ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel without Gnib card

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

grgpetrovich
Newly Registered
Seychelles

Travel without Gnib card

Post by grgpetrovich » Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 pm

Hi

Just wonder. My wife is waithing on certification of naturalisation.We need to travel since she doesn't have gnib any more..is that immigration stamp ok to travel with.She is from visa required country.

Thanks

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Travel without Gnib card

Post by Vorona » Tue May 18, 2021 10:28 pm

Airline won't let her on board on the return flight. Get a re-entry visa.

phoenix49
Ireland

Post by phoenix49 » Wed May 19, 2021 7:57 am

From my personal experience I can tell that I managed to travel twice without an IRP card and a Re-Entry Visa (back in 2019). First time when I forgot to take my IRP card, I was lucky that the airline didn't really bother to check the Visa as everyone was in rush (Aer Lingus), second time (no IRP card due to citizenship application) it was very stressful, despite having a colour copy of my IRP card, Ryanair staff in Spain was very strict, it took 30-40 mins for them to tell me that they want the original. In the end they called Immigration officials in Dublin and they confirmed that I have a stamp 4 there and let me fly. By law they required to call if in doubt.

Both times it took 10 seconds to pass the immigration in Dublin :)

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed May 19, 2021 9:34 am

phoenix49 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:57 am
By law they required to call if in doubt.
That is incorrect. The airline does not have to call the immigration control, as long as you don’t hold the required documents as specified on the airline’s website. In Ryanair’s case, it’s always either a valid visa or a valid original IRP card. You were just lucky that the airline made the effort to call the immigration instead of denying you boarding right away.

The advice to the OP is simple. Apply for a re-entry visa. It’s fairly quick and no fuss. Otherwise you would always have the risk of not being able to board the plane.

grgpetrovich
Newly Registered
Seychelles

Post by grgpetrovich » Wed May 19, 2021 10:00 am

Thanks for your help.

Any idea can it be done in 2 weeks time..and just wonder why stamp in passport is not inaf is not inaf..it is valid until 2023 and if we travel back together is that make any diffrence

Thanks again

avta
Ireland

Post by avta » Wed May 19, 2021 11:11 am

Hey,
The re-entry visas processing is quite fast now, you can check the processing time on the inis website.
The stamp itself is not in the list of allowable entrance permission, that normally spread by the foregin ministry to the airlines and other carriers. It can be accepted by local immigration, but will be rejected by any check in staff remotely.

grgpetrovich
Newly Registered
Seychelles

Post by grgpetrovich » Wed May 19, 2021 11:47 am

avta wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:11 am
Hey,
The re-entry visas processing is quite fast now, you can check the processing time on the inis website.
The stamp itself is not in the list of allowable entrance permission, that normally spread by the foregin ministry to the airlines and other carriers. It can be accepted by local immigration, but will be rejected by any check in staff remotely.
Thanks very much for your time..much appreciated

grgpetrovich
Newly Registered
Seychelles

Post by grgpetrovich » Wed May 19, 2021 11:47 am

avta wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:11 am
Hey,
Thanks very much for your time..much appreciated

phoenix49
Ireland

Post by phoenix49 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:01 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:34 am
phoenix49 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:57 am
By law they required to call if in doubt.
That is incorrect. The airline does not have to call the immigration control, as long as you don’t hold the required documents as specified on the airline’s website. In Ryanair’s case, it’s always either a valid visa or a valid original IRP card. You were just lucky that the airline made the effort to call the immigration instead of denying you boarding right away.
It may not be a "law", but Airlines are also not in a position to "deny entry" to the country, legally speaking, as they are not immigration officers. When you show them evidence that you are a legal resident in Ireland (a copy of IRP card, a stamp 4 with date, etc) - they should (again, they can deny if they want) contact immigration officials. There is a page for Ryanair describing to contact ticket desk agent so they contact Ryanair Immigration Department if "clarifications are required".

From same page "We reserve the right to refuse travel, if there is a failure to comply with this requirement." So you need to comply with the requirement: "all non-EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and stamped at the Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk" - which implies to provide evidence that you can legally enter Ireland (Visas, IRP cards or else).

A similar case with more details, albeit in UK: https://www.expatforum.com/threads/forg ... st-3776641 .

