ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surname Updated and Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

Al33

Surname Updated and Naturalization

Post by Al33 » Sun May 23, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I have recently updated my surname on my non British passport, and now planning to apply for citizenship (Naturalization).

Do i need to make an application to update my ILR BRP first or I can apply for Naturalization without updating BRP.

Thank you
Ali

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Surname Updated and Naturalization

Post by CULLINAN » Sun May 23, 2021 3:49 pm

The guidance says you have to update details on BRP in case of a name change within 3 months of the change, otherwise you could be fined.
However, in your case, you are applying for Naturalisation and will be returning your BRP after Naturalisation. So an updated BRP does not make sense at this stage if you do not plan to travel.
As long you do not plan to travel, I believe a clarification in the cover letter should suffice.
But if you plan to travel, you should get the name updated. Note it can take good few months to get a replacement/updated BRP.
https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Al33

Re: Surname Updated and Naturalization

Post by Al33 » Sun May 23, 2021 11:12 pm

Thanks for the detail answer - much appreciated