ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ex-family member of an EEA national applying for UK citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

TerryGH
Chile

ex-family member of an EEA national applying for UK citizenship

Post by TerryGH » Thu May 13, 2021 8:10 pm

Hi all, if anyone can help with the below, it will be really appreciated.
So a non-EEA person with a settled status is applying for naturalisation. They divorced their EEA spouse before this application. How to answer the following question:

Are you either:
An EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence document
A family member of an EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence card

My feeling it should be "no", as they're not a family member of EEA national anymore. But at the same time they do apply based on a biometric residence card (which I understand is the same as permanent residence card). And if "no" answer is selected, then application is asking about BRP instead.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: ex-family member of an EEA national applying for UK citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 13, 2021 8:36 pm

Correct - answer "no" - permanent residence document/card refers to ones issued under EEA regulations (which before Settled Status used to be the norm).
Applicant is using UK Settled Status under UK immigration regulations. BRP and BRC are effectively the same thing.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Thu May 13, 2021 9:01 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:36 pm
BRP and BRC are effectively the same thing.
Thanks!

shahka
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by shahka » Mon May 17, 2021 7:57 pm

Hiya, quick question, I’m kind of in the same situation but have only just been granted decree nisi! But was wondering are you including your marriage certificate, as well any docs etc to show that you qualified when you applied for the Residence card and the eu settlement scheme? Hope that makes sense!

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Mon May 17, 2021 8:33 pm

I don't think it's required at all. They only ask for proof of ILR (so BRC + settled status proves it) and 5 years of residence.

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:47 pm

I have a couple of more question which I hoped you guys can help with.

1. I will be eligible to apply for UK citizenship in a couple of weeks. Am planning to do exactly on the anniversary day of my ILR. Given I need to attach letter from my employer, can I request it from HR several days in advance of the day when I'm eligible? E.g. I'm applying on 15 June (which is exactly 1 year after getting ILR), but the letter from the employer dated 8 June, is that a problem?

2. My 5 years of residence were split between Tier 2 visa and BRC. I have stamps in my passport from the time when I was on Tier 2, but they stopped stamping it after I got BRC. Do I still need to scan all pages with stamps? And do I need to explain why there are no stamps for the last 2 years?

3. Both my referees are members of professional bodies, but I'm not sure where it should be indicated. Should I indicate it somewhere at all or HO will guess based on their professions which I included in the application form?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:44 pm

1) Its fine.

2) It is best to scan full passport covering the qualifying period. No explanation needed for stamps. You will rely on alternate proof of residence.

3) Just declare the details as asked truthfully. HO will make their own checks.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:59 am

Thank you @CULLINAN

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:44 pm

Another question from me.
I've just applied for naturalisation. They asked to indicate council for citizenship ceremony. I've put one where I live currently. But I want to move to another area in a couple of months. If I don't get decision by this time (and given it currently takes 6 months, it's unlikely I will), would it be any problem?