More over, I remember now that I sent all the original copies of passport, biometric and birth certificate to child benefit office. I have just followed the guidelines as laid by HMRC and been honest .
This has put my mind to rest.
Thank you again for the firm " she is wrong" :D

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:47 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm
She is wrong.
It's strange that even the Citizen advice bureau are giving wrong advice on child benefit

You can usually claim benefits included in public funds for your child if they’re subject to immigration control for benefits and services, but you’re not.

This doesn't apply to:

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
the child and childcare costs elements of Universal Credit
Child Benefit – if ‘no public funds’ is a condition of your child’s stay

posting.php?f=38&mode=quote&p=2005299&s ... b2bca0eeb3

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:00 am

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:07 am

yaseengani wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:17 pm
Thank u.
I called up the HMRC and he said that when we have approved your entitlement to child benefit after verifying all your documents, how does it matter what your solicitor says as , "I work for the HMRC". More over, I remember now that I sent all the original copies of passport, biometric and birth certificate to child benefit office. I have just followed the guidelines as laid by HMRC and been honest .
This has put my mind to rest.
Thank you again for the firm " she is wrong" :D
"You won’t be told if a benefit or service is included in public funds when you apply, so it’s important to check for yourself."
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immig ... n-control/

yaseengani

Post by yaseengani » Mon May 03, 2021 11:22 am

Hi
My daughter's visa does say "no public funds" but as I am British citizen and when enquired was said I can avail the benefit, so I applied for it as I have the rights to have access to public fund for my dependent. As part of the process I submitted my daughter's biometric card, passport, birth certificate as well. I also got the advice & information across this forum that it should not affect my daughter's application. Now I am very confused though I do have an immigration adviser as well who said that shouldn't be a problem but again she was not sure. Why are these immigration process never easy or straight forward !!

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Mon May 03, 2021 7:17 pm

yaseengani wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:22 am
Hi
My daughter's visa does say "no public funds" but as I am British citizen and when enquired was said I can avail the benefit, so I applied for it as I have the rights to have access to public fund for my dependent. As part of the process I submitted my daughter's biometric card, passport, birth certificate as well. I also got the advice & information across this forum that it should not affect my daughter's application. Now I am very confused though I do have an immigration adviser as well who said that shouldn't be a problem but again she was not sure. Why are these immigration process never easy or straight forward !!
I think they( HMRC, DWP, Home office) have left guidance about certain public funds unclear and vague intentionally to discourage people to claim benefit even if they are entitled to it because of fear of its impact on future immigration application of their dependents . You can apply this and that however..you can apply this and that but seek immigration advice but immigration advisors have no clue either and have to search on internet for same vague information which we already have lol Read this https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1217499
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... _child_tax