ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:06 pm

neoscarecrue wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:47 pm
Anyone who is far along on the UKM application trail....When did you finally receive your home country passport back after completing biometrics? I've been without my passport since 12/12/2019 (pre-COVID).
I had another 3 months after the biometrics before I was notified of approval. Now I am 8 weeks into waiting since approval for notice that the certificate has been despatched so they can schedule the ceremony.

neoscarecrue
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by neoscarecrue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:08 pm

MickByNameAndNature wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:06 pm
neoscarecrue wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:47 pm
Anyone who is far along on the UKM application trail....When did you finally receive your home country passport back after completing biometrics? I've been without my passport since 12/12/2019 (pre-COVID).
I had another 3 months after the biometrics before I was notified of approval. Now I am 8 weeks into waiting since approval for notice that the certificate has been despatched so they can schedule the ceremony.
Thanks for the reply MickByNameAndNature. Hopefully this process moves along a little faster now that the pandemic is lessening around the world.

Jeda

Post by Jeda » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:39 pm

Hi
I sent my application in June 2020, approved early Feb this year. Passport sent back to me by DHL mid Feb. Now waiting for the ceremony invite which I don't expect to get before June. Such a long process but all good things come to those who wait.

harmdd
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by harmdd » Wed May 05, 2021 10:37 pm

Update on my status, finally got biometrics appointment email notice today. Took about a just over 7 weeks.

Eligibility criteria: UKM
Nationality: United States
Applying from: United States
Method of application: Online

Date of application: 1/9/2021
Date of acknowledgement by UKVI (by email): 1/11/2021
Date of receipt by UKVI (confirmed by postal service): 1/25/2021
Date of email requesting biometrics and date of my reply with availability: 3/15/2021
Date of email from UKVI with biometrics appointment: 5/5/2021
Biometrics scheduled: 5/17/2021

Date of approval: TBD
Notification of Documents being returned: TBD

So I'm hopeful that I'm about 3 months or less to approval per other folks experience. :D

DougScotland
Newly Registered

Post by DougScotland » Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm

Hi I just sent my UKM application and all the original documents along with my current U.S. passport. If your required to have your passport at the bio metric appointment I assume UKVI know that and returns you documents prior to scheduling your biometrics. I’m only a couple of days into the application process and already getting nervous!

cobra2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by cobra2 » Thu May 13, 2021 12:00 am

DougScotland wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm
Hi I just sent my UKM application and all the original documents along with my current U.S. passport. If your required to have your passport at the bio metric appointment I assume UKVI know that and returns you documents prior to scheduling your biometrics. I’m only a couple of days into the application process and already getting nervous!
Hi Doug, you don't actually need your passport for the biometrics, and you definitely won't have it back before the biometrics as you have to finish your biometrics before they approve or deny your application. I sent all my docs before I found this forum unfortunately, but it seems you can take color copies of each page of your passport and send that instead of your actual passport. I sent my documents including actual passport back in November, did my biometrics about a month ago and still haven't heard anything or received my docs back. But you just got to trust in the process and wait.

harmda
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by harmda » Mon May 17, 2021 6:41 pm

A question for those farther in the process, I had my biometrics appointment and there was a lot of confusion at the USICS application support center over the "old barcode" for Citizenship vs. new format for UK Visa. They had to consult 2 supervisors even though I had the letter the Home Office sent to advise them not to turn away applicants with the old barcode. I also didnt have my passport, since the UK has it, so I had a drivers license, Global Entry card and even a certified birth certificate in case I encountered issues. They were hesitant to accept it as ID but eventually did.

That said, after the biometrics, they handed me a form from UK Visa & Immigration with a QR code to scan that takes me to a webpage to "submit my application" along with the stamped biometric receipt from the Application Services Center. I presume this is for UK Visas, and not citizenship applications? Do I have to do anything to notify the home office that my biometrics are taken? Thank you.

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Mon May 17, 2021 6:53 pm

harmda wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:41 pm
I presume this is for UK Visas, and not citizenship applications? Do I have to do anything to notify the home office that my biometrics are taken? Thank you.
You presume correctly. The home office is notified automatically and you don't have to do anything now except to wait.

harmda
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by harmda » Mon May 17, 2021 7:20 pm

Mon May 17, 2021 6:53 pm
harmda wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:41 pm
I presume this is for UK Visas, and not citizenship applications? Do I have to do anything to notify the home office that my biometrics are taken? Thank you.
You presume correctly. The home office is notified automatically and you don't have to do anything now except to wait.
Awesome Mick... thank you for the reassurance! The folks checking me in and biometrics didnt seem to know what to make of the "old barcode". They asked me several times "You dont have more paperwork?" The 2nd supervisor came out and assured them to scan it and just take the biometrics. I'm glad this part is done.

