ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question for returning UK citizen and wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mitchmcc
Newly Registered

Question for returning UK citizen and wife

Post by mitchmcc » Thu May 27, 2021 1:42 pm

Hi

We're starting to prepare for retirement in a couple of years time and are planning to return to the UK and have a question about immigration/citizenship.

I am a dual UK/USA citizen, my wife is a US citizen. We have been living together in the USA for 30 years. I was born and raised in the UK and lived there permanently until I was 26. When we retire we would like to move back to the UK (although we do plan to do a lot of traveling). We will have sufficient retirement income to support ourselves.

I've tried to find information online but the only thing I can find for partners is for those joining UK citizens who are resident in the UK. Is there a process for my situation? Obviously, I don't want to separate for a few years and then have her join me once I have re-established residency.

Thanks
Mitch

Casa

Re: Question for returning UK citizen and wife

Post by Casa » Thu May 27, 2021 1:52 pm

It's the same Spouse visa online application. Under the current regulations you will need to submit documented evidence of either £62,500 in savings which have been held in a accessible account for at least 6 months, or the equivalent amount from the sale of property (which doesn't have to be held for 6 months prior to submitting the application).

You will also have to show that you have adequate accommodation which will be available on your arrival in the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mitchmcc
Newly Registered

Post by mitchmcc » Thu May 27, 2021 7:43 pm

Hi Casa

Thanks for responding so quickly. Is this the application you're talking about: https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/visa-type

I think I was mis-reading that. It says that the partner (me) must be settled OR be a British citizen so I guess being a citizen I can apply for her even though I'm not currently resident. Do you have any idea how long this process takes? I recently helped a foreign national apply for entry for his family here in the US and it took several years so that's why I'm looking at this so far in advance!! If we're retiring in 2-3 years should I start the process now?

Thanks again for your help
MItch

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Fri May 28, 2021 11:19 am

UKVI advise you apply no more than 3 months before you and your wife plan on moving (in a situation where you move together). No harm in researching the requirements of the visa, evidence you will need (quite extensive in many cases) and how to apply at this stage though.