ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does my work need a copy of my ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tsvdheever
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Does my work need a copy of my ILR?

Post by tsvdheever » Tue May 18, 2021 9:10 am

I'm due to finish my application on Friday and paid extra for the premium service - so should get my ILR before the end of next week.

The company I worked for has requested to have a copy of my ILR - not sure why, but I feel somewhat uncomfortable with this. I presume there is no legal reason they need this? I can refuse to give them a copy?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Does my work need a copy of my ILR?

Post by CR001 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:54 am

You are required to provide your employer with your proof of your right toe fork when your immigration status or visa changes. The employer has a legal right to ask you for this to ensure they comply with immigration rules/laws.

It is not a choice you have on whether you can refuse to do it or not.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 18, 2021 10:45 am

The Home Office may impose fines on employers, if they do not have evidence of employees’ right to work.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 18, 2021 11:16 am

Fairly standard procedure for the employer to require proof of the person's ability to work in the UK. I believe that they have a legal obligation to have it on file anytime they are asked to prove that they have not hired any illegal migrants.

And that has been the case for years. My employer has asked the same of me twice, first when I got the ILR and second when they had misplaced the copy I had given them of my ILR BRP.

And why are you so uncomfortable with giving them a copy of your ILR BRP?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.