ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship certificate- Stuck abroad because of red list

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Citizenship certificate- Stuck abroad because of red list

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Wed May 12, 2021 7:36 pm

Hi,
A friend of mine is stuck abroad because of red list. Last date is 5th June. What can he do about it? Is someone faced similar issue? Thanks

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship certificate- Stuck abroad because of red list

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 12, 2021 7:52 pm

tier1_to_ilr wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:36 pm
Last date is 5th June.
Is that factoring in the 3 months extra grace period that the govt has given to attend naturalisation ceremonies, in addition to the standard 3 month period?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Wed May 12, 2021 8:12 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:52 pm
tier1_to_ilr wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:36 pm
Last date is 5th June.
Is that factoring in the 3 months extra grace period that the govt has given to attend naturalisation ceremonies, in addition to the standard 3 month period?
Yes. 7 months finish on 5th June

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 pm

Sorry I meant 6 months end on 5th June

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu May 13, 2021 10:41 pm

I suspect that he will not be able to do much about it. I presume that the council will return the certificate to the Home Office and that the application will be closed (due to absence from the UK).

India only went into a Covid surge and redlist relatively recently (within the last six weeks?). Why did your friend not return earlier?

The idea of a relaxation of three extra months was to give people stranded abroad time to return. If your friend could have returned earlier, he should have.

He can of course email the usual Home Office email addresses scattered across these forums for further advice.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

uuee6543

Post by uuee6543 » Sat May 15, 2021 9:34 am

I know £1750 is a lot but given all the effort your friend surely had to put into his citizenship application, maybe it’s worth considering it? He can take an indirect flight and quarantine in a hotel for 11 days and then he will make it in time.

Alternatively I’d advise him to travel to an amber country first for 11 days (probably cheaper than £1750) and then he wouldn’t need to quarantine in a hotel but it’s too late for that now probably?