ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK fiance visa for opposite sex proposed civil partnerhsip

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

martin_y
Newly Registered

UK fiance visa for opposite sex proposed civil partnerhsip

Post by martin_y » Sat May 08, 2021 10:59 am

Hi All

Did anyone here get a UK visa for this scenario? (intention to enter into an opposite sex civil partnerhsip) ?

From what I have read, here in the UK a "civil partnership" with opposite sex couple, has the same standing legally as a marriage.
In the VISA section on UK gov websites, nearly every place where there is "marriage", the sentence includes "marriage or civil partnership". And nearly everywhere "fiance" is mentioned, it includes "proposed civil partner".

Now my agent seems to think I can only marry my partner, or try as "unmarried " partner ( where we likely have to say we have lived together 2 years, blah blah).

But surely an opposite sex couple, with a proposed civil partnership (like fiance), wouldnt have any trouble?

Thanks!

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Re: UK fiance visa for opposite sex proposed civil partnerhsip

Post by TODMATT » Sat May 08, 2021 11:17 am

martin_y wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:59 am
Hi All

Did anyone here get a UK visa for this scenario? (intention to enter into an opposite sex civil partnerhsip) ?

From what I have read, here in the UK a "civil partnership" with opposite sex couple, has the same standing legally as a marriage.
In the VISA section on UK gov websites, nearly every place where there is "marriage", the sentence includes "marriage or civil partnership". And nearly everywhere "fiance" is mentioned, it includes "proposed civil partner".

Now my agent seems to think I can only marry my partner, or try as "unmarried " partner ( where we likely have to say we have lived together 2 years, blah blah).

But surely an opposite sex couple, with a proposed civil partnership (like fiance), wouldnt have any trouble?

Thanks!
GEN 1.2.
Definitions
GEN.1.2. For the purposes of this Appendix “partner” means-

(i) the applicant’s spouse;
(ii) the applicant’s civil partner;
(iii) the applicant’s fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner; or
(iv) a person who has been living together with the applicant in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least two years prior to the date of application, unless a different meaning of partner applies elsewhere in this Appendix.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

martin_y
Newly Registered

Post by martin_y » Sat May 08, 2021 11:23 am

Thank you TODMATT

I hope someone will post that was actually successful with this :-)

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Sat May 08, 2021 11:38 am

martin_y wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:23 am
Thank you TODMATT

I hope someone will post that was actually successful with this :-)
Unmarried partners requirement is different to that of civil partnership so not sure what your agent is saying

Read page 5 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 1.0ext.pdf
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

martin_y
Newly Registered

Post by martin_y » Sat May 08, 2021 4:08 pm

Perfect ! Thank you!!!!! :o

martin_y
Newly Registered

Post by martin_y » Sat May 15, 2021 7:47 am

Just an update on this.
I spoke to the agent on the phone and finally she agreed that a "civil partnership" qualifies the same as marriage and therefore a "proposed civil partner" is the same as fiance , so we will apply for the "fiance" style visa, but enter into a civil partnership when my partner arrives in the UK