DougScotland
Newly Registered

Post by DougScotland » Wed May 19, 2021 1:19 pm

cobra2 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:00 am
DougScotland wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm
Hi Doug, you don't actually need your passport for the biometrics, and you definitely won't have it back before the biometrics as you have to finish your biometrics before they approve or deny your application. I sent all my docs before I found this forum unfortunately, but it seems you can take color copies of each page of your passport and send that instead of your actual passport. I sent my documents including actual passport back in November, did my biometrics about a month ago and still haven't heard anything or received my docs back. But you just got to trust in the process and wait.
Hi Cobra, thank you for your response. I actually called UKVI to ask about copies of my passport and they advised I was taking a chance of being refused depending on who the examiner was a what they decided. I sent a fed ex prepaid label and parcel pack asked very nicely on my cover letter for my passport to be returned when it was convenient. I’m stressed not having my passport. I’m debating on just going to get a new U.S. passport.

Jeda

Post by Jeda » Wed May 19, 2021 2:02 pm

Hi Doug - your passport will be safe. It's does take awhile for them to send it back to you. Mine took 8 months to come back. They had my mum's UK passport too and all relevant original docs. All arrived back by DHL courier. Just waiting for the ceremony invite. I've been waiting for that since Feb.

Jeda

Post by Jeda » Thu May 20, 2021 8:39 am

Today I received my invitation to the ceremony! Letter came from British Consulate in Australia. So, after a year exactly of starting this process, I will finally be able to apply for my British passport.
Ceremony in about 3 weeks!

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Thu May 20, 2021 1:01 pm

Congratulations Jeda!

Hopefully other countries will start following. I've been waiting for the invitation since February also so maybe mine will come soon.

Jeda

Post by Jeda » Thu May 20, 2021 1:05 pm

Thu May 20, 2021 1:01 pm
Congratulations Jeda!

Hopefully other countries will start following. I've been waiting for the invitation since February also so maybe mine will come soon.
Yes I actually thought about you when I received my notification as you're on the same timescale as me. Which country are you in? Hope you get your invite very soon!

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Thu May 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Jeda wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:05 pm
Yes I actually thought about you when I received my notification as you're on the same timescale as me. Which country are you in? Hope you get your invite very soon!
I'm in the US.

Did the invite come by post or by email?

Jeda

Post by Jeda » Thu May 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Thu May 20, 2021 1:14 pm
Jeda wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:05 pm
I'm in the US.

Did the invite come by post or by email?
It came via email from the British Consulate. I am given the choice of 2 dates in June and can bring 2 guests. I'm to reply tomorrow with my chosen date and names of guests. Finally.... all good things come to those who wait.

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Fri May 21, 2021 12:48 am

It is hearing news like this that makes me check my email all day long even though it would come through on my phone and my watch. Wait, when's the last time I checked the spam folder? Maybe I should do a quick search for ".uk" just in case....

:D

Glad to see you moving along in the journey and happy for you, gives the rest of us hope.

Keep checking back in and updating us until there's nothing left for you to do, though, so that we can live vicariously through you until our turns come. 8)

Jeda

Post by Jeda » Fri May 21, 2021 5:24 am

Fri May 21, 2021 12:48 am
It is hearing news like this that makes me check my email all day long even though it would come through on my phone and my watch. Wait, when's the last time I checked the spam folder? Maybe I should do a quick search for ".uk" just in case....

:D

Glad to see you moving along in the journey and happy for you, gives the rest of us hope.

Keep checking back in and updating us until there's nothing left for you to do, though, so that we can live vicariously through you until our turns come. 8)
Hi Mick

Thanks and will keep updating until it's all over. I'm then going to apply for my UK passport the following week so the journey still continues. It's exactly 1 year to the day that I have my ceremony after lodging my docs online.

So, I've confirmed the date, time and two guests names. That's all for now until the 15th June and will post again after that.

Your time will come ... very soon!

Eligibility Criteria: UKM

Nationality: Australia

Applying from: Australia

Method of application: Online with documents sent via DHL

Payment method: Credit card

Date of application: 15/06/2020

Date funds withdrawn: 15/06/2020

Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: 16/06/2020

Date documents sent: DHL 16/06/2020

Date of receipt by UKVI: (confirmation from DHL): 19/06/2020

Date of letter requesting biometrics:(10 weeks and 2 days from receipt of documents): 27/08/2020.

