ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First time passport application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

polarcub
Mood:
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by polarcub » Wed May 12, 2021 2:03 pm

Has anyone sent in a certified copy of their passport (and faced no issues) instead of sending their actual passport with their application?

And how do you get it officially certified - is that getting it signed/stamped by a notary or solicitor?

polarcub
Mood:
Ireland

Post by polarcub » Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm

What are all the extra documentation required for submission a first time applicant?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed May 12, 2021 3:27 pm

Lots of people send in certified copies. Yes you need them to be certified by a solicitor/notary public.

Once the backlog is cleared, it should just take 3-4 weeks or so to process a first time application. You can save the money as long as you don't have travel plans for that period of time.

Documents required are available when you create your application online. It will tell you exactly what you need, but in a nutshell you need:
- Original birth certificate
- Original/certified foreign passport if you were not born Irish
- Proof of entitlement (original FBR/naturalisation certificate) if you were not born Irish
- Recent proof of address (Government correspondences, utility bills, bank statements etc)
- Proof of name (same as above - just need a different one)
- Copy of Public Service Card
- Get a Gardai to witness your application if you live in Republic of Ireland

polarcub
Mood:
Ireland

Post by polarcub » Wed May 12, 2021 3:39 pm

Thanks RE:
1) Original birth certificate
>>In absence of one, will an affidavit do? If so, do they supply a template to fill one out for this?
2)Original/certified foreign passport if you were not born Irish
3) Proof of entitlement (original FBR/naturalisation certificate) if you were not born Irish
4) Recent proof of address (Government correspondences, utility bills, bank statements etc)
>>Does this need to be original? How recent must it be? If it's an online print out bank statement, would it need to be verified?
5) Proof of name (same as above - just need a different one)
6) Copy of Public Service Card -
>> Is this the PPS card? and does it need to be notarized/verified?
7) Get a Gardai to witness your application if you live in Republic of Ireland -
>> Do I need to make an appointment to do this?
littlerr wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:27 pm
Lots of people send in certified copies. Yes you need them to be certified by a solicitor/notary public.

Once the backlog is cleared, it should just take 3-4 weeks or so to process a first time application. You can save the money as long as you don't have travel plans for that period of time.

Documents required are available when you create your application online. It will tell you exactly what you need, but in a nutshell you need:
- Original birth certificate
- Original/certified foreign passport if you were not born Irish
- Proof of entitlement (original FBR/naturalisation certificate) if you were not born Irish
- Recent proof of address (Government correspondences, utility bills, bank statements etc)
- Proof of name (same as above - just need a different one)
- Copy of Public Service Card
- Get a Gardai to witness your application if you live in Republic of Ireland

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed May 12, 2021 4:10 pm

1. Affidavit - if you used an affidavit for your naturalisation application, you should be able to do the same. I think you are required to explain why you are not able to get an original birth certificate.

4. Proof of address - e-statements are fine. Last 3 months. No need to get verified.

6. No. PSC is a physical card that has your name and PPS number on it. You should already have it before you can apply for naturalisation.

7. No. Just walk into your local Garda station.

polarcub
Mood:
Ireland

Post by polarcub » Wed May 12, 2021 8:50 pm

Does the copy of Public Service Card need to be verified/notarized/certified?
littlerr wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:10 pm
1. Affidavit - if you used an affidavit for your naturalisation application, you should be able to do the same. I think you are required to explain why you are not able to get an original birth certificate.

4. Proof of address - e-statements are fine. Last 3 months. No need to get verified.

6. No. PSC is a physical card that has your name and PPS number on it. You should already have it before you can apply for naturalisation.

7. No. Just walk into your local Garda station.

polarcub
Mood:
Ireland

Post by polarcub » Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 pm

By bank statement, are credit card statements issued by banks valid? as those statements are monthly, whereas my bank statements come in once every quarter

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed May 12, 2021 9:34 pm

Yes credit card invoices are fine. You don't need to notarise PSC.

phoenix49
Ireland

Post by phoenix49 » Thu May 13, 2021 11:09 am

My passport application tracking status has changed to "Processing application" since this Monday with estimated issue date for the passport indicated as 31/05/21. How realistic is this given the backlog? :D . My application was created back in Feb, I was wondering if they process applications by the dates received? Anyone else has a similar status?

