ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need to travel after applying for Irish Citizenship by naturalization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Athlon77
Newly Registered
Mood:
Israel

Need to travel after applying for Irish Citizenship by naturalization

Post by Athlon77 » Sun May 09, 2021 7:37 pm

Hi dear experts,
I am eligible to apply for Irish citizenship through naturalization from 25 of May this year.
However, I have to travel abroad for family reasons from early June (2 weeks roughly after my application).
I understand that if i submit my passport at 25th of June to get it back in 2 weeks- the chances are slim to not existent. My question is- can i submit certified copies of the passports, and once i come back to Ireland after my trip to add the originals to my application? The other option is to delay my applications until i return but than i might loose the last year continues residency condition (due to covid my trip is going to be longer than 42 days combines we some other trip i had last year).
Anyone can advise?
Thanks, your help is appreciated.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Need to travel after applying for Irish Citizenship by naturalization

Post by littlerr » Sun May 09, 2021 8:03 pm

Certified copies are not accepted for citizenship purposes.

Athlon77
Newly Registered
Mood:
Israel

Post by Athlon77 » Sun May 09, 2021 8:10 pm

Thanks for your reply, so what would be the right course of action in my situation?
Also, how do you know that the certified copies are not accepted? I heard advise from one immigration solicitor that it is possible in some circumstances to defer the submission of originals after you come back from your trip.

irishman003
Ireland

Post by irishman003 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:34 pm

Athlon77 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:10 pm
Thanks for your reply, so what would be the right course of action in my situation?
Also, how do you know that the certified copies are not accepted? I heard advise from one immigration solicitor that it is possible in some circumstances to defer the submission of originals after you come back from your trip.
Original document is one of the requirement listed on the webiste.

Of course, I suppose they have measures for people who have emergencies, so you need to contact them to get an official response to see how they can 'help' you.

irishman003
Ireland

Post by irishman003 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:37 pm

Athlon77 wrote:
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/t ... sport.html

Below I excerpted from this website:

If you urgently need a passport to travel (because of the death or serious illness of a family member, or you need urgent medical treatment abroad), you should contact the Passport Service by webchat.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun May 09, 2021 10:18 pm

irishman003 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:37 pm
Athlon77 wrote:
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/t ... sport.html

Below I excerpted from this website:

If you urgently need a passport to travel (because of the death or serious illness of a family member, or you need urgent medical treatment abroad), you should contact the Passport Service by webchat.
You got this from the DFA Passport services page. The OP is not an Irish citizen.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun May 09, 2021 10:20 pm

Athlon77 wrote:
It’s a black and white rule. You MUST submit your original passport as part of the application. There are many people who have to leave their passports with the department for more than half a year now. There is no exception to that whatsoever.

Athlon77
Newly Registered
Mood:
Israel

Post by Athlon77 » Mon May 10, 2021 12:56 pm

Hi, thanks for the answer. Do u have any experience if I submit a documents, can I ask after a week or 2 my passports back if I need an urgent travel?
Thanks

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon May 10, 2021 3:30 pm

Unless you are going away for like 3 months, you should just wait till you come back. You will not have your passport back for months.

Below is just for reference. I haven't heard of anyone who managed to get their passport back for months now.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/emergen ... ts-update/

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon May 10, 2021 3:51 pm

No point in applying and then asking for your passport to be returned shortly afterwards.
Passports must be verified for authenticity during initial stage. This process cannot be performed from home due to data protection and technical aspects of verification process. Even if you request and get it back soon, your application may be put on hold until you return and you may be asked to send your passport again.

You are creating unnecessary hassle. If your trip is unavoidable and important, apply after you come back. Otherwise, send the application and forget about your passport for a good few months.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon May 10, 2021 4:05 pm

Especially considering that you've already had long absences from Ireland in the previous years, this may indicate that you don't have the intention to live here and you may be asked to provide additional documents while you're away.