ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working in Germany with French Titre de sejour

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Cchapman
Newly Registered
France

Working in Germany with French Titre de sejour

Post by Cchapman » Mon May 10, 2021 7:38 pm

Hello everyone! I'm a US citizen living in France, I have a French titre de séjour. I have been offered a 4 month long contract in Germany and I am wondering if I am allowed to work in Germany with my titre de séjour ? The company that is offering me the job is very small and I do not think they will be willing to sponsor me for a German visa, and I don't want to move there long term any way, just do the short contract and then come back to France. I also heard a rumor about only being allowed to be outside of France for a maximum of 3 months with the Titre de séjour, does anyone know about this or know where I could find more info? Thanks very much for your help!

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Working in Germany with French Titre de sejour

Post by ALKB » Mon May 10, 2021 8:57 pm

Cchapman wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:38 pm
Hello everyone! I'm a US citizen living in France, I have a French titre de séjour. I have been offered a 4 month long contract in Germany and I am wondering if I am allowed to work in Germany with my titre de séjour ? The company that is offering me the job is very small and I do not think they will be willing to sponsor me for a German visa, and I don't want to move there long term any way, just do the short contract and then come back to France. I also heard a rumor about only being allowed to be outside of France for a maximum of 3 months with the Titre de séjour, does anyone know about this or know where I could find more info? Thanks very much for your help!
The short answer is: a French residence permit does not allow you to reside and/or work in any other country besides France.

The long answer is: we need more information.

What kind of titre de séjour do you have and how long have you lived in France?

Will you move to Germany for this short contract or would you commute across the border?

Will you be employed or do you have your own business in France and will be contracting/freelancing in Germany?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Working in Germany with French Titre de sejour

Post by ALKB » Mon May 10, 2021 9:14 pm

Cchapman wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:38 pm
I also heard a rumor about only being allowed to be outside of France for a maximum of 3 months with the Titre de séjour, does anyone know about this or know where I could find more info? Thanks very much for your help!
I don't know after how much time outside France a titre de séjour lapses, in Germany it's 6 consecutive months if no precautions are taken.

Any Schengen state residence permit allows the holder to visit other Schengen countries (plus possibly a few more, Switzerland was on that list before they joined Schengen, for instance) for up to 90 days for touristic purposes. For you as an American this is not very different from just visiting on the strength of your US passport, but for other visa nationals who hold a residence permit, this is a huge plus.

But this is a rule about how long you can stay in other EU countries and not about how long you can stay out of France.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.