Winchester
Newly Registered

Post by Winchester » Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 pm

I applied on 06/05 and sent the documentation next day. My application change status to processing 2 days ago with due date to be on 02/06 I hope the tracking is right

galwayireland
Newly Registered
China

Post by galwayireland » Thu May 13, 2021 6:38 pm

From: https://www.dfa.ie/passports/documentary-requirements/

Get a first adult passport -> You are a Naturalised Irish citizen

If you are resident in Ireland, submit your:
  • Full civil birth certificate, (version that includes the name(s) of the parent(s).
    Can I provide the original certificate?
  • Civil marriage certificate if applying in your married name.
  • Naturalisation Certificate.
    Must we provide the original certificate? They will return it with the passport?
  • Proof of address
  • Original of passport from country of birth (if available).
    Do we need to provide our passport? What do they need it for? Or it is not necessary, I see it says (if available). Will they put something on our passport?
  • Copy of your Public Services Card if resident in Ireland.
    Do we need also to provide the physical card?
    • The PSC is the most efficient way for you to verify your identify. This ensures that your application can be processed quickly.
    • If you do not have a Public Services Card, you must submit an original government issued photographic identification such as a driver’s licence or a passport from another country.
    • If you do not have any suitable documents, you will have to arrange an interview with staff at our Passport Office in Dublin or Cork. Contact us to arrange this.
  • Proof of name

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 13, 2021 6:56 pm

All of your questions have already been answered previously.

You must provide the original birth certificate.
You must provide the original naturalisation certificate.
You must provide your passport. Either the original one or a certified copy, unless there are exceptional circumstances (e.g. you are suffering from political repression and do not have a way of obtaining a passport).
The wording is clear. COPY of public service card.

irishman003
Ireland

Post by irishman003 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:06 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:56 pm
All of your questions have already been answered previously.

You must provide the original birth certificate.
You must provide the original naturalisation certificate.
You must provide your passport. Either the original one or a certified copy, unless there are exceptional circumstances (e.g. you are suffering from political repression and do not have a way of obtaining a passport).
The wording is clear. COPY of public service card.
Will they return all the originals to us at the end with the passport, or they will return all after they have checked everything?

Thank you.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 13, 2021 8:00 pm

At the end, although you can request them to be sent back earlier if you have a valid reason.

FlyingMum

Post by FlyingMum » Thu May 13, 2021 9:27 pm

Winchester wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 pm
I applied on 06/05 and sent the documentation next day. My application change status to processing 2 days ago with due date to be on 02/06 I hope the tracking is right
I applied online on 23/12 and send supporting documentation and the end of March. My progress bar is a tiny fraction from the end (if that makes sense?! :lol: ) and I have an estimated due date of 18/5.

I’m hoping that as I haven’t heard anything by now, all paperwork is in order and I’m nearing the end of a looonnng wait!

phoenix49
Ireland

Post by phoenix49 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:04 pm

FlyingMum wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:27 pm
I applied online on 23/12 and send supporting documentation and the end of March. My progress bar is a tiny fraction from the end (if that makes sense?! :lol: ) and I have an estimated due date of 18/5.

I’m hoping that as I haven’t heard anything by now, all paperwork is in order and I’m nearing the end of a looonnng wait!
Hopefully your wait is going to be over soon! :D. Does it still say "processing application" or is something more like "printing the passport book"? Could you please post here once you get your passport, it'll greatly help with the estimation :).

FlyingMum

Post by FlyingMum » Thu May 13, 2021 11:08 pm

phoenix49 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:04 pm
FlyingMum wrote:

Hopefully your wait is going to be over soon! :D. Does it still say "processing application" or is something more like "printing the passport book"? Could you please post here once you get your passport, it'll greatly help with the estimation :).
I certainly will! :D
It still says ‘processing application’ which it has done for 4 weeks - although the bar has been moving steadily every few days. If it changes to another action, I’ll post back on here too.

My son did his application online in March and submitted his documentation the same day as me and his progress bar is about 2/3 along with an estimated due date of 19/5. So it’ll be interesting to see how realistic the estimated issue times actually are.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 14, 2021 12:03 am

The dates are never reliable. They were not remotely near the actual timeframe even before the pandemic. You may get your passport 10 days before the estimated date. You may get it a month after the estimated date. Both happen a lot.

Keep an eye on the status of the application. Once it moves past the generic ‘processing application’ (which should really be called ‘waiting to be processed’!), the rest should just move steadily.

ct101
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by ct101 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:15 pm

Winchester wrote:
Hello! Is your application a renewal or a first time application? I applied via paper application from Canada in March but online applications have now opened to Canadians. I’m conflicted over whether or not I should cancel my paper application and apply online as who knows when paper applications will be processed again!