Biometrics appointment: 8 Sept 2020

Date of approval: Advised of successful application: 16/02/2021

Notice from Nationality Courier Service documents ready for collection: 23/02/2021

Documents returned: 11/03/2021

Invitation for ceremony: 20/05/2021

Date of ceremony: 15/06/2021

Date applied for passport: TBA

Date passport received: TBA

cnhartford
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by cnhartford » Fri May 21, 2021 11:56 pm

Today I quite unexpectedly received my formal approval letter, along with the documents (birth certificate, passport, etc.) that were submitted with my application. I expected I would be waiting months, but this is exactly 5 weeks from completing my biometrics. The letter is actually dated 8 May (3 weeks from biometrics). Guess the Home Office has picked up their pace!

The letter indicates that I will receive a separate Citizenship Ceremony Invitation Letter, and requests that I kindly not ask for any status updates as they're already working as quickly as possible.

Eligibility Criteria: UKM
Nationality: USA
Applying from: USA
Method of application: Online with documents sent via post
Payment method: Credit card
Date of application: 11/11/2020
Date funds withdrawn: 11/11/2020
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: 12/11/2020
Date documents sent: 13/11/2020
Date of receipt by UKVI (per tracking): 26/11/2020
Biometrics Requested: 15/02/2021
Email sent to HO requesting biometrics appointment: 15/02/2021
Followup email sent to HO regarding biometrics appt: 19/03/2021
Biometrics appointment received: 12/04/2021
Biometrics appointment date: 16/04/2021
Date of approval: 08/05/2021
Documents returned: 21/05/21

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Sat May 22, 2021 12:00 am

cnhartford wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:56 pm
Today I quite unexpectedly received my formal approval letter, along with the documents (birth certificate, passport, etc.) that were submitted with my application. I expected I would be waiting months, but this is exactly 5 weeks from completing my biometrics. The letter is actually dated 8 May (3 weeks from biometrics). Guess the Home Office has picked up their pace!

The letter indicates that I will receive a separate Citizenship Ceremony Invitation Letter, and requests that I kindly not ask for any status updates as they're already working as quickly as possible.
Congratulations!

My letter contained the same language about not asking for updates. I'm 3 months into waiting for the invite.

What part of the US are you in? I'm Atlanta, GA.

cnhartford
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by cnhartford » Sat May 22, 2021 12:06 am

Sat May 22, 2021 12:00 am
Congratulations!

My letter contained the same language about not asking for updates. I'm 3 months into waiting for the invite.

What part of the US are you in? I'm Atlanta, GA.
Thanks, it was a welcome surprise!

I'm located in Phoenix, AZ.

cobra2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by cobra2 » Sat May 22, 2021 4:43 am

cnhartford wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:56 pm

Thats good news, congrats. My biometrics was on April 13th, so hopefully I get an email soon. Thanks for keeping us updated, it really helps keep the hope alive. Did you by any chance get a email previously saying that your application would take longer than the anticipated 6 months?

cnhartford
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by cnhartford » Sat May 22, 2021 6:25 am

cobra2 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:43 am
Thats good news, congrats. My biometrics was on April 13th, so hopefully I get an email soon. Thanks for keeping us updated, it really helps keep the hope alive. Did you by any chance get a email previously saying that your application would take longer than the anticipated 6 months?
I did, about a week after I completed my biometrics:
"We aim to process all applications within 6 months from the date submitted. However, in certain circumstances this target is not possible. Following our assessment of your case, unfortunately it appears your application will not be processed within the 6 month target."
Thankfully they don't appear to be too far off their target.

cobra2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by cobra2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:03 pm

I got all my documents back today in the mail, really thought they sent an email to approve you and then mailed your documents back but apparently not. Letter of approval is in there and dated May 20th.

Jeda

Post by Jeda » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:27 pm

cobra2 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:03 pm
I got all my documents back today in the mail, really thought they sent an email to approve you and then mailed your documents back but apparently not. Letter of approval is in there and dated May 20th.
Hi Cobra2
Very happy to hear your news. Funny how some of us get an email first. At least you've got your approval and docs back. If your timeline is anything like mine, you should get your ceremony invitation (mine was by email) from the British Consulate (if outside UK) in about 3.5 months. My ceremony is in just over a week. It will be exactly a year since I applied.

Jeda