ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I did it

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

EvanEdinger
Newly Registered

Private Citizenship Ceremony Rules on Cameras

Post by EvanEdinger » Mon May 10, 2021 9:42 am

Hi all,

so I got my citizenship acceptance letter in December and I've got under a month left till it expires and is sent back to the home office. I'm going to attempt to call them today to get a possible extension. I've got a question for the esteemed members of this forum:

My borough (Hounslow) has told me I am allowed to pay the full £250 that would normally entitle one to a private ceremony with 30 guests and I can have one with up to 2 members of my household due to covid. I was mostly going to compromise getting the full ceremony I was hoping for post-covid but then I was told in an email that cameras are not allowed to film.... except mobile phone cameras??? Which is quite a bizarre, petty rule. I was going to be filming my private ceremony for my own use and memory and having an arbitrary rule about the type of camera that can be involved has so severely dampered the experience for me yet again. I'm wondering if there is some practical reason for this separation and whether or not I can... shell out more money for the right to film my own private ceremony? I'll be asking this to the home office today as well as for a hopeful extension of time for when possibly restrictions are lifted slightly.

EvanEdinger
Newly Registered

Re: Private Citizenship Ceremony Rules on Cameras

Post by EvanEdinger » Mon May 10, 2021 11:09 am

As an update, I contacted the Hounslow Film Office and was told I can apply for a permit to film, but that I should also inform the council's citizenship team of my plans so I politely did with the request to pay for a permit to bring a camera to my private ceremony. We shall see what they say

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 10, 2021 11:27 am

That is likely not a general rule affecting the video recording of all private ceremonies, but one appertaining specifically to Hounslow.

While the form of the ceremony is fairly standard, the rules about who can attend, the rules around photography and filming, etc, are down to the local council.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon May 10, 2021 11:30 am

It may be due to the fact that an official photographer will be taking individual photos of the attendees receiving their Citizenship certificate.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

EvanEdinger
Newly Registered

Post by EvanEdinger » Mon May 10, 2021 12:07 pm

Casa wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:30 am
It may be due to the fact that an official photographer will be taking individual photos of the attendees receiving their Citizenship certificate.
Actually quite the opposite. I was informed that there will be no photographer there so when I replied saying that's fine cause I have my own camera she said only phones were allowed :|

EvanEdinger
Newly Registered

Post by EvanEdinger » Mon May 10, 2021 12:12 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:27 am
That is likely not a general rule affecting the video recording of all private ceremonies, but one appertaining specifically to Hounslow.

While the form of the ceremony is fairly standard, the rules about who can attend, the rules around photography and filming, etc, are down to the local council.
Ah that makes sense. And the process of getting my certificate sent to a more capable borough is very convoluted so I've heard. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make this happen and get my private ceremony filmed in any way, but the whole thing has racked my anxiety to bits. Really was hoping this to be such a nice memory not one tarnished as such.

I have done the research on other boroughs and have found quite a few that sensibly allow one to bring a camera. Very tempted to buy one of those tiny new 4k 360 cameras and tape it to my housemates phone to get SOMETHING good but.... sigh

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Moving the ceremony to another council can take months, as the certificate will be sent by Hounslow to the Home Office, likely fall down the back of a filing cabinet and then will be sent to the new council, who will have its own waiting list, etc to manage before having your citizenship ceremony.

There may be simpler thinks that I suggest you try first.

a) get your local councillors involved.
b) Whom are you dealing with in the email chain? Try to ask for an escalation to the Registrar or the head of the the department (politely of course, in as British a manner as you can). Point out that there is no risk to anybody in bringing in a camera (I presume that you mean to bring in a hand-held camcorder, not an industrial video camera with tri-pods, lighting, the works). Play on the fact that as your family can't be here, you want to send across as clear a recording of the event as possible,on what is obviously a momentous day in your life (you could point out that the Registrar's office deals with monumental events in people's lives - births, deaths, marriages and citizenship ceremonies and you'd want to have memories of the last two).

I could be wrong, but the size and quality of the camera to be brought in for a citizenship ceremony is such a minor, inconsequential point that I can't imagine it would not be overturned at a higher level, compared to whoever you are corresponding with at the moment.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

EvanEdinger
Newly Registered

I did it

Post by EvanEdinger » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:54 pm

Hello immigrationboards members!

You've been an absolute godsend for help and information to me while I was navigating the journey to British citizenship. So I basically just wanted to say thank you.

At long last I finally achieved British citizenship and I made a YouTube weblink removed full length video of my journey. (If against the rules, mods feel free to delete!) I was just real proud and hoping it'd inspire others still on this path. x

secret.simon

Re: I did it

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:44 pm

Congratulations and welcome onboard as a British citizen.

Yes, the journey is difficult, but the reward is great at the end for those of us who have fallen in love with our adopted country.

curious_sam
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by curious_sam » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:00 pm

EvanEdinger wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:42 am
Hi all,

so I got my citizenship acceptance letter in December and I've got under a month left till it expires and is sent back to the home office. I'm going to attempt to call them today to get a possible extension. I've got a question for the esteemed members of this forum:

My borough (Hounslow) has told me I am allowed to pay the full £250 that would normally entitle one to a private ceremony with 30 guests and I can have one with up to 2 members of my household due to covid. I was mostly going to compromise getting the full ceremony I was hoping for post-covid but then I was told in an email that cameras are not allowed to film.... except mobile phone cameras??? Which is quite a bizarre, petty rule. I was going to be filming my private ceremony for my own use and memory and having an arbitrary rule about the type of camera that can be involved has so severely dampered the experience for me yet again. I'm wondering if there is some practical reason for this separation and whether or not I can... shell out more money for the right to film my own private ceremony? I'll be asking this to the home office today as well as for a hopeful extension of time for when possibly restrictions are lifted slightly.
didn't know you visited this forum and just saw your video about this yesterday !

Congratulations !