If anyone could please provide some info on timelines if they’ve applied for a first- time passport that would be greatly appreciated. I really need this passport (like many others!) and just want to pick the quickest option!! Thanks so much everyone.

FlyingMum

Post by FlyingMum » Sat May 15, 2021 3:53 pm

ct101 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:15 pm
Winchester wrote:
Hello! Is your application a renewal or a first time application? I applied via paper application from Canada in March but online applications have now opened to Canadians. I’m conflicted over whether or not I should cancel my paper application and apply online as who knows when paper applications will be processed again!

If anyone could please provide some info on timelines if they’ve applied for a first- time passport that would be greatly appreciated. I really need this passport (like many others!) and just want to pick the quickest option!! Thanks so much everyone.

My son originally sent in a paper application (first time one) with supporting documents in January from the U.K. Everything was sent back in March informing him that Ireland now only accepts online applications and to reapply as a brand new applicant. I suspect you may well find yours is returned too having seen this message on the DofFA site:

“Passport Online is open to all applicants, including children, renewing their passports and those applying for their first passport who are resident in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Europe, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA. If you are resident in a country where Passport Online is not available, please contact your local Irish Embassy or Consulate.”

Hope that helps?

ct101
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by ct101 » Sat May 15, 2021 4:58 pm

FlyingMum wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:53 pm
ct101 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:15 pm
Winchester wrote:

My son originally sent in a paper application (first time one) with supporting documents in January from the U.K. Everything was sent back in March informing him that Ireland now only accepts online applications and to reapply as a brand new applicant. I suspect you may well find yours is returned too having seen this message on the DofFA site:

“Passport Online is open to all applicants, including children, renewing their passports and those applying for their first passport who are resident in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Europe, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA. If you are resident in a country where Passport Online is not available, please contact your local Irish Embassy or Consulate.”

Hope that helps?
Thanks so much for the info! Canada isn't accepting paper applications submitted after May 5 but the Irish embassy here has told me to keep my paper application in the queue as I'm in the final stage. It's just frustrating not knowing how long that final stage could be as it could be months and months!

Taki
Ireland

Post by Taki » Tue May 18, 2021 4:49 pm

FlyingMum wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:08 pm
phoenix49 wrote:
FlyingMum wrote:

It still says ‘processing application’ which it has done for 4 weeks - although the bar has been moving steadily every few days. If it changes to another action, I’ll post back on here too.

My son did his application online in March and submitted his documentation the same day as me and his progress bar is about 2/3 along with an estimated due date of 19/5. So it’ll be interesting to see how realistic the estimated issue times actually are.
Hi FlyingMum,
Have you received your passport? or would you like to share here any update in this regard?

FlyingMum

Post by FlyingMum » Wed May 19, 2021 8:44 am

Taki wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:49 pm
FlyingMum wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:08 pm
phoenix49 wrote:
FlyingMum wrote:

Hi FlyingMum,
Have you received your passport? or would you like to share here any update in this regard?

Just checked this morning.

Yesterday my status was still saying “processing application” but the progress bar was completely full - so I was feeling pretty optimistic.

This morning, the bar has gone BACK to around 3/4 full! :shock: No indication of why.

Estimated issue date was 18/5, and although I’m aware that’s only an approximation, it’s a bit of a frustration to apparently be set back.

phoenix49
Ireland

Post by phoenix49 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:06 pm

FlyingMum wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:44 am

Yesterday my status was still saying “processing application” but the progress bar was completely full - so I was feeling pretty optimistic.

This morning, the bar has gone BACK to around 3/4 full! :shock: No indication of why.

Estimated issue date was 18/5, and although I’m aware that’s only an approximation, it’s a bit of a frustration to apparently be set back.
I read on some other forums, people were receiving their passports around 15 days past the original estimate dates.

Does it still say 18/5 and "Processing application"?

FlyingMum

Post by FlyingMum » Wed May 19, 2021 1:13 pm

phoenix49 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:06 pm
FlyingMum wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:44 am

I read on some other forums, people were receiving their passports around 15 days past the original estimate dates.

Does it still say 18/5 and "Processing application"?
Yes, it still says processing and estimated issue 18/5 :? . I was hoping it might have moved onto printing or checking - but not yet.