ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Not at home for return of my foreign passport during citizenship application?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ultrablaze
Newly Registered
Canada

Not at home for return of my foreign passport during citizenship application?

Post by ultrablaze » Tue May 25, 2021 10:30 am

Hello all,

I have submitted my application for citizenship by naturalization about a month ago, I am still waiting for my original passport to be returned to me by registered post as the first step in the process.

With the country re-opening, I had hoped to go somewhere within Ireland for a holiday of perhaps a week. However, I feel like I would be paranoid wondering if my passport was trying to be returned to me and I was not at home, which could send it back through the loop for an unknown amount of time. I expect this could turn up anywhere from tomorrow to months from now, so if possible I'd rather not be stuck home till it does.

I'm hoping someone has happened to miss this delivery, and knows what happens in this case? Do they just quietly keep trying for a few days? Do they contact you via a note or phone/email to schedule a new delivery date? Is there any case where it gets returned to the sender?

I'm thinking if there is at least a note left, I can have a neighbor check my mailbox daily and I'll dash home for the next day should I get unlucky with the timing.

Thanks for your help!

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Not at home for return of my foreign passport during citizenship application?

Post by Vorona » Tue May 25, 2021 11:25 am

I found mine lying on the floor in the morning, it was put through the letterbox.

drfas
Pakistan

Re: Not at home for return of my foreign passport during citizenship application?

Post by drfas » Tue May 25, 2021 11:33 am

My experience was different, I got a call from team 3 and said that I missed my delivery and the passport was returned to them. I had tk confirm my address with then and they sent it back via registered post. I think it depends on the postman either he will put it through the post box or will leave a note to collect it within five days

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue May 25, 2021 1:48 pm

It really depends on the postman. They may leave it with your neighbour, leave it in your letterbox, leave a note for you to pick up within 5 days, or simply return to sender if uncollected within 5 days.

If you live in a house, try to talk to the postman in advance and agree with an alternative solution - be it leaving in your letterbox or leaving it with your neighbour. Or if you have a video doorbell (e.g. Amazon Ring or Google Nest), you can talk to your postman when they press your doorbell.

If you live in an apartment, it is most likely that they will just leave a note. There’s not much you can do about it.

We have a Delivery Box installed outside so postman can simply drop any small packages in the box. It costs just a one-time fee of 70 euro. https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Rec ... livery-Box

One last option is to use the temporary redirection services. 35 euro for up to 1 month, where you can instruct An Post to deliver all of your mails to somewhere else. https://managingmail.anpost.ie/Redirect ... 1621949914

ultrablaze
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by ultrablaze » Wed May 26, 2021 9:16 am

drfas wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:33 am
My experience was different, I got a call from team 3 and said that I missed my delivery and the passport was returned to them. I had tk confirm my address with then and they sent it back via registered post. I think it depends on the postman either he will put it through the post box or will leave a note to collect it within five days
How long did this take then till they sent it again? Was this recently? I'm worried this will add a huge amount of delay to getting my passport back...

Thanks for the responses anyway, but it seems like there is no official policy then? Not even if this comes by registered post or normal post, right? It seems pretty risky to send important originals by normal post, but at least in this case that means it should just be delivered straight to my mailbox

Guess I can take my chances and have the neighbor check my mailbox for the document or a note saying I missed them.