ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application for minor born abroad

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mgm
Newly Registered

Citizenship application for minor born abroad

Post by mgm » Thu May 06, 2021 2:30 pm

Hello,

I am from India currently on Stamp 4, my son was born in India has spent 5 years in Ireland, I want to apply citizenship for him but don't know which form to fill in,
Form 9 is for Naturalized parents and
Form 11 is for non Naturalized parents with children's born in Ireland,

I am wondering has anyone else applied for the children's born abroad and parents are not Naturalized yet
Please guide me if you have gone through the route or have any information

Thanks in advance,
MG

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Citizenship application for minor born abroad

Post by littlerr » Thu May 06, 2021 5:21 pm

Minors born abroad cannot be naturalised on their own basis, unless they were born to parents with Irish descent or to naturalised Irish citizen who were not Irish at the time of the birth.

The Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956 sets out who is eligible for naturalisation. A child can be naturalised only if:
- The child was born in Ireland after 1 January 2005 and did not qualify for citizenship by birth
- The child is of Irish descent or Irish associations
- The parent of the child is a citizen by naturalisation

You must become an Irish citizen first before you can apply for your child's naturalisation.