Anyway, Re Entry visas are issued very fast nowadays and I would apply for it rather than risk it.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Wed May 19, 2021 12:41 pm

phoenix49 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:01 pm
Airlines are also not in a position to "deny entry" to the country, legally speaking, as they are not immigration officers. When you show them evidence that you are a legal resident in Ireland (a copy of IRP card, a stamp 4 with date, etc)
Commercial carriers like airlines must comply with the relevant regulations and policies, otherwise they are risking being fined (and then they will seek the costs from you). Copies of residence permits or passport stamps are not valid for airlines. They can easily deny your boarding if they find your document not sufficient for a trip. Just because they made exemption it does not mean that you can expect them to do this every time.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Wed May 19, 2021 12:49 pm

The same applies to people who lost GNIB cards while abroad, like I did a few year back when I was in Germany. Although I have a passports that allows visiting Ireland for 3 months visa-free, I still went to police to get an incident report just to be 100% safe that I have something official.

Julio_Tebenado
Newly Registered
Cuba

Post by Julio_Tebenado » Wed May 19, 2021 2:09 pm

Vorona wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:28 pm
The re-entry visa is being provided now only either to those who are on stamp 6 (means, already having naturalisation certificate) or to minors who do not hold IRP at all. Other stamp holders are kind of in limbo once IRP is sent out. There is no even application form for them to apply for re-entry visa. The abolishment of re-entry visas in May 2019 made life easier to some extend (and cheaper) until one gets naturalised and releases their IRP. Here we have a problem of which INIS seems never thought of.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed May 19, 2021 3:12 pm

Julio_Tebenado wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:09 pm
Vorona wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:28 pm
The re-entry visa is being provided now only either to those who are on stamp 6 (means, already having naturalisation certificate) or to minors who do not hold IRP at all. Other stamp holders are kind of in limbo once IRP is sent out. There is no even application form for them to apply for re-entry visa. The abolishment of re-entry visas in May 2019 made life easier to some extend (and cheaper) until one gets naturalised and releases their IRP. Here we have a problem of which INIS seems never thought of.
This has been clarified a million times now. Stamp 6 has no relation to a re-entry visa WHATSOEVER. It has been clarified here. It has been clarified by INIS. It has been clarified in the Oireachtas.
If you have a valid permission to live in the state, you do not have an IRP card for WHATEVER reason, and you need to travel abroad, APPLY FOR A RE-ENTRY VISA. Use the application form for Stamp 6 holders, but there is NO NEED to have a stamp 6.

Julio_Tebenado
Newly Registered
Cuba

Post by Julio_Tebenado » Wed May 19, 2021 5:27 pm

You are kinda contradicting yourself. First you are saying that Stamp 6 has no relations to re-entry visa whatsoeverwrittenincapitals, and in the next sentence you are recommending to use re-entry visa application form for stamp 6 holders. I would say, it's a pretty obvious procedure when one having stamp 4 should go and use application stamp 6 application form (sarcasm) in case of need, e.g. when does not possess irp anymore but still has stamp in the passport.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed May 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Julio_Tebenado wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:27 pm
You are kinda contradicting yourself. First you are saying that Stamp 6 has no relations to re-entry visa whatsoeverwrittenincapitals, and in the next sentence you are recommending to use re-entry visa application form for stamp 6 holders. I would say, it's a pretty obvious procedure when one having stamp 4 should go and use application stamp 6 application form (sarcasm) in case of need, e.g. when does not possess irp anymore but still has stamp in the passport.
INIS has been using the Stamp 6 form for all adults' re-entry visa applications since the day the re-entry visa was abolished. I'm not recommending it. It's the POLICY. A lot of people have got the visa in the past 2 years due to various reasons (expired IRP, recently naturalised), me included. What's your point? If you don't want to do a proper research or at least ask INIS, then at least don't spread false information.

jlad

Post by jlad » Wed May 19, 2021 5:45 pm

Apologies to hijack this post. I am non visa required national to ireland and currently living in Ireland.
Just for my knowledge, if whatever reason I need to travel out of ireland without my IRP, do I need to apply for re entry visa or is it something I could fly out and just come back into ireland as check in staff in any foreign country never asked for my permission etc as my passport alone is usually sufficient for entry to Ireland (of course subject to immigration clearance in Dublin). Thanks.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed May 19, 2021 5:55 pm

jlad wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:45 pm
Apologies to hijack this post. I am non visa required national to ireland and currently living in Ireland.
Just for my knowledge, if whatever reason I need to travel out of ireland without my IRP, do I need to apply for re entry visa or is it something I could fly out and just come back into ireland as check in staff in any foreign country never asked for my permission etc as my passport alone is usually sufficient for entry to Ireland (of course subject to immigration clearance in Dublin). Thanks.
If you are a non-visa required national, you don't need a re-entry visa.
Some airlines have temporary restrictions on non-residents for travels from outside of EU to an EU country, although I believe that should have all gone now. Just make sure you read the small prints.