ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Tier 4 Visa - How to bring spouse?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

TropVibes
Newly Registered
United States of America

UK Tier 4 Visa - How to bring spouse?

Post by TropVibes » Wed May 05, 2021 3:02 am

Hi! My significant other is a full-time, undergraduate student in the U.K. at a licensed sponsor institution with a Tier 4 student visa (she is not a British citizen). If we are married in the U.S. (I am American), would I be eligible to apply as a dependent and transfer to the U.K., assuming we'll have a marriage certificate? I'll have enough funds to support myself while I look for work.

Just not sure if there are more hurdles to overcome. Please let me know, thanks!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: UK Tier 4 Visa - How to bring spouse?

Post by sah10406 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:05 am

TropVibes wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:02 am
If we are married in the U.S. (I am American), would I be eligible to apply as a dependent and transfer to the U.K., assuming we'll have a marriage certificate?
If she has a Student visa, no. Only postgraduate students can bring a dependants on a Student visa. The only exception is if her studies are fully funded by a government, which I assume they are not.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

TropVibes
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by TropVibes » Wed May 05, 2021 11:03 am

So the statement from the U.K. student visa webpage, "A new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than 6 months" is the same as saying that her course needs to be fully funded by the government? I was under the impression that her university just needs to be a licensed sponsor.

https://www.gov.uk/student-visa/family-members

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:23 pm

TropVibes wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:03 am
So the statement from the U.K. student visa webpage, "A new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than 6 months" is the same as saying that her course needs to be fully funded by the government?
Not necessarily fully funded. They are summarising paragraph ST 31.1 of Appendix Student, the part of the immigration rules that explains which Students can bring dependants. It includes:

(a) a Student who has received an award from a Government and has, or is applying for, permission to study on a full-time course of 6 months or longer; or
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

TropVibes
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by TropVibes » Wed May 05, 2021 7:17 pm

Okay, but ST 31.1 also has the following as an option:

"(d) a Student who has, or had within the last 3 months before the date of application, permission to study on a full-time course of 6 months or longer, and is now applying for permission to study a full-time course of 6 months or longer where either:
(i) the partner or child already has, or had within the last 3 months before the date of application, permission as a dependent partner or dependent child of the Student; or"

I don't understand why she would need to apply for permission to study full-time if she already has a valid Tier 4 student visa and residence permit. What kind of permission do I need to already have and from whom in order to be a dependent partner (highlighted text)?

Can anyone make sense of this for me, please? Really confusing.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:28 pm

That doesn't relate to your situation, or to many people at all.

ST 31.1 (d) is a sort of grandfather clause for people who don't meet (a), (b) or (c) but whose dependant is already in the UK under old rules, so it would be unreasonable to prevent them from extending their stay.

Undergraduates can't bring dependants, except the very few who meet ST 31.1 (a).

Zenzo_1
Newly Registered
Mood:
Zimbabwe

Post by Zenzo_1 » Fri May 21, 2021 12:34 pm

Hello all,

Please help me understand - I want to apply for a Tier 4 visa to do a PhD and bring my wife plus our 2 month old and 6month old. When I check the section of the Student Visa guidance on the government website it says:

"Your partner and child must each have a certain amount of money available to them. This is in addition to the money you must have to support yourself.

How much money they need depends on where you will be studying. They must have either:

£845 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London
£680 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London" source (https://www.gov.uk/student-visa/family-members)

My question is - does this mean that e.g. I need to have GBP845.00 per month for each of my 3 dependents for 9 months?

Please help with any guidance or direction. Thank you

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:10 pm

Zenzo_1 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:34 pm
does this mean that e.g. I need to have GBP845.00 per month for each of my 3 dependents for 9 months?
Yes.

Zenzo_1
Newly Registered
Mood:
Zimbabwe

Post by Zenzo_1 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:28 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:10 pm
Zenzo_1 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:34 pm
does this mean that e.g. I need to have GBP845.00 per month for each of my 3 dependents for 9 months?
Yes.
Thank you for the response. Just to be sure - this means GBP845 x 3 = GBP2,535.00 per month for 9 months?