ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Settlement - Can I apply for pre-settled status twice?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

qzq
Newly Registered
India

EU Settlement - Can I apply for pre-settled status twice?

Post by qzq » Sun May 09, 2021 12:09 pm

Hello,

I arrived in the UK on Oct-2019 and then I applied for Pre-settled status. I got my pre-settled status which is valid till January-2025.

I traveled abroad on 1-Nov-2020 and I was having a return ticket on 23-April-2021. However, in April 2021, I got infected with the Covid-19 and post covid weakness due to which I could not travel back to the UK within 6 months. This has caused a gap in my continuous period.

My question is can I re-apply for Pre-settled status as the deadline to apply for pre-settled status is 30-June-2021 ?

kamoe

Re: EU Settlement - Can I apply for pre-settled status twice?

Post by kamoe » Sun May 09, 2021 2:12 pm

qzq wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:09 pm
My question is can I re-apply for Pre-settled status as the deadline to apply for pre-settled status is 30-June-2021 ?
Anyone can apply for Pre-Settled status as many times as they want.

Now, actually getting the status is a different matter. Concerning applications of people who broke their continuous residence via an absence longer than six months, and therefore now rely on a continuous residence period that starts after January 1st 2021, the outcome depends on wether you are the main EU sponsor, or their non-EU family member:
  • If you are the EU sponsor, it's usually game over; you can stay in the UK until your Pre-Settled Status runs out, but you cannot extend it under the EU Settlement Scheme. (However, that infographic does inform that absences related to COVID-19 are reported to be considered among the allowed exceptions by the Home Office).
  • If you are the non-EU family member, if your EU sponsor has not broken their qualifying period, you can come back as a "joining family member", effectively restarting your clock to zero. You will be able to re-obtain Pre-Settled Status, but your past residence before you absence will be wiped off when counting time towards Settled Status.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.